Is this a Cory fungal infection? please help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Happy Raymo

Reaction score
1670037073631.png

I have added these Peppered Cory catfish to my tank a few days ago and noticed these Projections coming off of their barbels. I am very new to this hobby but I have been doing everything I can to make sure that the water quality is good. This is a newly set up aquarium but I have been doing PWC every 3 days and dosing with Seachem Stability. The 10 gallon tank, planted, has 1 betta and 4 catfish. I have been lurking the threads seeing if I can find an answer to my question if this is an infection or not, however, nothing conclusive. There is occasional flashing from the catfish but there are no other obvious signs of infection. Ill add when they flash its once or twice then they keep on trucking. All the fish in the tank Have been acting normal and have not changed since the development of these "things". They are all still exploring and interacting with the environment around them. From the 4 of them Id say I observe 4 flashes a day not from any specific one either. They dont appear to have their fins clamped and they are all eating well, betta too. These hairlike projections are only on the catfish to a seemingly universal degree on their barbells and only one has it on a pectoral fin. The water temperature is at 79 F. I have read that it is possibly an excess secretion of mucus as they adapt to their new environment. Please let me know your thoughts as I do not want anything to happen to my guys

My parameters (they are high but I read that they will rise before they fall in a soon to be established aquarium please correct me if im wrong)
Ammonia (I have been using API Ammo lock): 0.5 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
pH: 7.2
1670037095377.png

Last edited:
Not quite sure (never seen this before) but there seem.to be "hairs" sticking to the barbells which could be a fluke / nematod infection. The "fungus" could be an excess of mucus.

Looking at your water chemistry there is a glaring issue there.

Please confirm that you fully cycled the aquarium before adding the fish....rule of thumb average it takes 7-9 weeks without fish and significantly longer with fish to cycle properly

There should not be nitrite or ammonia in a cycled aquarium. Using ammonia limiting additive such as Ammo-lock will stall a cycling or freshly cycled aquarium since it kills the very thing that the good bacteria needs to keep the water healthy, namely their food source.

Betta fish and Cories are also highly sensitive to water chemistry imbalances and neither should be in an aquarium that is not fully cycled.....the Cories could well be exhibiting their natural defences to bad water chemistry...given your use of Ammo-Lock and showing nitrite.

Nitrite and ammonia must be zero. The fact you are recording levels of both, pretty much indicates an aquarium that is uncycled or stalled due to the Ammo-Lock.

Ammo-Lock is useless and only advised by well meaning but sadly inexperienced sales persons in the store. Please stop using it.

I shall refer this to @Essjay who will be able to navigate you though your water chemistry issues which may well sort out the fish issues. As a sidenote, a Betta should be alone in an aquarium since they have a very strong natural urge to attack anything in its territory...and the entire aquarium is their territory. So another issue causing the Cory problem is attacks or harrassment by the Betta and again their natural defences being triggered.

Ammo Lock detoxifies ammonia rather than removes it. From API's website
AMMO LOCK ammonia detoxifier works instantly in both fresh and saltwater aquariums, removing ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines. Note that if your aquarium tests positive for ammonia, it is necessary to perform a partial water change first, and then neutralize the ammonia. AMMO LOCK ammonia detoxifier is now detectable by API Ammonia Test Kits.

They also state that the detoxified ammonia is still detectable with their tester, as it will be with any other brand using the same chemical reaction. It is also a dechlorinator.
[For those interested it contains thiosulfate, the chlorine remover, and 'aliphatic amine salts' which detoxify ammonia]

However, the detoxified state usually lasts around 24 hours then the ammonia reverts. As the website says, when ammonia is detected, a water change should be done which will lower the ammonia level.
It should also be noted that the good bacteria can't easily take up this detoxified form so using Ammo Lock or any other product which detoxifies ammonia will slow down the cycle.

With both ammonia and nitrite in the tank water it does sound very much as though you put the fish in an uncycled tank and are now doing a fishless cycle. You need to do a water change whenever ammonia or nitrite read more than zero, and a big enough water change to get them to zero. As Ammo Lock is a dechlorinator, this should be added to the new water before it is put in the tank.
Once ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, I suggest changing to another water conditioner such as API Tap Water Conditioner.

As for the cories, it could well be excess mucus as DoubleDutch said. Anything in the water which irritates a fish can cause the fish to make excess 'slime' to protect them, and this includes ammonia and nitrite.
Another point to note is that cories should be kept in a group of at least 6, but a 10 gallon tank is too small for this many. The best thing for them is to return the cories to the store and keep the just the betta alone.

Forgot to mention that live plants will help a lot as they grow as plants take up ammonia as fertiliser and they turn it into protein rather than nitrite. if you don't already have any, floating plants are very good at this, and the betta will appreciate them. For 10 gallons, look at Salvinia, red root floater or possible Amazon frogbit.

Looking at your water chemistry there is a glaring issue there.

Please confirm that you fully cycled the aquarium before adding the fish....rule of thumb average it takes 7-9 weeks without fish and significantly longer with fish to cycle properly

There should not be nitrite or ammonia in a cycled aquarium. Using ammonia limiting additive such as Ammo-lock will stall a cycling or freshly cycled aquarium since it kills the very thing that the good bacteria needs to keep the water healthy, namely their food source.

Betta fish and Cories are also highly sensitive to water chemistry imbalances and neither should be in an aquarium that is not fully cycled.....the Cories could well be exhibiting their natural defences to bad water chemistry...given your use of Ammo-Lock and showing nitrite.

Nitrite and ammonia must be zero. The fact you are recording levels of both, pretty much indicates an aquarium that is uncycled or stalled due to the Ammo-Lock.

Ammo-Lock is useless and only advised by well meaning but sadly inexperienced sales persons in the store. Please stop using it.

I shall refer this to @Essjay who will be able to navigate you though your water chemistry issues which may well sort out the fish issues. As a sidenote, a Betta should be alone in an aquarium since they have a very strong natural urge to attack anything in its territory...and the entire aquarium is their territory. So another issue causing the Cory problem is attacks or harrassment by the Betta and again their natural defences being triggered.
Thanks for the response. Ill admit the tank was not cycled before. I assumed this to be okay considering I have been following the directions of the bottles of beneficial bacteria that allow for immediate introduction of fish. Again I am very new to this hobby so next tank I will let naturally cycle first. I will stop using the ammo lock and resort to water changes. After a 25% water change last night the "fungus" appears to have improved drastically overnight. As for the betta and corys I did research saying that they are okay together and I have not seen any aggression between the two. and trust me ive been watching the two interactions like a hawk

Ammo Lock detoxifies ammonia rather than removes it. From API's website

They also state that the detoxified ammonia is still detectable with their tester, as it will be with any other brand using the same chemical reaction. It is also a dechlorinator.
[For those interested it contains thiosulfate, the chlorine remover, and 'aliphatic amine salts' which detoxify ammonia]

However, the detoxified state usually lasts around 24 hours then the ammonia reverts. As the website says, when ammonia is detected, a water change should be done which will lower the ammonia level.
It should also be noted that the good bacteria can't easily take up this detoxified form so using Ammo Lock or any other product which detoxifies ammonia will slow down the cycle.

With both ammonia and nitrite in the tank water it does sound very much as though you put the fish in an uncycled tank and are now doing a fishless cycle. You need to do a water change whenever ammonia or nitrite read more than zero, and a big enough water change to get them to zero. As Ammo Lock is a dechlorinator, this should be added to the new water before it is put in the tank.
Once ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, I suggest changing to another water conditioner such as API Tap Water Conditioner.

As for the cories, it could well be excess mucus as DoubleDutch said. Anything in the water which irritates a fish can cause the fish to make excess 'slime' to protect them, and this includes ammonia and nitrite.
Another point to note is that cories should be kept in a group of at least 6, but a 10 gallon tank is too small for this many. The best thing for them is to return the cories to the store and keep the just the betta alone.
Thank you for this advice.

I dont know why I put so much trust in the petsmart employee rather than doing my own research, they insisted that the numbers would be fine to make a sale I guess. Positively however, is that the ailment seems to have improved drastically overnight. I will continue to update but its looking hopeful for them. Ill consider returning the corys. I just want to atleast rule out any sort of infection so the store doesnt just euthanize them when I return them.

What kind of test kit are you using? What kind of water conditioner?

What substrate is in the tank?....corys prefer (practically need) sand

Thank you for this advice.

I dont know why I put so much trust in the petsmart employee rather than doing my own research, they insisted that the numbers would be fine to make a sale I guess. Positively however, is that the ailment seems to have improved drastically overnight. I will continue to update but its looking hopeful for them. Ill consider returning the corys. I just want to atleast rule out any sort of infection so the store doesnt just euthanize them when I return them.
#1 rule in fishkeeping: Never trust the advice of pet store employees...they are there to make $, not give good advice

The majority of the time, they are clueless when it comes to proper fishkeeping

For the test kit ive been using the freshwater master API test kit and for conditioner Ive been using API stresscoat+. I have sand as the substrate
Test kit good, Stress Coat, not good...contains aloe vera, harmful to fish

Get some Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water Conditioner, use that instead

Though as Ammo Lock contains thiosulphate, you don't need a water conditioner/dechlorinator while using that as Ammo Lock is a dechlorinator.

Thanks for the response. Ill admit the tank was not cycled before. I assumed this to be okay considering I have been following the directions of the bottles of beneficial bacteria that allow for immediate introduction of fish. Again I am very new to this hobby so next tank I will let naturally cycle first. I will stop using the ammo lock and resort to water changes. After a 25% water change last night the "fungus" appears to have improved drastically overnight. As for the betta and corys I did research saying that they are okay together and I have not seen any aggression between the two. and trust me ive been watching the two interactions like a hawk
I've had bettas and cories. Never had any issues, they just ignored each other. I also use stress coat (but not often) and have had no negative- but positive effects.

You are going to need to start a cycle. The little bacteria is not yet established. I don't like in fish cycling because they still can harm the fish. I do recommend rehoming until you can get your tank cycled because of that. Here is a copy-paste of an article I wrote on cycling:

What is cycling and how does it work? Cycling your aquarium prior to adding fish is extremely essential. Many new fish keepers do not cycle their aquariums, and all of their fish die.

Fish eat food and poop. Little bits of food also get left in the aquarium. The little bits of food and fish poop turn into ammonia also known NH3, which is extremely toxic to your fish. It will burn their gills, body, and fins eventually painfully killing the fish.

Fish poop and little bits of food create carbon dioxide otherwise known as CO2. Fish can not breathe in CO2 with their gills, but live plants do. The live plants absorb CO2 and replace it with oxygen that the fish breath with their gills. This is why live plants are so important for a healthy aquarium. The beneficial bacteria Nitrosomonas (One of the good wanted bacteria you get in your tank when you cycle it.) eats the ammonia. When it eats ammonia, it produces another harmful substance for your fish called nitrite.

In your fish, nitrate causes a weakened immune system, the stop of cell growth in your fish, and less oxygen in the aquarium’s water. The beneficial bacteria Nitrobacter (One of the good wanted bacteria you get in your tank when you cycle it.) eats the nitrite. When it eats the nitrite, it produces another substance called nitrate. It is far less harmful than the other 2 substances nitrite and ammonia, but it is still dangerous if your fish are exposed to high levels over long periods of time. Prolonged exposure to high levels of nitrate will cause poor coloration in fish, shortened lifespan, poor growth in fish, and the inability to reproduce offspring. Nitrate is removed by live plants and water changes.

Live-planted aquariums, especially heavily live-planted aquariums, will be much healthier as the plants remove the leftover substance from the last bacteria known as nitrate. You will have to do very few water changes if your tank is heavily live-planted. Only weekly or even monthly water changes are needed when a tank is properly stocked (has the correct number of fish for its size). When doing a water change, you will need a clean 5-gallon pail with a handle and an aquarium siphon otherwise known as an aquarium vacuum. Using the larger end of the siphon, run it over the top of the substrate to remove debris. Do not bucket water off of the top as this will not remove debris. You can refill the aquarium with water using the same bucket you used to empty it. If you live in the country, your water shouldn’t have chlorine in it but if it does, you will need to use an aquarium de-chlorinator and add it to your water before putting it in your aquarium. Most town water has chlorine in it. Do not ever do a 100% aquarium water change as this will kill a large number of your beneficial bacteria and wreck your cycle. Do not scrub or wipe down any decorations or aquarium walls as this will also kill beneficial bacteria and wreck your cycle.

You need to cycle your aquarium to get the good bacteria. Cycling your aquarium is also known as the aquarium nitrogen cycle, they are the exact same thing. Cycling your aquarium is very simple, you are giving the bacteria enough time to grow and reproduce so that it can eat the ammonia (do the first stage) as fast as it is produced. It can take a few weeks to a few months to cycle your aquarium, but it is well worth the wait for a health aquarium that will thrive for years to come.

Only do a fishless cycle, in fish cycles will still harm your fish and even kill more sensitive fish. Plus, they are a lot more work.

Don't be stressed, that was simply a breakdown of what cycling is and how it works so you can understand what your tank is going through. Now lets get on to the supplies you will need to cycle.

Needed items for cycling:

1: Get an aquarium test kit. This will test your nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia also known as your parameters. It tests them in parts per million also known as ppm. The safe level of ammonia is 0. The safe level of nitrite is 0. The safe level of nitrate is 0-15. API test kits are the top brand. Some claim a liquid test kit can be more acerate but you can also go for the cheaper alternative- test strips.

2: Select an purchase your aquarium, decorations such as hides, spider wood or drift wood, and substrate. I use a Fluvle Stratum (a more expensive live plant substrate which is actually volcanic) and a play sand mix. A sand or sand and gravel mix is another live plant option. Make sure you thoroughly rinse any item or substrate before adding it to your aquarium.

3: Buy and add your live plants. Many people fear having live plants as they fear they will kill them. This is sad, as live-planted tanks are much easier to care for than non-live-planted tanks. There are plenty of easy-to-care-for live plants. Here are a list of low tech live plants I own and love:

Ludwigia

Hornwort

Java Moss

Subwassertang

Dwarf Tiger Lotus

Crypt

Val

Water Weed

Dwarf Water Lily

Java Fern

Guppy Grass

Marimo Moss Balls

Now that you have your supplies, the fun part comes!!

Setting up your aquarium:

Rinse all of your aquarium décor and items with water. Do NOT use soap. Add your substrate, your hides, (filter if you decide on it), thermometer, and your heater. Once your tank is designed how you like it plant your live plants. Now fill your aquarium up with (decoronated if needed) water. You can add your contact after adding water but I find it easier to do so before.

Yay! You've bought the needed supplies and set up your aquarium. Now you can beguine to cycle it.

Aquarium cycling:

Step 1: Start adding fish food. Add a pinch of fish food twice a day. This will break down and turn into ammonia so the first bacteria can eat it and produce nitrite which the second bacteria will eat and produce nitrate which the plants will absorb.

Step 2: After a week of adding fish food twice a day, test you water parameters. If ammonia and nitrate are present, your cycle has begun. DO NOT change your aquarium water at any time during the cycle. Test again in another week. If your ammonia and nitrite are gone and your nitrate are at 40ppm or under your aquarium cycle is complete. If this is not the case, keep weekly testing the water until it is complete.

Step 3: Start doing small 5%-10% daily water changes. Daily check the parameters to make sure the nitrite and ammonia stay at 0. Once your nitrate is at 15 or lower, you can add fish. The water changing and frequent testing process should only take about a week or less.

Step 4: Your cycle is now complete. You can add your fish or invertebrates. Do this slowly though, as you do not want to overwhelm the little good bacteria that you just established.

Congrats!! You have took the time to cycle your aquarium so your fish can be happy and healthy. Good luck, and have fun with your new aquarium!!

Last edited:
Test kit good, Stress Coat, not good...contains aloe vera, harmful to fish

Get some Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water Conditioner, use that instead
Ill definitely look into these thank you! Ive heard that the aloe can help promote slime coat in hurt or diseased fish so Ill keep the bottle in case I need it at a later date but next time I do a water change ill try to put one of these that you recommended in

Not quite sure (never seen this before) but there seem.to be "hairs" sticking to the barbells which could be a fluke / nematod infection. The "fungus" could be an excess of mucus.
Ill be watchful for other signs of infection. but as time goes im leaning more towards excess mucus. Youre the person that I saw mention in a burried post that it could be excess mucus haha thank you for the response

Most reactions

trending

Back