Jellyfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I agree, jellyfish projects can be stupidly prices probably due to low demand. After all the research turns out best option would be to diy a tank for them as you could pull this off without spending too much on the tank. I agree with @Colin_T with the air filtration as the best bet as they also require good water flow to sustain themselves. Really cool concept in all honesty and I reckon if you could pull off breeding them then that would be so awesome considering when you try and find some of the other species you can keep, they are incredibly pricey (£70 for one small atlantic sea nettle!) plus with all the special requirements for each species it's a tough one but not impossible. Diy tanks price would really depend where you're from for materials, I'm so interested in these animals ?

There are lots of ways to do a marine tank.
Thanks, I should have been more clear. I was thinking about the Jelly tanks which create the circular flow.

If I was going to do a saltwater tank, it would most like be a 16 or 32 gallon Biocube with an anemone and clown fish(s). Very minimal.

Mark

Thats awesome! I think I've seen the exact same one somewhere too!
Honestly, if I had the dree time and money (and space, lol) I would totally buy the 5 gallon one. Only $22 for a jelly, not so bad as I was thing they would be.

. Diy tanks price would really depend where you're from for materials, I'm so interested in these animals ?

If you had a 20 gallon, frameless on the top. Cut a sheet of 1/4" PVC (or acrylic) to the width of the tank, put it in the oven around 200-250F. Once heated, remove from oven and wrap it around a bucket. Make 2 curved piece, paint them and glue them in the tank.

For the pump/filter, put multiple return lines on the top of one of the PVC piece, install the intake lines just below them. Hopefully the Jellies would not get suck into the intake line, the return lines would push them away. You could test it using baggies.

Just a thought.

Mark

If you had a 20 gallon, frameless on the top. Cut a sheet of 1/4" PVC (or acrylic) to the width of the tank, put it in the oven around 200-250F. Once heated, remove from oven and wrap it around a bucket. Make 2 curved piece, paint them and glue them in the tank.

For the pump/filter, put multiple return lines on the top of one of the PVC piece, install the intake lines just below them. Hopefully the Jellies would not get suck into the intake line, the return lines would push them away. You could test it using baggies.

Just a thought.

Mark
Very clever thought! Thanks so much for the advice! I’ll definitely save up for this and good idea testing using bags i’d probably be able to pull this all off for just over £140 which is a bargain compared to what ready made jelly tanks are :)

Honestly, if I had the dree time and money (and space, lol) I would totally buy the 5 gallon one. Only $22 for a jelly, not so bad as I was thing they would be.
I genuinely do not blame you! I’m definitely going to do the same but probably diy the tank :)

I am not very good at DIY stuff, going to be honest. Very little experience with power tools or anything like that. Easier for me to save up to buy one.

I am not very good at DIY stuff, going to be honest. Very little experience with power tools or anything like that. Easier for me to save up to buy one.
Ahh we are very similar my friend haha. I have some experience with power tools but I wouldn’t trust myself Cutting large sheets of acrylic/glass but If I was going to put an aquarium together Id probably just ask the store I buy Acryllic/glass sheets from to do all the cutting and then I’d end up putting the thing together as me and cutting things just don’t go well together.

Ahh we are very similar my friend haha. I have some experience with power tools but I wouldn’t trust myself Cutting large sheets of acrylic/glass but If I was going to put an aquarium together Id probably just ask the store I buy Acryllic/glass sheets from to do all the cutting and then I’d end up putting the thing together as me and cutting things just don’t go well together.
That sounds like a good compromise to me. Or even buying a cylinder tank. I know they make plastic 3 gallon ones. Then maybe a UGF and rig a line to fountain water in for for a light current of some sort? Idk.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cool. There are a few out there. Basically, they are round with a smooth, continuous flow.

Understood. My curse, sometimes I should just buy it instead of DIY. The tank found my Mr. eatyourpeas sounds like an excellent solution.

FYI, if still interest in my idea ie: make 1/2 of a cylinder inside an glass tank. Thin acrylic sheet from Home depot can be cut by scoring it with a razor and breaking into 2 pieces. No power tools needed.

Good luck,

Mark

Understood. My curse, sometimes I should just buy it instead of DIY. The tank found my Mr. eatyourpeas sounds like an excellent solution.

FYI, if still interest in my idea ie: make 1/2 of a cylinder inside an glass tank. Thin acrylic sheet from Home depot can be cut by scoring it with a razor and breaking into 2 pieces. No power tools needed.

Good luck,

Mark
You're not wrong at all, also it seems to be a cheaper alternative than my first few thoughts of pulling this off. I would just have to adjust a few things rather than work from scratch. Thanks so much for all your help everyone ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back