Is my fish pregnant? Or just overfed

Jt1988

New Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Location
Nj
I've noticed a difference in my platy and since im new to this type of fish and never seen a pregnant fish before I was curious if my fish could be pregnant. I added some current pictures and also one of what it looked like when I got it.
 

Attachments

  • 20260424_190412.webp
    20260424_190412.webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20260424_205559.webp
    20260424_205559.webp
    70 KB · Views: 70
  • Messenger_creation_0F342777-78E8-4213-A93E-B6D3E269BB57.webp
    Messenger_creation_0F342777-78E8-4213-A93E-B6D3E269BB57.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 65
Your platy seems to be a male judging by the gonopodium, so pregnancy is out of the picture to me. It could be the result of overfeeding or possible swim bladder issues. I'd monitor him to make sure that there aren't behavioral changes. Beautiful platy, by the way! I can never keep them alive... 😕

Good luck!
 

Attachments

  • platy.webp
    platy.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 78
Thank you and I figured that as well looking at the fins it just seemed to grow much larger than the other in comparison. I will definitely be keeping a eye on it a little closer
 
That's what I would do. maybe try feeding every other night. That's what I usually do.
You have a nice collection! Good luck!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top