Jellyfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hiya everyone hope youā€™re all having a great day!
So Iā€™ve recently read a lot about keeping jellyfish as itā€™s becoming more and more popular and I am extremely interested, whatā€™s everyones thoughts/opinions on this? has anyone ever actually owned jellyfish and had success? This has got me extremely intrigued and has made me desperate to try it one day.

I am also interested in the answer. If I were to do saltwater, it would probably be for jellies

I am also interested in the answer. If I were to do saltwater, it would probably be for jellies
Honestly same here, very interested in atlantic sea nettles they look stunning in some of the aquariums Iā€™ve seen. Prices arenā€™t too bad either. Heavily considering it as impulsive as I may sound haha but they seem easy to keep and feeding is brine shrimp related. Even possibly cheaper to do a diy build as long as the aquarium is well rounded with good flow. Iā€™m dissapointed I didnā€™t realise all this before!

Honestly same here, very interested in atlantic sea nettles they look stunning in some of the aquariums Iā€™ve seen. Prices arenā€™t too bad either. Heavily considering it as impulsive as I may sound haha but they seem easy to keep and feeding is brine shrimp related. Even possibly cheaper to do a diy build as long as the aquarium is well rounded with good flow. Iā€™m dissapointed I didnā€™t realise all this before!
Gonna be honest, my interest was sparked by an anime I watched while in middle school and has nagged me ever since. I think I saw a jellyfish tank for sale somewhere. I will have to find it...

Gonna be honest, my interest was sparked by an anime I watched while in middle school and has nagged me ever since. I think I saw a jellyfish tank for sale somewhere. I will have to find it...
Aw cool! Anime has some awesome tanks got to admit. Cubic is a good company that does tanks for reasonable prices for example the orbit 20 is around Ā£100 and can hold quite a few in there. My interest was sparked when I was thinking of doing a different saltwater tank and I thought hang on has anyone ever actually had jellyfish in an aquarium at home? turns out a lot of people have and itā€™s quite cheap too! After research it looks like it needs blue algae and ready mixed saltwater and baby brine shrimp is the food source, depending on size and species each jelly is around Ā£20 so it actually seems quite doable and maintenance doesnā€™t look to bad either :)

Jellyfish are awesome.

If I had the money for a saltwater tank, I would do a Lion Fish tank, as they are one of my favorite fish. :wub:

@Chad may be able to direct you in the correct direction.

Most Jelly need a special tank. A round tank really. They don't do well with corners. You can keep an upside down jelly in a lower flow marine tank but they are very different than your moon jelly is. As the name implies they kind of just sit in the sand upside down.

We had upside down jellyfish in the shop. They came off a bit of live rock and were tiny (4mm) when they appeared in the live rock tank. We put them in a tank that was 1 foot cube and had an air operated undergravel filter. We had a light on the tank and fed them newly hatched brineshrimp. They grew pretty well, but slowly. They bobbed around at night when the light was off but during the day they mostly sat on the bottom soaking up the rays.

I enjoyed this review on youtube, Do you really want a pet Jellyfish?

His comment "this is a pet that give nothing back" struck a cord, they are just 'bags' floating around the tank. Now if you could just setup a 20 gallon tank, it would be a fun project. But these guys require a special tank, it could be an expensive project.

Any ideas on how to build your own Jellyfish Tank?

Would an air operated undergravel filter just pull the jellies down to the gravel? Same issue with a sponge filter.

When you feed them, the filters could just suck the food into it.

I thought the beauty of Jellyfish is to create the "lava lamp" effect with them ie: just freely floating in the tank. That why you see the circular designs for the tanks.

For a challenge, a small saltwater tank with a Mandarin Goby, a truly stunning looking fish. Good news, they are being raised in farms. Bad news, getting them to eat is still difficult.

pez-mandarin.jpg

An air operated undergravel or sponge filter isn't going to suck jellyfish in. Power filters do but not air operated ones.

They normally use round tanks so the jellyfish don't get stuck in corners. That doesn't normally happen if there isn't too much water movement.

There are lots of ways to do a marine tank. The way I recommend is by using live rock as your filtration. I don't have a mechanical filter on my reef tank. I use live rock and sometimes macro algae in a refugium. Some tanks can have a skimmer, I don't currently.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back