Just Got 4 Tropical Fish - Please Read

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
another thing i noticed is that he has difficulity like swiming up, i mean he does swim up but swims down as if he likes bein in the bottom at 1 spot, hes sick? Oh and i have a question, i can put a odessa barb in my 10 gallon tank along with my other 3 tropical fish and 3 neon tetras yea? Oh and neon tetras eat the tropical flakes yea?

He's definitely not healthy if all he's doing is sitting and he has trouble swimming.

If I recall correctly, odessa barbs can get to about 2 or 3" long and are a bit aggressive, they'd probably go after your other fish.
Neons will eat flakes.

None of my other fish do that tho, he is sick for sure? Even now he is like sittin on the gravel and breathing alot all of my other fish are really active

We still need your water stats to help determine what is wrong. Medicating the fish won't do much good if something is wrong with it's environment. You have to fix what caused the problem, not just the problem itself or it will just happen again. Water stats help a lot.

cheers,
mikaila31

i cant get water stats atm, can u answr my other questions please

Dont add any more fish yet mate, what you need to do is get a test tube or something similar (needs to be clean, preferably new), take a water sample and take it to your LFS. ask them to test it and post the results here.

Ash

Your tank does NOT sound as though it is mature enough for the bio load you have put in, in other words you have fish in a tank that cannot deal with all the waste your fish are producing.

If you won't invest in test kit then go to the LFs and get them to check your water.

DO NOT ADD ANY fish, even if you get rid of the current fish you have, get your tank sorted properly before even thinking of getting any fish.

My advise would be to get rid of all your fish or just keep to the tetra's then go through a slow filter maturation by running the tank with just the tetra's, check the water on a regular basis, to make this cost effective invest in a water test kit.

You are making your fish ill so returning or treating ill fish ain't going to work until you sort out the tank.

i cant get water stats atm, can u answr my other questions please

Don't add any more fish until you fix the problems you have.

Look, it's not terribly hard to create a stabile tank. You've been arguing with people that are giving you some very good advice. Have you been reading it at all?? I don't think, and yes....I read all 10 pages. It's ridiculous to think that you can just keep adding fish to a problem tank. 1in per gallon is a guideline. And it's also intended that you take into account the final, adult, size of the fish when thinking about adding any fish into your tank. Also, do some research before thinking of putting ANY fish into your tank. I ask these questions before adding any fish in:

1) What are the fish's space requirements? (An Oscar requires much more space than a guppy)
2) What are the fish's feeding requirements? (1 feeding a day is fine for some, but not fine for others)
3) Water Requirements? Some fish prefer a given type of water, i.e. African Cichlids
4) Are your fish predatory? (Oscars will eat anything in the tank, as long as fits in its mouth)

Look, what I'm saying is research everything. You want make a change to your tank...think about what it'll do the fish. Can they survive the change? Some fish are more fragile than others.

This hobby isn't for the quick of action, which you seem to be. This hobby requires patience, planning, and lots of time.

Seriously, it's getting even more ridiculous.

Buy a fish, it gets sick, take it back, don't treat tank.
Buy a fish that'll get too big for the tank, take it back.
Buy more fish, they get sick, take them back, don't treat tank.
Buy more fish, wait until they get sick and either die or be taken back.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Seriously, it's getting even more ridiculous.

Buy a fish, it gets sick, take it back, don't treat tank.
Buy a fish that'll get too big for the tank, take it back.
Buy more fish, they get sick, take them back, don't treat tank.
Buy more fish, wait until they get sick and either die or be taken back.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

LOL...True dat...hence, my last statement. ;)

just came back from petland and my water is PERFECTLY fine, ph is normal aswell as ammonia. told you all that i have good water conditions. i bought 1 gold dust molly btw, so now i have 2 gold dust mollys, 1 neon dalmation platy and 2 neon tetras, now, 1 of my neon tetras that i bought yesterady( i got 3) died, i mean he didnt die but he was like rolling around and wasnt able to swim, the other 2 are perfectly fine, this is normal i guess because everyone i asked said that these neon tetras are really delicate and that even if i buy 50 of them, if 10 of them stay alive i should be lucky, they are so beatiful, could it be that its because i bought 3 of them and not an even number like 4? anyway i wanted to get 2 more like i said but they were sold out of neon tetras, friday they will get a new shipment of these little guys, but i heared that getting them the day they are shiped to the store is bad because they are already stressed from the trip and will most likely die very soon once i bring them to my tank, so i will wait until like monday, the 2 guys will be fine yea until monday when i get them friends? i mean they wont die because they are scared or anything yea?

Good, I'm glad your water is good. Your fish will be very happy.

But, do this...slow down. You don't HAVE to stock your tank completely all at once. In fact, it's better for the fish if you don't. As the bioload changes, the requirements on the filter will change. When that changes, the bacteria will grow to meet the change. You can stress out a fish, and kill it, simply putting too many fish in at once.

The general rule is 3 to4 per week. Unless you are adding something territorial, like female bettas.

We it me...I'd wait a couple of weeks, let things calm down in the tank a bit.

Your tetras will be fine for awhile. But, putting too many fish at once...been there, done that, bought the Dead Sea trading card package, if you take my meaning.

As I said before, patience.

did the lfs just say the water was "fine" or did they give you numbers? If you have numbers, post them. You should always get the lfs to write down the actual numbers for you, or better yet get your own test kit. I couldn't imagine keeping fish without a test kit, it really is essential

did the lfs just say the water was "fine" or did they give you numbers? If you have numbers, post them. You should always get the lfs to write down the actual numbers for you, or better yet get your own test kit. I couldn't imagine keeping fish without a test kit, it really is essential

oh god no mate, i was there when they did it and i looked at the color coded paper and at the color of my water after he mixed it with the liquid in the small containers, and he also said it that ammonia is good and ph is good aswell, i dont remember the numbers since all i looked at was the colors, i have a question btw guys, i made a mix up again, i dont have 2 gold dust mollys, i have 1 gold dust molly and 2 platys, 1 neon dalmation platy and 1 like orange with black spots platy, 1 question, since i put the new platy in the tank they are like chasing each other here and there, are they playing or what? its normal yea? btw i just feed them blood worms , they seemed to like it alot, my 2 neon tetras too, they liked it alot ;)

Soo how many fish do you have in your 10g Tank then because im confused your buying fish like theres no tomorrow if you get what i mean :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back