I’ve killed my colony

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sorry for your traumatic experience. Several months ago I was conviced I had wiped out my entire colony (actually it is correctly called a troupe - but i also prefer colony :)). Two 90% water changes and I was going to give it a month before buying some more. Within that month i discovered a few shrimplets that survived and now my colony is back to its previous level - if not bigger.

If they are not still dying you should be ok. toxins tend to get them really quickly.

That is very interesting to know. I prefer colony too.

The poor MS have been knocked around with it all too, they’re up on the waterline today. once it settles I hope they get back to themselves, but the rams are out and about.

The poor MS have been knocked around with it all too, they’re up on the waterline today. once it settles I hope they get back to themselves, but the rams are out and about.

What do you mean by up on the waterline?
Are they trying to get out of the water?
Is the water is having issue?

I’m sorry to hear about your shrimp...

@Colin_T brought up a very good way to treat driftwood. Hope this doesn’t happen in the future. ;)

What do you mean by up on the waterline?
Are they trying to get out of the water?
Is the water is having issue?

no they are not trying to escape, just sitting around the waterline on the glass. I think all the chaos in the tank has just knocked them abit.

Just an update... all little guys are still going strong. The snails are starting to come back to their normal selves and my parameters have gone back to normal. Fingers cross this nightmare has ended

I’m so sorry about your colony. I have been bleaching the heck out of my syphon hose and nets due to ich issues. When you use bleach, rinse everything very well and then soak it in water and Seachem Prime to remove the bleach. Been doing it everyday for the last 4 weeks. Works like a charm. :)

Okay so I have another update!

I was sitting looking at the tank and noticed a shrimp kick back from the moss on driftwood that I’ve had in there for a while. He sorta did a matrix move.. he kicked back quickly and sat in the air with his flippers kicking for about 10 secs then went to the ground and had like a seizure affect as he slowly died.. Hydra?
I have removed the driftwood and tried to have a look but I can’t see anything as I know hydra can close up and look the part

Hydra are unlikely to kill an adult shrimp, they just aren't big enough to take on a shrimp and the nematocysts (stinging cells) on the hydra's tentacles aren't strong enough to penetrate a shrimp's shell.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to make sure there is nothing toxic in the tank causing this.

Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Make sure you don't have anything on your hands when feeding the fish or working in the tank.

Make sure there are no fumes, sprays, deodorants, etc being used in the room.

All level’s are back to normal Colin as of this mornings parameter check A: 0 N02: 0 N03: 0-5 and PH: 7.4. Substrate clean and 80% water change was done on Friday. I didn’t have my hands in the tank or anything. The lid was closed and I was just watching them when I witnessed it. He was fine before he went near the moss and kicked back.

All level’s are back to normal Colin as of this mornings parameter check A: 0 N02: 0 N03: 0-5 and PH: 7.4. Substrate clean and 80% water change was done on Friday. I didn’t have my hands in the tank or anything. The lid was closed and I was just watching them when I witnessed it. He was fine before he went near the moss and kicked back.
When shrimp or fish suddenly act weird and die a minute later, it is either a stroke or poisoning. Strokes are rare and the fact you lost some shrimp previously to poisoning would suggest there is still something in the water. Doing a big water change and gravel clean each day for a week should help to remove any remaining chemicals in the tank.

Okay so I have another update!

I was sitting looking at the tank and noticed a shrimp kick back from the moss on driftwood that I’ve had in there for a while. He sorta did a matrix move.. he kicked back quickly and sat in the air with his flippers kicking for about 10 secs then went to the ground and had like a seizure affect as he slowly died.. Hydra?
I have removed the driftwood and tried to have a look but I can’t see anything as I know hydra can close up and look the part
Maybe it stirred up the moss and the moss had absorbed some bleach?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back