Im Stuck With Scott's Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

james001

Reaction score
Hi There

I have been Stuck with my sons tanks while he sorts some problems with him and the wife so they have taken a holiday for a few weeks hes not told me what to do couse he is extreamly stressed out.His nitrates have went up to 20-40ppm in 2 F-O-W-l-R aquariums so what do i do and hes got a chvon tang or someing that is coverd in white dots that has got worse over the last few days but was in a sick tank he said but should be fine but has got worse and not eating as much so i think something is wrong also his coral tank is testing perfect

ph 8.4
calcium 490
mag 1390
nitrate 0
amm 0
nitrite 0
salt 1026

but the corals havent expanded as much as i have seen them over the last couple days any other reasions why this would be

james

Hi james..welcome onboard sir.....

only way to drop the nitrates will be to do a water change of about 20% i'm afraid..if no salt water left for you most lfs will sell it pre mixed in 25lt containers...

corals can have an off day and not open so well but those stats are fine.....if lights not on a timer and came on later than normal this could be the case and they'll open as time goes on..

As for the chevron your best bet is to keep the lights turned off and hope he starts to eat soon..try some brineshrimp with garlic if he left any in the freezer...

If any probs what so ever please feel free to give a call on here or pm me if you want..

all of us on here will be only too willing to help as we know his current circumstances and don't want to let him down here

Indeed as Bud says, :hi: :good:

We are all very close on the forum and so will do anything we can to help, just let us know

atb

Seffie x

Thanks buddy,and seffie for the welcome

I have got RO jugs here and the already have ro water in them should i remove to buckets of water from the main aquarium and fill them up with the salted ro water

Buddy i have a treatment call cuprizon should i add that for chvron tang as i cheeked up the internet and it is white spot the tang has got how dose fish get this?? should i treat it with that or leave it alone and he is eating the algea sheets quite well and is eating brine shrimp and garlic but is eating some of it then spitting it back out

that tank is testing

ph 8.0
amm 0ppm
nitrate maybe 5ppm
nitrite 0ppm
salt level 1.025

i also have other treatments melafix,odinex,calcium,strontuim,iodiean,

loads of other bottles but he told me not to touch as there for the corals thats me told lol

james

If in a quarantine tank with no carbon filtration medication could be added to the dosage recomended on the bottle, again if scott uses these...melafix would be the one I would go for..unless it is getting a lot worse i personally would keep trying it with food and keep it dark meantime....some of others will help here as i never use medications myself now

If the ro is salt mixed and not pure ro , unsalted, for fresh water top ups to fill up tank due to evaporation, simply a case of syphoning water out and replacing with this ..if at temperature of tank ofcourse....
most of the others are additives and best left as scott says,lol...

Sorry for asking stupit questions but what is carbon it has two filters that sits out side of the tank

thank for your help! james

Carbon is normally in the form of small black granules and put inside a filter...guessing if used as a hospital/quarantine tank he wwon't have any in there james

Never worry ...ask away...better safe than sorry...lol

Hello bud

I have opened the filters up and there is only thick white songes and one blue sponge nothing else

I am away to spain next monday for 4 days so want to get every thing ok for that period of time

scott said he would check up on the forum some point tomorrow.

Welcome James, we are all feeling for Scott and his wife at the moment.

Anything we can do to help we will.

What is the SG in the hospital tank, I would be tempted to lower the sg very gradually over a week or so down to 1.009. This is called a hyposalinity treatment. Once clear of the w/s for a few days, then raise salinity back to what it was again over a week or so. Much kinder on the fish than medication Imo.

Most of all don't panic, we truly will help all we can.

ooo tina you aint been reading the useful info link,lol...this is now said to be pointless..

oops me bad...does work in hospital tanks still..sorry pet

Oh tina thats you told :lol:

the salt is at 1.025 How do i lower the sg to that level as i only have a nitrate of 5 ppm so would that not recycle the tank or something as it is 190ltr aquarium

i was reading something about temputare riseing that kills the white spot cells off

Raised temps are great with fresh waters..never tried it with marines myself if honest..specific gravity would have to be dropped over several days and if leaving for spain soon may be too late unfortunately...
would be a case of taking a few liters out of the tank and replacing with fresh water over a few days...by the time you were getting to this reading you'd be gone...
lights off and a mild dose of melafix as per bottle instructions is your safest option meantime i'd say but others may have more experience with this james

no carbon in there so the treatment won't get removed although extra aeration may help when adding melafix

oo and tina i did say sorry pet so please don't beat me,lol....

Bud, Ive not got a smile for beating or whipping you on this forum unfortunately. :lol: I know you can use hyposalinity, Ski and I recommended it last week. :hey:

I think the biggest problem with hyposalinity and failures is that people do not go down to 1.009.

However, your right, I did not know at the time that james was leaving for spain so soon.

If using melafix, you will be better to add an airstone. Not sure about raising temp, would be wary with marine due to the salt water having less dissolved oxygen, at higher temps, even less oxygen.

Important thing is to feed little and often of good quality food.

Not sure if you can use UV with melafix and whether or not it would be worth it.

OH tina good thing you mentioned that it has a vecton 400 uv attached to one filter but was told not to turn it on as scott was treating with oddinex but that was a few days ago but that green water has faded away so is it ok to run now

your probally wondering what i am doing at his house i only want to stay becuase he has a water bed and its really a brillant bed to sleep on thats why i am steeling it he like anything that has water in it :lol: come on scott it true

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back