I’ve killed my colony

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maybe it stirred up the moss and the moss had absorbed some bleach?
Pretty unlikely for it to affect an entire tank like that. Maybe if it was a really small tank, but as big as hers is - unlikely,

Pretty unlikely for it to affect an entire tank like that. Maybe if it was a really small tank, but as big as hers is - unlikely,
I don't know the tank size but it's irrelevant in the case of toxins. I think you missed post #25.

Okay will do it again Colin thank you. Shrimp tank in only 37L I think that’s around 11G so only small

Okay about 85% water change done, substrate vacuum and filters cleaned ( in my big tanks water) and inside of the glass wiped down. I used water from my main tank to refill the shrimp tank as I only water changed that yesterday and it’s also well established water. All looking good with the remaining.

There is still hope to build my colony back up :wub: My beautiful berried girl

Attachments

• 17E71AB8-C77C-4D52-A974-48A6B0CB591D.jpeg
    17E71AB8-C77C-4D52-A974-48A6B0CB591D.jpeg
    786.7 KB · Views: 82
Okay so doing these large water changes, substrate vacuums and filter cleans has whacked my parameters big time. A 0.25 N02 0.50 N03 around 20 and my ph has gone up to around 7.8 :sad: I have been priming daily and the shrimp and snails are all doing good but I’m worried I can’t keep this going for to long and will loss what is left. Any ideas to help while continuing the maintenance?

Just an add on

I took the original driftwood (that I have had in there for months) out from the shrimp tank as I think it may have absorbed some of the bleach. I have it soaking in water and prime and changing the water daily.if I add another piece from my main tank to help with the BB that I have lost from the vacuuming etc will this be enough to help out?

Okay so looks like mumma has had her baby shrimpettes. What is the survival rate for these little guys? I have also just found another 2 shrimp :yahoo: They must have been in hiding through this all

Last edited:
Okay so looks like mumma has had her baby shrimpettes. What is the survival rate for these little guys? I have also just found another to shrimp :yahoo: They much have been in hiding through this all
Woohoo. No idea on survival rates. As you have spotted they are very good at hiding. You should start seeing a lot more of them in about 2 weeks which is when they will feel secure enough to come out of hiding - especially if there are algae wafers involved. Best time to spot them is a couple of hours after a water change. No idea why.

Hi all

So I am going to start from the start. Judge me all you want because I know I was so stupid for doing this.
I had a heap of java moss and wanted a tree like twig to mould it too for the shrimp tank but didn’t want to pay the ridiculous amounts that LFS want for them so I went to my local freshwater creek and looked around for abit of driftwood tree like branch. I brought it home bleached it for 2 days and then soaked it in normal water for a day and then sun dried it, boiled it for over an hour sun-dried it and thought okay that should do it. So I attached the moss and put it in the shrimp tank. A couple days later my shrimp were starting to slowly die and I couldn’t figure it out as my parameters were perfect and then it hit me the stick. So I got it out did a 80% wc and gravel vac and thinks we’re slowly looking up ( this is how I lost my original shrimp). Then a week later I found heaps of worms, told detritus worms on here and then someone told me they’re tape worms (Researching again they seem to be detritus) and I panicked so I did another wc yesterday and used my main tank water for the refill and turkey busted as I saw worms. Today I did another 80% wc and a good vacuum but I used normal tap water and prime to refill the tank and I watch all my new shrimp have a fit and die right in front of me (I cried as I netted them out). I am at a lost now and ready to throw this tank in. My parameters have been so whacked since all this and everyday I have found died shrimp. I have been priming the crap out of the tank daily too. If I didn’t be so damn cheap and just paid the money for an over priced piece of driftwood branch none of this would have happened!! I am so disappointed in myself as I’m always so on point with everything
Too bad. Terrible bad luck. Still that bleach can be Horrific stuff. Especially the double strength concentrated stuff. I've been in the hobby since 1976 and believe me, to this very day, still learning. Marine Biology is such a vast world and as soon as we even begin to catch-up it takes off into a new direction. But that's the nature of the beastie.

do you have any established filter sponge that you could add?

do you have any established filter sponge that you could add?

I have been cleaning the filters and refilling the tank with my big established tank water. I added a good piece of drift from my big tank to the shrimp tank yesterday. About to check the waters this morning. The snails have been out and about more since so that's a good sign

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back