Is this a female Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Should be female then! Just found the start of a bubble nest in the female only tank. Females sometimes do this too, right?View attachment 92909
Yes. Females too make bubble nest sometimes but i never seen this big nest made by female. You can give it a try to see if its male or female. Condition him/her and then put him/her with another female for breeding. If he breed then male and if not then female.
You can watch videos on youtube for breeding procedure or if you already breed bettas then thats good. :)

So it is this fish thst's making nests. It still doesn't have an egg spot, and is chasing the other 3 females away from the nest. It has a suprosingly large beard, that can't be seen when it's away, but is larger than that of the other females. No deaths or injuries in the tank.

I take it back. There is some fin damage to 2 of the 3 other females
20190810_193024.jpg
20190810_192944.jpg
20190810_193004.jpg

It looks like a female. I use to have a sorority and tails were always nipped. I also had one female that was bigger than the others and her fins got pretty long. She was a female though. My sorority went well for about 8 months and then the nightmare began. Lost all 11 ladies. I hope it goes better for you.

@Deanasue thanks. There's no skin wounds or anything, and I've put a couple more in, so she has others to pick on, and the 3 older ones have more breaks. They seem to be learning to just stay away from her bubble nests. On the upside, the koi male who lives next door seems to have taken a liking to one of the new females, but still isn't making a nest...

Most reactions

Back