L_Plates - Shrimp Tank

Here is a couple of the HC.

IMAG0744-1.jpg

IMAG0743.jpg

This is one of the plants looking a little sorry for itself, not all of them are like this.

IMAG0745.jpg

And one of the full tank

IMAG0746.jpg

I am just wondering if they took a battering by the Japonica shrimp, they did eat some of them.

LP

Hmm just found one of the smaller better grade RCS dead :/

Time to check the water.

Water stats are fine. Unsure why i all of a sudden lost a shrimp first one since i got them. Maybe to much carbon ?

LP

That's a shame mate, looking good tho, bit of HC melt but its expected aye.

Well more bad news, i have now lost 3 shrimp in the last week. All water stats are ok. i have cut back to 1ml of excel a day just in case it was that.

Also the plants IE the staurogyne repens are still looking bad and going see through, infact i think they are getting worse. I do have the option to go pressurized Co2 but i am worried about the effect it may have on the shrimp. All thoughts welcome on this as always.

Also the HC is looking bad aswell. All leaves look like they are shriveling up :/

But one good thing has happend !

I have shrimplets !!!

Here is a snap spot it if you can ;)

IMAG0754.jpg

Please any help or ideas on the above are welcome, LP

Glad to see you have shrimplets mate, shame about the plants tho, excel wont do them harm, I was overdosing big time and spot dosing and I have all of my CRS and RCS still.

mmmm strange...

what stem is that?? ammania gracilis?? starougyne repens??

the HC it melting and keep a close eye on it.

Its repens ian, loosing all leaves :/

Think its to little excel, i will up it again if its no harm to shrimp, 2ml or 1.5 Steve 25ltr tank

cheers LP

it will lose all of it's leaves, give it a good hack back, they will re grow. It's quite important to do this with Repens and it doesn't actually get to a submerged form, the leaves will always drop. This is why it's quite a hard plant to grow.

http://www.tropica.com/advising/plant-articles/staurogyne-repens.aspx

Cheers Ian.

Another shrimp lost this morning :(

They dont seem to eat anything i add to the tank. I am wondering if this is the issue.

LP

There could be a ammonia spike of sorts which is not agreeing with the shrimp from the decaying plants, throughout the day while the plants are taking in nutrients (and maybe some excess ammonia?) it may be very low but once the lights go out and the build up of what the plants aren't using occurs, this could be the problems with the shrimp. Considering your saying there dieing at night?... this sounds very feasible.

Not to sure on the plant problems, it could just be lack of ferts and carbon as you say.... TPN whether it be brought or made is actually a weak solution and even dosing 1ml per 20l or so will still be quite weak. Whats the flow like round the tank?... i know HOB filters aren't very good at distributing water evenly due to the waterfall effect.

Ive never had staurogyne melt so couldn't really comment on what Ian has mentioned, mine has always been submersed grown before i have purchased and it just continued to grow everytime after planting, maybe yours is just melt, as maybe the HC?.

There could be a ammonia spike of sorts which is not agreeing with the shrimp from the decaying plants, throughout the day while the plants are taking in nutrients (and maybe some excess ammonia?) it may be very low but once the lights go out and the build up of what the plants aren't using occurs, this could be the problems with the shrimp. Considering your saying there dieing at night?... this sounds very feasible.

Not to sure on the plant problems, it could just be lack of ferts and carbon as you say.... TPN whether it be brought or made is actually a weak solution and even dosing 1ml per 20l or so will still be quite weak. Whats the flow like round the tank?... i know HOB filters aren't very good at distributing water evenly due to the waterfall effect.

Ive never had staurogyne melt so couldn't really comment on what Ian has mentioned, mine has always been submersed grown before i have purchased and it just continued to grow everytime after planting, maybe yours is just melt, as maybe the HC?.

I will take a water sample before lights go no.

Im dosing 6.5ml of EI daily, so i think the ferts are ok just lack of carbon. Im dosing 1.5 ml excel a day again.

The flow is ok i think when i add food it goeas all over the tank so i think it ok but i will double check this.

I will update soon.

Cheers LP

CRS are renowned to being sensitive, sometimes the quality of the stock may not be good...

Your staurogyne has been grown emersed, it doesn't grow as tall grown submersed, so all tall stems have been grown out of water. Staurogyne is one of those plants that is almost always grown emersed, and as the Tropica website say's you will almost always loose the emersed leaves.

During planting in the aquarium, the longest upright shoots should be cut off and each pot should be divided into 2 to 4 pieces which are then planted close to each other in a small group. The emergent leaves will eventually die-off when under water and these may also be removed during planting. By doing so, the low compact growth form is maintained. In the aquarium, Staurogyne repens develops new horizontally creeping shoots from the plant basis which soon form a beautiful carpet. The ability makes it an ideal plant for the foreground.

As before, you can either give it a good hack back or do what you did with the Alternanthera, it takes a while to take off, but when it does it looks ace. Mine at present is just starting to take off.

Its repens ian, loosing all leaves :/

Think its to little excel, i will up it again if its no harm to shrimp, 2ml or 1.5 Steve 25ltr tank

cheers LP

Wow I overdose my 35 with 1.5ml I'd use 1ml in there period and that's double dose.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back