Journal of my juvenile blood parrot? Cinders and our bonding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ladykelly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
20200930_164227.jpg
On September 25 2020 I went to petsmart looking for a blood parrot..... the blood parrots that were showing their adult colours was sold out:( but I took notice some interesting baby cichlids below that tank last week and there was 10 left. Last week I didnt pay any attention to the name tag on that tank even though those little ones certainly caught my eye with their outgoing attitude. How couldn't I not noticed them? These little ones watch me like a hawk looking for food. Unlike the blood parrots they didnt shy away from my finger that I lightly move around their tank glass but eagerly follow it
The 1st week I was their just browsing for a blood parrot. I didnt have my tank set up at the time so i didnt want to get one until another week. Unfortunately I wasnt expecting they all be sold within a week! Little discouraged that my trip was for nothing I glance down at the aquarium below and there were those strange brownish cichlids babies front and center watching me. This time I glance at the name tag and to my surprise it said blood parrot! So I narow it to 2 most curious.i only want 1 parrot..well unable to choose between the 2 lol I got the pet retailer to choose the one for me. I took the little one home and it literally checked out everything! Before finding a spot to semi hide to watch me from.

Last edited:
From sept 25 - Oct 8
I been feeding the little one by hand! At 1st I brought my finger close to its hiding places and drop a little food or blood worm treat but very soon it would eagerly snatch the food from my fingers. Thus our bonding started
20200925_152923.jpg

Sept 25- oct 8 I named it Cinders. I I noticed sometimes Cinders had stripes.... someone remarked that they might be stress stripe dont know but more concerning was white dots on tail that might be a sign of 1stage of ick.....

Last edited:
October 8 cinders is now showing signs of trusting me. It swam to the front of the tank today for 1st time when it noticed me enter the room and eagerly ate the food from my fingers and I got a good look at tail and a confirmation that cinder does have a small case of ick so quickly got ick guard that I had on hand and medicated the water. I also soaked a few blood worms in garlic water and fed Cinders that. Garlic is a immune system boost I been told

Last edited:
Oct 9 Cinders had those stripes this morning.... but eventually faded. And great news! The ick spots vanished. I will do a 50,% water change when home. I'm glad I caught it before it got out of hand....
20200930_164213.jpg
I been told that cinders might not be 100% blood parrot but a mix hybrid.... either a blood parrotx flowerhorn or blood parrot x convict.... what you all think?

That looks like a juvenile to me. They color up a ton. What size tank you got that guy in?

29 Galllon for now have a larger one down in basement that I will eventually set up when it outgrow this one. Can you tell if Male or female? I'm leaning towards male fins seem to be rounded not pointed....but I'm definitely no expert at sexting this type of fish

Oct 9 evening I bought some java moss and a micro sword for the tank and planted it after the 50% water change

Oct 10 early early morning to my surprise Cinders was awake right when I put its lights on....up to now cinder slepted in. Loli guess the little one starting to know my schedule....
16023245973835441150987109925735.jpg

As you can see tons of hiding spots

Attachments

• 16023250009435676199433034334553.jpg
    16023250009435676199433034334553.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 59

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back