Just Got 4 Tropical Fish - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
you will find that about 2 weeks in the aquarium, the filter will start to overflow because the floss will be plugged.

“Ididnt say i will change the floss from the OLD filter every 2 weeks which is dirty already, regarding the new filter i will simply wash the sponge with aquarium water every month or so, but regarding the old filter which i will still run like u guys told me, FLOSS ONLY, no ammo chips or anything, i will change the floss in that old filter every mont or so too, that will be ok?â€

Every month or so will be fine. None of this is written in stone, if it seens to be really gunked up after 3 weeks, you will need to change it then. If it isn’t very dirty after 4 weeks you can let it go a little longer.

“andfor example if i change the floss in the old filter i should wait ATLEAST 2 weeks and only then clean the new filter's sponge too so there are no problems, did i understand that correct?â€

Yes you did.

“okso like i said, do i need to get a new filter floss for my old filter now because its really dirty? or i think first i need to wait the first 2 weeks like i said because it has benefitial bacteria , 2 weeks starting tommorow that is because i will install the new filter tommorow, before i install the new filter i will take out the old filter, dump out all the chips and just leave the old dirty filter floss in it for 2 weeks and keep runing the old filter along with my new filer that i will install tommorow, should i change the filter floss in the old filter after these first 2 weeks?â€

Dump the chips in the old filter, don’t clean the media, and keep the old filter running along with the new filter for at least two weeks. If the floss isn’t that dirty you can get by with rinsing it in old tank or other dechlorinated water, I find it easier to replace it, as a large bag of floss is cheap.

"Dump the chips in the old filter"

u mean dump them(the chips) out to the garbage right? i dont need these chips anymore.. the old filter will keep running with the drity filter floss only(no chips or anyhing else, just the floss.), i wont remove the old filter even after 2 weeks.. so ill just have 2 filters. tommorow evening when i will install the new filter, before i take out the old filter out so that i can dump the chips i will FIRST do the 25% water change so that i can finish my treatment proccess. then like i said ill take out the old filter, dump the chips to the garbage, so there will be only the dirty filter floss left in there. ill put the old filter back in and then ill continue with instaling the new filter, like i said i will run it WITH carbon for a week and then i will remove the carbon. after 2 weeks of running both filters together, i will check out the filter floss in the OLD filter and if its too dirty ill just take out the old filter and completely dump the old filter floss and il simply put a brand new fresh filter floss in the old filter. regarding the sponge in the new filter, i will just rinse it every month or so with aquarium water.

All good? that was a summary btw. i wrote that to be sure i understood all correct.

this question just rose up, by "filter media" you are reffering to the filter floss yea?

Filter media is all of the stuff you put in your filter. Including filter floss. :)

And nice attitude improvement. :)

"Dump the chips in the old filter"

u mean dump them(the chips) out to the garbage right? i dont need these chips anymore.. the old filter will keep running with the drity filter floss only(no chips or anyhing else, just the floss.), i wont remove the old filter even after 2 weeks.. so ill just have 2 filters. tommorow evening when i will install the new filter, before i take out the old filter out so that i can dump the chips i will FIRST do the 25% water change so that i can finish my treatment proccess. then like i said ill take out the old filter, dump the chips to the garbage, so there will be only the dirty filter floss left in there. ill put the old filter back in and then ill continue with instaling the new filter, like i said i will run it WITH carbon for a week and then i will remove the carbon. after 2 weeks of running both filters together, i will check out the filter floss in the OLD filter and if its too dirty ill just take out the old filter and completely dump the old filter floss and il simply put a brand new fresh filter floss in the old filter. regarding the sponge in the new filter, i will just rinse it every month or so with aquarium water.

All good? that was a summary btw. i wrote that to be sure i understood all correct.

Sounds all good to me. :good:

okie dokie friends. ill install the new filter tommorow as i mentioned, i hope all goes well. :)

ok all was installed and working correctly, i have 1 question tho, the top layer in the insert tray is the biomax, and when the filter is turned on and the water is flowing, the whole pack of the biomax is not underwater, most of the pack of the biomax is getting water thrrough it but there is a small part that the water doesnt touch , thats ok yea? anyway i will remove the carbon layer in a week so then the biomax layer will be completely underwater since it will be the second layer. oh and i have another question, 2 of my swordtails seems to be less active lately, what could be the problem?

The biomax should be fine as long as most of it is underwater. Your swordtails could be acting strange for a number of reasons. What are they doing that seems strange to you? I have read all 10 pages of this post :S and I still can't figure out if your tank is cycled or not. A water test would be helpful either way, with readings of: ammonia, nitirte, nitrate, and PH. Petland should be able to do this. Also some more pictures of your fish, because one appears to be a platy and the other looks like it might be a daino of some sort.

Cheers,
Mikaila31

what they do is maybe because its night and they are resting but i dunno, well they are like sittong on the gravel, but then swimming.. ill take a few pics later on, and my tank is cycled.

what they do is maybe because its night and they are resting but i dunno, well they are like sittong on the gravel, but then swimming.. ill take a few pics later on, and my tank is cycled.

Doesn't sound good. What are your test results?

None of my other fish do that tho, he is sick for sure? Even now he is like sittin on the gravel and breathing alot all of my other fish are really active

another thing i noticed is that he has difficulity like swiming up, i mean he does swim up but swims down as if he likes bein in the bottom at 1 spot, hes sick? Oh and i have a question, i can put a odessa barb in my 10 gallon tank along with my other 3 tropical fish and 3 neon tetras yea? Oh and neon tetras eat the tropical flakes yea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back