Is this a female Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lilmich

Reaction score
So I bought this betta as a female, and stuck her in with my group of females, but now I'm not 100% sure she's female, or a short-finned male. I can't see an egg spot. Any suggestions from more experienced Betta keepers?
20190805_212303.jpg

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

It could be a male, but if you have kept it with females for this long, and you don’t see an egg spot, I would say it is a female betta. :)

I am no expert, @Colin_T might be able to help you better, good luck!! :)

(Please consider entering the August TOTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks! :thanks:

Yes pretty sure that is a female, is she causing issues? depending on how many girls you have and the tank size things should sort themselves out, only one can be the boss!

I am no expert, @Colin_T might be able to help you better, good luck!!
Stop nominating me for stuff :)

----------------------
For the OP, Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you look at the ovipositor (egg laying tube under the belly) and see what colour it is, that will tell you what sex the fish is. Female Betta splendens have a white ovipositor, makes have a dark one.

She is 1 of 4 in a 40l tank. I brought her and the other blue one home about 30 hours ago, put them in with my 2 red females, and she definately became the boss! She displays to the others and chases them whenever they come close to her.

She definately doesn't have a white one. I've recently fed them, but ill try and get a picture of the ovipositor area

20190805_222137.jpg

She's not playing ball tonight, so this is the best I've managed

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

It could be a male, but if you have kept it with females for this long, and you don’t see an egg spot, I would say it is a female betta. :)

I am no expert, @Colin_T might be able to help you better, good luck!! :)

(Please consider entering the August TOTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks! :thanks:
Females should have an egg spot.

Yes, if the betta has an egg spot, it is a female. ;)
She doesn't have an egg spot. She's the same size as the other females, aybe about 1.5", but im hoping shes just not sexually mature yet, otherwise I have a very odd-looking male!

Like I said above, I would think that if he/she was a male, he would have shredded all of the other females, because that’s just the way bettas are. (Expect during breeding time.). :)

Like I said above, I would think that if he/she was a male, he would have shredded all of the other females, because that’s just the way bettas are. (Expect during breeding time.). :)
Should be female then! Just found the start of a bubble nest in the female only tank. Females sometimes do this too, right?
20190806_140440.jpg

That is odd!! :eek:

I have never heard of a female betta blowing a bubble nest!

So I just did some research, and it turns out that a Female betta can, And will blow a bubble nest!! Who knew? :dunno:

That is odd!! :eek:

I have never heard of a female betta blowing a bubble nest!

So I just did some research, and it turns out that a Female betta can, And will blow a bubble nest!! Who knew? :dunno:
I thought I'd read they can somewhere. I think I'll give her a couple of weeks to see if she gets an egg spot. Hoping shes just not quite mature yet...

Sounds good! :)

Just make sure to keep us posted! ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back