It's All Gone Pear Shaped.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Keep calm thats the main thing to do! My tanks a bit tits up as well at the moment after adding some new fish - new fish are always a risk and its knowing what to do when things like this pop up. Your a well educated fish keeper and we all know your going to get through this :)

Wills

If I lose the majority, I wont be bothering with fish for a long time.

I'm quite fed up with buying fish both from lfs, private deals and now yet again another well known reputable business only to come down with issues. Really makes you wonder if it is worth bothering!
That last fish to me was quite expensive at £45 and it turned up with fin rot and what appears to now be serious parasite problems.

I love my fish and throw serious time and money into keeping them, without all of this added hassle which comes everytime I try to build on my collection. It turns out now that buying one fish just costs extremes in both stress, worry and money thanks to all of the 'added extras' that they carry along no matter where they're from.

Wether I had a quarantine tank or not, if a fish turns up alive but riddled with desease etc, then there is nothing I can do no matter what the expense I have thrown out or the love and attention I have poured into it.

It's so seriously frustrating to the point that I'm now feeling so disheartened that I could give it all up for good, which sadly would also hurt me too.

This has happened every single time I've bought a fish in the last 6 months and as I've said, it doesn't matter where it is from. They ALWAYS bring problems!

:angry:

Do you have any photo of the problem? That would help us to help you?

Don't give up on the fish.

No you can't give up Big_eyes! Theres always something to rekindly the affection and passion within the hobby, but hey why am i talking doom and gloom. Fish are remarkable and you aught to know how far gone a fish can be and still make a recovery. Sure casualties are likely, but not necessarily. As mentioned have you got a picture, visual representation always helps in identification and giving suggestions/advice.

Keep your chin up matey :)

:sad: I know how you feel, so disheartening when it starts to go wrong, I had it with a pair of blue acara, the male was sick, I did quaranteen them he looked fine in quaranteen and he looked fine when I added him to the main tank, then other fish started getting sick, whatever it was he was carrying it. I spent months trying to get him well till he eventually died.

Dont give up, extra water changes and meds may well solve the problem.

You got the fish from wildwoods? If so, then I had the same experience, I originally got 1 veija from wildwoods, soon after lots of fish died off from what I thought was Ich, the veija made it just, but it also bought in with it an internal problem which killed a few fish off too, a few weeks later, I decided to do just a veija tank and ordered another 5, they all seemed to do well for a while, but then they started dying off quickly one by one, velvet, then what I can only assume was an internal parasite, nothing I did saved them and I lost the lot including the original. Must admit its put me off ordering from them, although Id had several fish from them in the past with no problems.

Thanks for the good words folks.

I'm a bit calmer today and ready to take on this problem at hand. :lol:

I'll try to get some picks of the obvious signs but obviously the rubbing is something you'll have to take my word on. My biggest annoyance is my own confusion on this whole thing. I really can't figure why water changes seem to bring the flicking and rubbing back on. The flicking eventually stops to a point of it rarely if ever happens, yet the fin quivering is still there :huh: :blink: I've tried doing water changes at the same time each day to rule out a suggestion of ph changes during different times of the day but it makes no difference.

When I did a water change yesterday, one of my smaller tapajo's went nuts for about 10 minutes darting around like mad and rubbing like there was no tomorrow. This happens every water change now with the majority involved.

My main concern though is the sevs issue. I can only describe it as having the look of a long blood blister in the gap between it's gills under it's chin. It looks to have something tiny dangling from it but I don't know wether to put it down to damage from rubbing on the bogwood or something else. :S

On the other hand today - They are all still eating like pigs, pooing normally and the sev seems to be the only lethargic one.
The large tapajo has spent most of last night and today digging 2 large pits under the bits of bogwood. Been quite funny to watch as it scoops it out bit by bit with it's mouth and dumping it all into a huge mound at the front. :lol:

The big tapajo does have some large whitei'sh spots on it's fins though, which it had when it arrived. It looked like it had been quite beaten up when it arrived so I didn't know what to think about that.

My main concern though is the sevs issue. I can only describe it as having the look of a long blood blister in the gap between it's gills under it's chin. It looks to have something tiny dangling from it but I don't know wether to put it down to damage from rubbing on the bogwood or something else. :S

That sounds like an anchor worm! eggs could have come off the geo, could explain the white marks on his fins if he has had them attach there? not 100% on that as never delt with them personally, I vagually remember them being on the koi once in the pond when I was little. I wonder if when you do a wc its stirring up any anchor worms and the fish are flicking them off?? (just a theory)

Just googled this, does it look like whats on the severum?
http://www.fish-helpline.co.uk/health/anchor_worm.html

The more I look the more I just want to cover the tank and leave things to their own outcome :sad:

It isn't those btw, I've took some pics of the sevs thing -

You'll see that there are white lumps growing all around the red area now too. The first pic shows the largest lump which seems to be sticky to sand.
4967949495_83ed42fd7c.jpg

4968556912_6a0f17a13b.jpg

These lumps that are growing are similar to the white lump I mentioned a week or so ago that developed on his side where he had a wound when I got him.

Flubendazole .... as I suggested in your other thread. I really think that is your best chance, from what you describe.

Good luck !

Flubendazole .... as I suggested in your other thread. I really think that is your best chance, from what you describe.

Good luck !

I'm struggling to find any anywhere near me, do you know anywhere online that I can order some?

Is wormer plus the same stuff?

Right I've found some and ordered it online.

Now it's an impatient race to see what occurs first, arrival of meds or fishy deaths! :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back