Is my tank ready or should I wait?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Iā€™ve been cycling a 3.5 gallon tank for a betta to take to my mom. Well today Iā€™m taking it to her and staying the weekend. Nitrite is 0, nitrates are between 5-10 (itā€™s a planted tank), but ammonia is just below .25ppm. Iā€™m wondering if I did a water change, added a betta and some Safe Start, and did some water changes this weekend while Iā€™m there if I see any ammonia, if that would be okay. If not, Iā€™ll tell her to wait. Iā€™m teaching her all she needs to know about testing, water changes, etc and she is excited to do it and maintain it so Iā€™m not worried about that.

You CAN do that, but you will need to keep adding SafeStart to the tank. If she is really desperate to get a betta, then go for it.

Defiantly make sure to teach her all the important stuff. :good:

You CAN do that, but you will need to keep adding SafeStart to the tank. If she is really desperate to get a betta, then go for it.

Defiantly make sure to teach her all the important stuff. :good:

I think weā€™ll go ahead and do that. Plus my dad had fish growing up and he knows all about the ammonia and cycling, etc so I think itā€™ll be great. Thanks!

Regarding OPā€™s post, do you know if your city uses chlorine or chloramine in your water? If chloramine, which many cities are shifting to, then it is actually ammonium, not ammonia that you are seeing and your tank should be cycled. Ammonium is sag for fish. You can buy a Seachem Free and Total ammonia test kit to be sure. My city uses chloramine and my ammonia in all of my tanks always test at .25ppm which is fine because I know it is actually ammonium. I keep a Seachem Ammonia Alert on several of my tanks just to b sure nothing goes out of whack. What a lucky Mom you have!

Just realized this post is almost 2 weeks old. Hope info still helps. :)

Hi @SABWARNER16 did you get a betta?
We did! We ended up doing the water change and adding the safe start. Taught my parents all they needed to know. They test every day and have only had to change the water once a week. No ammonia spikes. We got them a navy blue crown tail, I donā€™t have pictures right now but I will post soon.

Regarding OPā€™s post, do you know if your city uses chlorine or chloramine in your water? If chloramine, which many cities are shifting to, then it is actually ammonium, not ammonia that you are seeing and your tank should be cycled. Ammonium is sag for fish. You can buy a Seachem Free and Total ammonia test kit to be sure. My city uses chloramine and my ammonia in all of my tanks always test at .25ppm which is fine because I know it is actually ammonium. I keep a Seachem Ammonia Alert on several of my tanks just to b sure nothing goes out of whack. What a lucky Mom you have!
Hey thanks for the info! I actually tested their tap water and the ammonia was at 1ppm :O so we got spring bottled water and filled it up.

We did! We ended up doing the water change and adding the safe start. Taught my parents all they needed to know. They test every day and have only had to change the water once a week. No ammonia spikes. We got them a navy blue crown tail, I donā€™t have pictures right now but I will post soon.
Oh please so your parents are on top of things :good:pleased there's been no ammonia spikes..i wanted a crown tail beautiful bettas but i had a blue super tail delta, i change his water 3 times a week besides vacuuming and his tanks on a nice steady level with readings ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate always 5 or just below.

Oh please so your parents are on top of things :good:pleased there's been no ammonia spikes..i wanted a crown tail beautiful bettas but i had a blue super tail delta, i change his water 3 times a week besides vacuuming and his tanks on a nice steady level with readings ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate always 5 or just below.
Thatā€™s great!

Most reactions

trending

Back