Incandescent?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tyler_Fishman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've received these incandescent bulbs from Somone today, I'd like to clarify if incandescent is a good option, I heard it gets a bad rap and get really hot
Here's a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
The heat produced is one issue. They also use more energy (= waste). And they are not the most advantageous when it comes to spectrum, though they will work.

If you have incandescent fixtures, a better option are CFL bulbs (the spiral ones). You can get 9w bulbs, with a 6500K spectrum rating, which are perfect.

Byron.

Thanks. Heat isn't really a problem for me and the electricity is fine, would you still recommend it I personally don't like the color my flourescent bulb gives off

The big problem with incandescent is that they have a short life. Most burn out in a year. Next year you may not be able to find replacements. As to the heat that may seam like a minor issue but if the fixture the bulb is in wasn't designed to handle the head it could be damaged or even melt from the heat.

I personally don't like the color my flourescent bulb gives off

The color of fluorescent bulbs can depend on the quality of the bulb. For fluorescent bulbs you want full spectrum bulbs with a high CRI (color rendering index). Bulbs also have a kelvin rating. A kelvin rating of 2700K will give off a yellowish white light. A 7000K light will produce a bluish white light. A 100 CRI full spectrum bulb 7000K (color temperature) will give results very close to something lit by the sun on a clear day. Many people prefer 7000K bulbs for aquariums. I personally prefer 3000K. LEDs have the same specifications. If you get a bulb with a low CRI of 70 the colors may not look right. The same can happen with regular bulb with a normal spectrum instead of a full spectrum.

Plants will do well with high CRI and full spectrum bulbs. Low spectrum low CRI bulbs won't work as well for growing plants but the plants should still grow (just slower). Target bulbs with a CRI of 80 or better. Look for a kelvin rating you like.

I got this 6500k light bulb that gives off a bluish hue, I haven't noticed a difference in my plants So far I've been using a 2700k bulb

Attachments

• IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
I got this 6500k light bulb that gives off a bluish hue, I haven't noticed a difference in my plants So far I've been using a 2700k bulb

You will see quite a difference between a 2700K (which is very warm white with primarily red/yellow) and a 6500K (which is "daylight" with more blue plus the red and green). The 6500K is better for plants, and is about as close to natural sun.

The other thing I would worry about here is the wattage...a 33w CFL is a lot of light. Though I do not know the tank size. I use the 9w CFL's, two each over my 10g and 20g tanks, and they are just about bang on. A 9w CFL is equal to 40w in the old incandescent bulb.

How long have you had this bulb? Plant responses to different/improved light is not going to be overnight. Sometimes it can take weeks (either way).

I don't worry about CRI because in these CFL bulbs you really don't have any options. At least not with what I can buy locally at home improvement or hardware stores. I generally use the GE CFL Daylight 6500K, though I was in Home Depot last and got the Phillips 9w Daylight and it is identical (from what I can see).

These come in 9w, then 13w. The latter are too much for my tanks. This is a case where watts can be used to judge intensity, because we are comparing identical bulbs so the higher the wattage the brighter the light. This is not the case when you compare bulbs or tubes that have different spectrum/CRI/lumens or whatever. For example, the Hagen Life-Glo T8 fluorescent tube is about twice the intensity (brightness) of the Hagen Aqua-Glo T8 tube in the same length; this is because of the phoisphors used inside the tube. The Life-Glo will be sufficient light whereas the Aqua-Glo will not over the same sized tank.

Byron.

The tank is 10gs, so I suppose the wattage is way too much

However I do have an aqueon 10 watt blue and white light bulb, the "K" rating was not listed on the package

Pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    954.2 KB · Views: 187
I don't know those bulbs, but two of them might be fine. I am assuming you have two sockets in the fixture over the 10g?

I plan on purchasing another desk lamp, for now I'm test running the incandescent for a few days

I plan on purchasing another desk lamp, for now I'm test running the incandescent for a few days

I would recommend that instead of spending money for another desk lamp you look for a hood/cover/fixture for the 10g tank. These are not expensive, especially the incandescent ones. They will have two sockets, and the light is better focused down into the aquarium when it comes from a fixture across the top of the tank no higher than the frame and shielded so it cannot disperse.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back