Large cichlid tank possible parasite?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Slatts

Reaction score
Silly question. I have a large cichlid tank with oscars, a blood parrot, and a green terror. I saw this floating across the tank and I was wondering if this was a worm or a parasite? I thought I saw it wiggle but it could have been from the filter current. I have a video of it but not sure how to send it so I took a picture.

Attachments

• C09125F7-85A3-4CD0-862A-5BAA8A81D757.jpeg
    C09125F7-85A3-4CD0-862A-5BAA8A81D757.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 71
I moved it around for awhile in a cup to see if it would move and it wouldn’t. I also put a lot of aquarium salt into the cup it was in to see if it would move then and it didn’t. I threw it away after that.

Mix 1 table spoon of pure epsom salt in 500 millilitres of water (I've seen distilled water recommended, but my tapwater has a TDS of 4 and I've used it without issue. Just find a source of water with low TDS imo). Soak fish food with this dilution and it helps clear out internal parasites without harming the fish.

Do you feed your cichlids any type of worms? I gave mine frozen bloodworms occasionally. They pooped them out looking pretty much as they went in the other end, only more disgusting. I used a Turkey baster to remove them multiple times a day. No more worms for my fish. Too gross!

Do you feed your cichlids any type of worms? I gave mine frozen bloodworms occasionally.
Bloodworms are insect larvae from the Chironomid midge. They have a hard head that does not break down easily and doesn't get digested by fish. I used to cut the head off the bloodworms and throw the heads away, then feed the body to the fish. After a while I just stopped using them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back