L_Plates - Shrimp Tank

Cheers guys, i will put into practice the advice. I will have to wait on the hacking of plants though due to lots of little shrimplets hiding away :)

LP

CRS are renowned to being sensitive, sometimes the quality of the stock may not be good...

Your staurogyne has been grown emersed, it doesn't grow as tall grown submersed, so all tall stems have been grown out of water. Staurogyne is one of those plants that is almost always grown emersed, and as the Tropica website say's you will almost always loose the emersed leaves.

During planting in the aquarium, the longest upright shoots should be cut off and each pot should be divided into 2 to 4 pieces which are then planted close to each other in a small group. The emergent leaves will eventually die-off when under water and these may also be removed during planting. By doing so, the low compact growth form is maintained. In the aquarium, Staurogyne repens develops new horizontally creeping shoots from the plant basis which soon form a beautiful carpet. The ability makes it an ideal plant for the foreground.

As before, you can either give it a good hack back or do what you did with the Alternanthera, it takes a while to take off, but when it does it looks ace. Mine at present is just starting to take off.

Not sure if this was aimed at me? lol... if so....

I wasn't disagreeing with you mate.... what i meant is i have brought all mine (this time and previously) off people that have had it in a well established tank... hence i know all mine have been grown submersed :good: .... i wouldn't know about the above because ive never had it happen with staury... mine has always been shipped to me and it has just continued to grow with no emersed melt.

I would be inclined to do as Ian has mentioned LP and then just give it time but be sure to remove as much of the decaying matter as possible.... the last thing you want is continuous ammonia spikes which will give you algae problems on top :crazy:

sorry Jake, no it wasn't lol, what i was trying to get at it, the rotting leaves from the staurogyne are probably not harming the shrimp, but these rotting leaves do cause ammonia spikes and if you have a sensitive bunch of CRS this will do more harm than good. It's quite difficult to kill shrimplets, they will normally move when they see scissors. I would hate you to loose the shrimplets as well. Theres some moneys worth there, as from that pic, even though they are small, you can tell they are of good grade.

I was worried about having to re plant after the trim ian and burying any of the little fellas. Im sure it wont happen so ill look into to trimming tonight.

Thanks again guys, LP

they're better at jumping out of the way than a Kangaroo with a pogo stick. I remember trimming so Riccia and found a small colony of Cherries whilst trimming, i didn't catch one!

sorry Jake, no it wasn't lol, what i was trying to get at it, the rotting leaves from the staurogyne are probably not harming the shrimp, but these rotting leaves do cause ammonia spikes and if you have a sensitive bunch of CRS this will do more harm than good. It's quite difficult to kill shrimplets, they will normally move when they see scissors. I would hate you to loose the shrimplets as well. Theres some moneys worth there, as from that pic, even though they are small, you can tell they are of good grade.

:good: .... was just checking mate... didn't want to confuse the situation for LP anymore than it had to be lol.

I have now trimmed back the plants that are melting, fingerscrosed they survive the chop.

Good news on the shrimplets, I have found 5 in total so far. I am sure there are more but they are so hard to spot :D

The mother is still full of eggs as well.

LP

I needed some luck with the few issues i have had with the melt, shrimp deaths and bacteria on the wood, which by the way is still haging around :D

LP

More good news for me, 3 of the larger shrimp are now with eggs :)

The 5 shrimplets that i spotted are growiing well to. I will get some photos when they get a little bigger.

LP

Nice to hear about your shrimpys, mine are getting to a nice breeding size now so fingers crossed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back