Just vacumed cleaned my 10g need advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Durbkat

Untrainable
Reaction score
I just vacumed cleaned my tank and all the junk has settled back down. So my question is is it ok to just pour the fish back in the tank or should I put some of the newly cleaned water in the container their in so they can get used to the water being alittle different than what their used to?

As far as i'm aware, most people don't remove their fish during a water change...

EDIT: But since you did, i'd dump them straight in unless you have a filter running

I didn't do a water change. I vacumed cleaned the tank. And I thought that it would scare the fish to much with a vacum cleaner chasing them around as I cleaned the tank and me taking the plants out so I can get everything out from the gravel and my hands being in their. Also all that poop being stirred around they might get sick from inhaling it. So thats why I take them out. So do I need to put some of the tank water in the tank or not?

Like i said, unless you have a filter running, dump them right in the tank. The ammonia that would accumulate in that bucket could kill them.

I do have a filter running in the tank and will be putting them in right now thanks for the advice.

Don't remove the fish it will cause to much stress, just vacum the gravel with them in there.

I always vaccum with mine in the tank.. Ive never heard of removing the fish before.. Id just dump them back in..

actually very few people remove fish, uproot plants and dig around alot to gravel vacuum. most people just use the gravel vacuum to remove the water for their water change.

this is what i do:
1) put the gravel vacuum into the water
2) starting with the end that is attached to the gravel vac, slowly put the siphon tube into the water but keep the other end above the water line (like putting a straw in a drink)
3) at the end of step two, there should be almost no air bubbles in the siphon tube
4) cover the end of the tube with your thumb
5) lower the tube into your water change bucket and then release your thumb
6) you should now have water flowing from your tank into the bucket
7) hold the gravel vacuum in one hand and slowly move it around the tank
8) don't disturb your plants' roots, just focus on cleaning the open spaces
9) if you really want to clean a specific spot, shove the end of the gravel vac into the substrate and watch the dirt go!
10) remove only about 10% to 30% of your water
11) stop the end of the siphon tube with your thumb again
12) with your thumb tight on the end of the tube, lift it straight up into the air over your tank
13) release your thumb
14) remove the gravel vacuum from the tank and go dump out your water

I vaccume my tanke every time I do a water change. I figured- Hey, If I'm sopending my time "cleaning" this tank, why not go the whole 10 yards? It'll only take a few more minuets - if that.

I leave the fish in there, do a 20% water change, just siphion up a bunch of just from the gravel and be done with it. If you vacume the gravel as much as I use to, you'd have no problem with fish inhaling poop....unless they poop a ton. But, I never had any problems.

2) starting with the end that is attached to the gravel vac, slowly put the siphon tube into the water but keep the other end above the water line (like putting a straw in a drink)
I suck my tube :)

Well these plants are fake so have no problem taking them out and another reason I take them out is because they will think that what they are in and all the things happening that its not a safe place and they won't come out to swim any more when the light is on. So I'd rather have them scared of the holding container I have than the tank they live in so they won't be scared of the tank.

I suck my tube

Never do that, i read you can catch things if they have deseases in the tank like fish tb.

:)

I'm going to die of tb now :|

I've always sucked the water out. Never thought of catching fish diseases before.

Just be careful you can swallow the water, i wouldn't do it anymore if i was you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back