Is My Swordtail Pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TropicalDan1

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 70l tank which is currently home to 4 Swordtails (1 Male, 3 Female) and have a feeling one of the females is pregnant.

I am totally new to Tropical Fish keeping so I could be completely wrong, however the dark spot (gravid spot?) near her bottom is getting darker by the day.

Until yesterday it was just 1 male and 1 female as it's a new setup, however I have since bought 2 more females to keep them company.

The original female keeps chasing the male around the tank, and it's got to the point where he seems scared to come out, constantly hiding in the cave/plants or under the filter.

I did have a look at the post by 'William' (http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/13664-livebearers-breeding-and-rearing-guide/) but the images no longer work so I have added a few pictures in the hope that someone can confirm or deny wether or not I have fry on the way
biggrin.png

Thanks,
Dan

tju3.jpg

It definitely looks like they do! I'm new to fish keeping too but I keep livebearers and mine have all had the same gravid spot when they've been pregnant :)

SarahMarie said:
It definitely looks like they do! I'm new to fish keeping too but I keep livebearers and mine have all had the same gravid spot when they've been pregnant
smile.png
I've only had her for a week but did suspect she was pregnant. Thanks :D

One of mine wa pregnant when I got her and she had 7 fry on the journey home! Lol

She looks like she is in the early stages of pregnancy, maybe only a week on. Her belly isn't overly huge. A gravid spot doesn't indicate pregnancy. My 2 week old female guppy fry have gravid spots. It just indicates female. 

Ny82 is correct. She does look pregnant but in the very early stages. Good luck with her :). I hope the male isn't getting the business end of the stick too much. Perhaps there are more decorations you have around to put in so he has more outs?

Well sadly my Male died last night. He was active throughout the day (more than usual) but I went to feed them and he was on the bottom :(

But as one life ends, another begins.

The Female Swordtail has given birth this morning :D
Very exciting for a new fish keeper. I've only spotted 1 fry so far, and I've turned the light off and put a towel over the front of the tank :)

Little update..
Mum is still as big as yesterday and her birth tube is still clearly visible/open.
I've seen 4 fry so far but with the rocks and plants there could be 100s hiding away :D

Can a Swordtail take two days to give birth or is there something wrong?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back