Is my platy pregnant? If so when is she due?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ctaylorrx

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I bought 3 female platys last Sunday as I did not want any fry and after noticing one of my females looking larger than the other two and noticing a black part in her belly, I investigated what it could be and I am assuming that she became pregnant before purchase. If anyone could take a look at the photos and confirm for me as I am new to caring for fish. She is the one with black fins.

I have since bought a second tank and removed her from the other 2 as she spent a lot of time alone at the top back corner of the tank next to the filter and she continues to do this in the separate tank also.
Also, if she is pregnant, I do not know when she will give birth which is why I have came here.

If she does give birth I will keep the fry as I was going to buy another 3 fish for the tank in a few months anyway and thought I should wait until the sex can be determined and then return the new platys to the shop I bought from originally.

Attachments

• 92460D43-7F6F-46C0-968B-C512F1209365.jpeg
    92460D43-7F6F-46C0-968B-C512F1209365.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 39A6ED9A-3E0A-43AE-81EF-6B88183D204E.jpeg
    39A6ED9A-3E0A-43AE-81EF-6B88183D204E.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 75
  • E017E99D-4AF8-4160-A163-FFC84FB0A8F0.jpeg
    E017E99D-4AF8-4160-A163-FFC84FB0A8F0.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 65
She could well be pregnant but if she is, there's while to go yet.

If the females you bought were in a tank with males at the store - or if they've ever been in a tank with a male - they will be carrying sperm which they can use to fertilise eggs for months. Buying only females doesn't mean no fry I'm afraid.

She could well be pregnant but if she is, there's while to go yet.

If the females you bought were in a tank with males at the store - or if they've ever been in a tank with a male - they will be carrying sperm which they can use to fertilise eggs for months. Buying only females doesn't mean no fry I'm afraid.
Thanks for the reply.
I wish the man at the pet shop made me aware of this as I had made it clear that we did not wish to breed and he suggested the females. I don’t want to take them back either as I enjoy having them.
Oh well, just got to wait it out.

He probably didn't know. Most fish shop workers know little about fish; they are mainly trained in how to make a sale.

most female live bearers are pregnant before they even get close to your tank, unfortunately

there doesn't look like many hidey places in the tank so the females may have a protein heavy snack when they arrive

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back