L_Plates - Shrimp Tank

L_Plates

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I decided the best way to stop me messing around with my main community tank (as it needs to be left to grow in) would be to start a new project.

I decided on giving a shrimp tank a go, i'm still new to all aspects on Fishkeeping but i believe the only way to learn is to get stuck right in.

I managed to find a 27l tank on ebay brand new and nice and cheap so i snapped it up and the project started there.

Tank Specifics
Tank: Coopet Cube 27 Litre - Shrimp Tank
Dimensions: 30x30x30
Lighting: 11w
Filter: Coopet 240lph ( came with the tank )

Hardscape
Substrate: Colombo Flora Base Black
Rock: Mini Landscaping Rock from Aquaessentials
Wood: Manzanita Wood

Today my Substrate, Rock and Wood arrived 2 days late but never mind at least i can get started at last !

hardscape.jpg

This is the first time i have ever tried to really take care in the placement of wood and rock and all i can say is it is not as easy as people make it look !

I have used about 4 litres of Flora Base creating a gradual slope up to the top left of the tank. Then i started to play around with the wood and rock at about 19:00 hours. I finally stopped at 21:15 hours. Where did the time go !

Like i say this is the first time i have done anything like this so i hope you are not expecting anything jaw dropping, heh. Ok so here are a few snaps. Please note the background will be getting replaced.

Front View
scape1.jpg

Front View again but slightly higher
scape2.jpg

Side View
scape3.jpg

Side View again to show room at the back for plants
scape4.jpg

Plants
I am currently undecided on how i will be planting this tank. For the front i want a carpet and i am torn between HC carpet or trying a moss carpet using Fissidens Fontanus.

For around the rocks and between the wood i have been looking into using, Java Fern and Staurogyne Repens. Also i would like a red plant of some sort to add a little colour variation and i may add some moss to the wood aswell.

So that is where i am at on this tank. I will leave the layout for a few days and see if i feel the need to move, add or scrap the idea and start a new.

Thanks for reading and please all ideas, criticisms are very welcome.

LP

Nice start mate... nice layout and nice plant choice (love staurogyne)..... HC carpet would look nice but it's been done.... a fissidens carpet on the other hand isn't often tried and i think this would be my choice if i was starting another nano.

Only one thing i would say though.... the rock at front of the wood looks to large.... can it be laid down or dug into the substrate deeper?. At the moment everytime i look at the pic im drawn to that rock rather than what i want to be drawn to (the wood).

Either way it's gonna be interesting to see this develop :).... keep the updates coming :good:

nice mate :D if any of your java ferns in the big tank are sprouting new plants on the tips of their leaves they look wicked when minature and would grow well in there im sure. I've plucked a few off mine and glued them onto the top of a coconut cave :D

Excellent start LP! Love the wood and rocks! Think my shrimp tank needs a revamp now! Shame about the background mate, you've pulled it to tight I think. I would use a sample of black wallpaper from b&q or similar with it only being small.

Very nice, going to look great. Could you not pain the back black? :good:

Only one thing i would say though.... the rock at front of the wood looks to large.... can it be laid down or dug into the substrate deeper?. At the moment everytime i look at the pic im drawn to that rock rather than what i want to be drawn to (the wood).

Either way it's gonna be interesting to see this develop :).... keep the updates coming :good:

The rock that is with the main bunch or alone ?

Plenty of depth to push the rocks down a little so it wont be a problem.

LP

nice mate :D if any of your java ferns in the big tank are sprouting new plants on the tips of their leaves they look wicked when minature and would grow well in there im sure. I've plucked a few off mine and glued them onto the top of a coconut cave :D

None sprouting at the moment but there is plenty in there so maybe i could take some of the smaller ones out.

LP

Excellent start LP! Love the wood and rocks! Think my shrimp tank needs a revamp now! Shame about the background mate, you've pulled it to tight I think. I would use a sample of black wallpaper from b&q or similar with it only being small.

Good idea, i was going to go and get some black card at weekend from the craft shop. Might see if we have any at work though first. Tight #14### aint i hehe.

Very nice, going to look great. Could you not pain the back black? :good:

I could but i have never been a fan of painting a tank. Im known to be changing my mind all the time so if i wanted to blue or white in the future it would be a pain.

LP

Heh, what is the best paint to use if i was to go with the idea ?

LP

I just used homebase gloss black, 4 hour dry time, two coats. I want to do it on my 5 footer but its such a hastle now its in place :|

I think it makes the 90 litre look quite pimp...all be it rather empty in its current state. Just waiting for the plants in my big tank to go bananas before i take some cuttings :) :D

90l3.jpg

Or go in B&Q and get some sticky back vinyl sheet in black and use that, then if you ever want to remove it you can.

Good start btw. :)

Cheers mate, anyone know the best way to get sticky tape marks of the glass ? As you can see on the front.

LP

in the states we use GOO GONE on sticky tape residue, idk if you guys have that here, and also, it would probably be very toxic to the fish, so you'd have to be very careful with it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back