Juwel RIO 400

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sanj

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Indians, Burmese, Indonesians, Australasians, Oh and a few Mexican immigrants...

Attachments

• Juwel_RIO_400_02_12_2004.JPG
    Juwel_RIO_400_02_12_2004.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 24
India's Red Line Torpedo-- still debate on whether it's a barb or a shark.

Anyway, great tank. Can you get one with less yellow so we can see where the plants are and where the sand is? :)

The vals look really good.

Yeah I know, it has come out too yellow, I have a rubbish camera.

Ill try taking better ones.

Yup the fish on the left are Redline Torpedo Barbs. Although currently designated as barbs there still seems to be some debate as to what it should be classified as.

Originially they were Crossichealus (spelling?) Like SAE's, but tbh they do not look like them, do not swim like them or behave like them.

I agree i think they look quite like sharks (as in like Silver sharks) in body form.

Plant aquascaping is still evolving, Alot of Rotala indica in there aswell, lots of vallis as you can see, Crypts (balansae, wendtii and some others), Hygro, salvinnia as floating plants, recently added some water reed Cyprus Helferi I think. Not sure how well this will grow. If it does well ill repalce alot of the Vall with it...not so invasive.

How are the torpedo barbs? I have a friend who is a breeder-- he's going to try to breed 'em, wishing him lots of lucky. Anyway, I cannot wait to see them when he brings 'em in this thursday-- beautiful fish. Wish I had a big enough tank for them as I even had to take my SAEs and give 'em to the same friend to take care of since he's got lots of huge tanks all running at the same time. Anyway yeah-- how are the barbs doing and how do they behave?

Yup thats right George, Denison's barb / Red line torpedo barbs are one and the same currently classified as Puntius denisonii.

I saw them on the Waterzoo website for £21 and when I was at Maidenhead Aquatics they had some tiny 1.5-2" ones for £19.

Waterzoo has very high standards, it is a good LFS no doubt, but it is also quite pricey.

You can get excellent quality RLTBs from Tri-mar by mail order, they are £10 each usually and sometimes they have an offer of 3 for £20, but these are smaller ofc.

They are not farm bred yet and it would be great to breed them, but i am wondering if they will be easy too? It is nt easy to breed SAEs (if they have) and I dont think there are confirmed breedings of bala's. if it is a bard, it isnt just any barb :p. Perhaps somone will soon?

Although they arent supposed to ship well I have found mine to be very hardy. They are gorgeous, the photo doesnt do the tank or the fish justuce. The red on these guys almost glows.

The largest is approx 4" and the smalles about 2". They should be able to reach 6".

They often school, cruising around the aquarium and are very peaceful although active. Considering they tend to come from mountain streams, they are probably used to high O2 conc^ although my temp is usually 26-7C and has cO2 injection (off at night).

I am still going through treating whitespot outbreak brought on by two new clowns. Its taking time, some other fishes got it, but seem pretty resilient not least these RLTBs. Not sure about one of the clowns though, pretty heavily infested :(

Despite the fairly high price these guys are well worth it, probably my favourite fish taking considering all their positive characteristics.

I really think they should be bought as a trio minimum as they are schoolers.

if you can accomodate them do so :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back