Inbreeding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dizzied

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but how often should I introduce new individuals to my livebearer tanks to prevent too much inbreeding?

I once had some goodeids from a friend who had been inbreeding them for about 5 years then he gave up fish keeping and past them on to me I kept and breed them for another 6 years and in that 11 years their was never any now blood introduced and I had never had any problem.
always start with good fish only breed with the best. any Fish are that are deformed or fish that don’t swim properly or dont look normal you must remove them.

In a similar vein to Fish48's post. If you always cull defective fish, there is no faster way to improve the blood line than inbreeding. Because inbred fish will show all of the defects that exist in their parents you can view it one of two ways. You can become distressed that a percentage will have recessive bad genes reinforced and that they become obvious in the fry or you can be encouraged that the bad genes will show up and you can cull them, thereby improving the genetic pool of your fish. The end result of inbreeding depends mostly on you, the breeder. If you are too soft hearted to cull defectives, don't allow inbreeding. If you are a pragmatic breeder with an aim to improve the fish, there is no faster way than inbreeding. It takes a very committed breeder to pass up the joy of new fish and feed his defectives to his carnivores, but that is what it takes to actually improve the breed. Otherwise, the best that you can expect is a diverse gene pool maintained by exogamy or similar techniques that mimics what might happen with no intervention in the wild.

Well, I know this might sound kinda stupid but I alwasy wanted to know too. Because I have had cases where the brother and the sister bred and had curved spine babies. But, other times the in bred babies and the strongest of my group! It really depends on time. After years and years of the same parents and siblings breeding, there will be deformities most likely (not always)

I agree with fish48

If you get fish that produce poor fry regularly then their bad too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back