Journal of my juvenile blood parrot? Cinders and our bonding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

16036361420996156588770933746334.jpg

those frogs seem fun! glad that they're all two separate tanks, otherwise I'm sure not much left of the frogs after parrots give them a nibble...
In doing some research on parrots I stumbled across this idea of "first generation" and "later generation" parrots, where the original ones had many more issues than the current ones, including a mouth that doesn't allow them to feed properly, swim bladder issues, etc. From what I understand, parrots for sale these days are more "healthy" than the original ones were. I assume there is still quite a bit of variation however, depending on the source/breeder, so I can't say that this is any kind of rule, but that's just something that I came upon in my reading.

I hope that Cinders and Flame become better buddies over the next few weeks! By the way, what kind of water parameters do you have? I've heard that parrots are pretty hardy and can adapt to a variety of parameters, but I'm curious what is working for you at the moment?

Well I'm going to upgrade my 29 to the 65 tomorrow if all goes to plan. Flame bit if a bully and I am guessing it's a tank size poor cinders seems afraid if him/het and is hiding alot although desperate to come greet me but every time it does is chased back into a hiding spot.... on a bright side cinders changing colours! The shabby grey is turning more orange and it seems to start from belly area. The little one very interesting looking right now.
20201105_213047.jpg

Well tank set up all I need to do put them in it...
16046772640018510640992043291466.jpg

Attachments

• 20201105_213225.jpg
    20201105_213225.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 53
That came together nicely! I hope that with a bigger environment the two will be able to coexist more peacefully... Hopefully Cinders will become more social and less bullied and get his colors!!

Flame still chases cinders if food involved.... I try feeding them in 2 different spots to keep this from happening but still continues. So I dont think its territory aggression but food base.....they remind me of some dogs during feedings...I'm wondering if they are same sex? Or not...I saw some youtube videos on cichlids being aggressive towards each other then when mature they become mating pairs..... so I'm still unsure of their gender.Cinders still a juvenile and a bit smaller then flame. Like I said just getting its adult colours. Flame is full on yellow. I'm pretty sure cinders be orange. I'm wondering if a 3rd blood parrot would help with equaling the aggression.... some youtube says never buy even number of fish... I dont know. I just want them to get a long. Lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back