It's A Mystery.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kairi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
alright... i am completely at a loss right now... my darling Leon went from perky, flaring and quite spunky one day to VERY sick (and dying) literally within a day. he died a couple weeks ago, but i have been researching EVERYTHING trying to figure out why. he was in a 5 gallon tank [alone and fully cycled] and the only thing i can think of was that i changed 50% of his water rather than 25%.... can that make a betta sick? i'm also wondering if i accidently cross contaminated from my 75 gallon [had a bacteria bloom at the time] ... might that do it?

anyway, hubby was broken hearted and won't let me put a betta in there for a while, so to keep it cycled we're going to get some neon tetras.

i am getting a 2.5 gallon for another betta to sit on my desk, and hopefully once that one settles in [around end of feb. or march-ish] i'll move the neons into the community [75 gallon] and get a betta for the 5 gallon again.

... point of all this was what caused Leon to go from very healthy and active to dying in a day? could it have been the cross contamination from the 75 gallon? regardless, i've gotten anal retentive about scrubbing past my elbows now when working with all 3 tanks.

fish are sometime just like that. I had a goldfish in a perfectly good tank, nice water, filtered, everything good and one day i woke up to find him upside down. Fish are tricky.

the 50 % shouldnt have bothered him really and the bacteria shouldnt have really either. Do you add dechlor to the water? How often were you changing the water? Did you regularly test the water stats? Did he look different in any way? Maybe swollen? Or less colourful?

no, he went from 100%-0% within 24 hours. water was changed 1x a week- just like everyone else. ammonia was 0, nitrites were 0, nitrates were like 40ish.... never tested the pH b/c i figured every tank would be the same- and the 75 gallon was like 7.0 or something (can't remember)

this is really bugging me. i wish i knew what happened.

Dont bug yourself about it. I HATE unexplained deaths but it is one of those things. Just his time to go. Since I have kept bettas I can think of things I have done which I shouldnt but OBVIOUSLY you were doing everything right and it was one of those things. You have got so much love to give, or you wouldnt be worried about what you did, get another fishy quick theres one waiting for you with your name on. :hyper: :hyper:
ps just read another thread could be his age.

Yeah, don't beat yourself up. I have lost fish unexpectantly. Ususally I have seen something that looked odd that I ignored. But most of the time I don't figure out what happened until quite some time later after I learn some more.

Did you spray anything near the tank? There are so many things that can happen.

I think about the oceans and lakes and wonder just how fragile our planet is????? :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back