kn03

panboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have a decently planted tank, and my nitrate readings always read zero.

my plants are doing pretty good, but there are always a few that seem to struggle to stay healthy and dont look as great as they could be.

do u think kn03 would be helpful in this situation? thanks alot

I've just started to use it as I was also reading zero NO3, in particular my Hygrophila polysperma had almost stopped growing and was going pink (not the pink variety). It is working, the plants are pearling like mad again and I'm pruning more too.

I've kept the NO3 at about 5 mg/l.

since kno3 is potassium nitrate, does that mean it would release potassium as well.... kind of acting as a minor substitute for potassium fertilizer?

Yenko said:
Its much better to add KNO3 to your substrate instead of your tank water; that way only the plants can acess it.
But surely some of it will leech out into the water, no? :dunno:

I also have low nitrate in one of my tanks and am considering adding something like kno3.

Well, you could find a fertilizer tablet that is mostly KNO3 and push it into your substrate. If you have a source of pure KNO3, which many of us don't because of it's use in explosives, you could dissolve it in water then allow the water to evaporate, leaving KNO3 crystals which could also be pushed into the substrate.

If you have a plain gravel substrate the KNO3 will likely leech into the water and possibly do more harm than good. If you have a more or less watertight substrate, like soil, sand or even gravel with laterite then there will be next to no leeching of KNO3. Also, clay-rich soil, wether it's super-expensive laterite or plain old dirt with some clay content has a surface area 10,000 greater than sand (Don't even ask about gravel) and allows far more efficient transfer of nutrients to plant roots. Some clay in the substrate - not 100% clay; that would be too impervious to water.

If you have a tank with plain old gravel, your chances of growing plants are low. My dad had some sucess, but only by using much larger gravel than the average aquarium (about 5-10mm), and NEVER vaccuming his substrate. During the time his plants were getting established, weekly water changes kept his fish healthy. A layer of dead plant matter and fish waste accumulated on the bottom of his tank and plants rooted in it. Anerobic conditions were not an issue; plants bring enough oxygen into the soil to feed bacteria that oxidize Hydrogen Sulfide, a gas that is toxic to plant roots and fish, into water and sulfer dioxide, both of which are harmless. His tank is still doing fairly well. He has grown Valisinaria, Saggitarius, Aponogeton, Amazon and Melon Swords, Java Moss, Java Fern and Cryptocorynes in the tank. The only plant he could not grow sucessfully was Hygrophilia Polysperma. It was one of the first species he introduced to the setup, and it started growing like the weed it is, and died back just as quickly.

I would not risk adding ammonia in any form to the tank - NO3 compounds are not especially toxic to fish. Bass are known to live and reproduce normally in levels of >400mg/l. Levels this high would be a bad thing in an aquarium, but unless you are keeping delicate fish levels below 50 ppm are nothing to worry about.

The real cause of alage is usually excess phosphate and iron. Nitrates alone will not cause the problem. In many tanks with alage problems, unhealthy fish and high Nitrates, the nitrates are just a symptom of the real problem, overstocking or overfeeding. In the case of a beginner's tank, usually both.

thanks veyr much for the info yenko.

i think i understand why my tank grows so much algae.

i add flourish potassium and iron.

my plants do great when i keep puting some in, without overdosing, but its more than i would like. however, i do have large gravel, 5-10mm because i didnt think i would be planting.
well, i do put alot of fertilizer in just for my plants to barely look good, except for my crypts that thrive.

i guess my gravel is just ruining the whole process and doesnt allow the roots to absorb as much as possible.

i would definitely like to invest in smaller gravel, and i have been looking aorund lately actually.

do u think flourite would be necessary? or just nice small sand/or tiny gravel....?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back