Just Got 4 Tropical Fish - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fish you got looks like a platy. I would NOT add any more fish to the tank.

okie dokie i just called the store and i asked them what is the other type of fish that is mixed with the swordtails and he said that its a neon dalmation molly. i dont know their sex. i just kno that i have 2 swordtail males and 1 regular orange moly and this neon dalmation molly.

can someone please answer my questions in my above post, post #104 that is.

You sure can leave that slot open. It's there if you need it, nothing saying you have to use it. I would wait until you are done medicating to add the new filter, then run the carbon for a couple of days. You will have to run the two filters together for at least two weeks, or else you will be removing any bio filtration you have with the old filter.

You could also pull the media from the old filter, and put it in the empty slot of the new filter, if you can fins a way to cram it in there. I've done this with media from different manufacturers by either folding it up, or using a portion of one of my wife's old nylons to contain it.

***Edit to add:

Yes, that is filter floss, you replace it when it gets dirty, ususally every couple of weeks in the average tank.

huh i see, but why should i put the filter floos in there if its NOT NECCSARY.. ill just have the biomax and the sponge in there, ill rinse the sponge with aquarium water every month. btw i didt know ill need to keep my old filter in there for atleast 2 more weeks after i install the new filter, btw the filter floss in my current old filter is dirty, i have ammo chips in there atm, so should i still keep it in there for atleast 2 weeks after i install the new filter? when i install the new filter monday night(when i finish the treatment), ill just put the sponge , biomax and the carbon in the new filter and have it running with the carbon for a week, then i will remove the carbon and let the filter work with just biomax and the sponge, then another week later i will completely take out the old filter and save it somewhere because i dont want 2 filters.. so will that be the right way to do it? oh and the last step of the treatment is to change 20% of the water, now, should i install my new filter and THEN change the 20% or first change the water and finish the treatment completeley and then install the new filter? oh and u guys are 100% sure i dont need the carbon after a week when its done cleaning out the medication yea? the water will be clean and nice without the carbon yea?

If you don't ffel it is necessary then don't run the floss. All they are selling as filter floss is polyester pillow stuffing, the same stuff you can buy much cheaper at Wal-Mart, or a fabric shop. It's some of the cheapest media around.

Sounds like you have a good plan, I would do the water change first, then set up the filter. You might want to consider keeping the old filter running as a spare for a med or quar tank, in case one fish gets sick in the future. A quar or med tank doesn't have to be a thing of beauty, or even a tank. A rubbermaid tub from the dollar store works fine for a quar/med tank, that, a filter, and heater is all you need.

I've never run carbon in filters unless I was removing meds.

okie dokie i just called the store and i asked them what is the other type of fish that is mixed with the swordtails and he said that its a neon dalmation molly. i dont know their sex. i just kno that i have 2 swordtail males and 1 regular orange moly and this neon dalmation molly.

Neon dalmatian molly??? Don't think that's possible. There are dalmation mollies, but they are black and white spotted, not orange.

Orange molly? Nope, never heard of that one either. Are you sure it's not a platy?

Hi,
I have the same filter you just bought the Aqua Clear. Its a really good filter and is very reliable. What I do is I change my carbon every 2 - 4 weeks. I hardly ever change my sponge, I just give it a good cleaning in old tank water once every month or so, I don't even clean it enough to make all white again just enough to get some of the gunk off. I also change biomax every month or so, sometimes not even that. But I NEVER change them all on the same day there always changed a good one to two weeks apart. This routine has worked for me very well. This is what I personally do, its just to give you ideas. You really have to do what is best for your tank.
For example, I have two filters on all my tanks for a back up, extra filtration, and an extra supply of bacteria when the other is rebuilding from when I change the media. Some my say that's not even necessarily.

Good luck, it seems like you really trying with you fish : )

TigerLotus

Why are you changing your Bio-Max??

your fish looks defiantly like a platy.
im 99% sure its a sunset mickey mouse platy.

a platy? I duno and wat u mean u never heared of an orange molly. And tolak, thx for the comment, ill leave the old filter like i said with the same ammo chips im running now and basically let it work just like it is now for 2 weeks and then ill remove it because like i said its floss is dirty and i dont see a need for 2 filters but i will keep it somewhere just incase, oh and ill run the new filter with carbon for a week and then ill remove the carbon, is the filter floos required? I mean doesnt the sponge do the same job that the floss does?

a platy? I duno and wat u mean u never heared of an orange molly. And tolak, thx for the comment, ill leave the old filter like i said with the same ammo chips im running now and basically let it work just like it is now for 2 weeks and then ill remove it because like i said its floss is dirty and i dont see a need for 2 filters but i will keep it somewhere just incase, oh and ill run the new filter with carbon for a week and then ill remove the carbon, is the filter floos required? I mean doesnt the sponge do the same job that the floss does?

He means that he has never heard of an orange molly.

Yea I just found out that i didnt need to after everyone responded. I also found out there was no need for carbon except for after medication which I didnt know either. I have never been told differently I guess, so I contuied to do it. Im done spending my on all that B) Thanks for the concern and thanks to everyone with the great 411, you gave me some good info and saved me some money :good: :yahoo:

TigerLotus

yep, see i made a good topic afterall ;) btw tolak, i should leave my old filter still running for 2 weeks even tho the floss in that old filter is dirty yea? I should just leave it running for 2 weeks with these ammonia chips i have in there basically as it is at this moment yea? Carbon will be added to the new filter, not the old since anyway ill take out old filter in 2 weeks so theres no need to add carbon to both filters especially when im only gonna have the carbon for a week at the most so yea this old filter i have now will keep on running as is for 2 weeks, this monday i will set up the new filter in the evening cuzi will be done with the treatment, ill put all 3 slots which are the sponge, biomax and the carbon, ill remove the carbon after a week. The old filter will be removwd in 2 weels, sounds like a plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back