I'm A Copycat !

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have to admit that I have completely copied ... or is it "been inspired by" Snowflake311.

I have got a single discus to go in my very peaceful 130 gallon (500 litre) tank.
Main tankmates are 2 x Uaru and a chocolate cichlid, along with a load of other smaller stuff.

I just wanted one colourful, peaceful and sizeable fish to finish off the stocking of this tank. I did have a super red and turquoise severums in with the same fish but the sevs were just too boisterous and grumpy, so live in an 80 gallon on their own now.
The uaru and chocolate are wonderful, and characterful fish, always on the move around the tank grazing around for food. But none of them are particularly colourful.
So anyway after Snowflake's purchase, and her subsequent threads on fish forums I decided that a single discus might well do for me and was worth giving a go.
So I bought one today, not quite on impulse, but almost. I had been thinking about it but didn't go out with the intention of getting one.

Ended up buying a 4" blue turquoise discus (now named Eric) at a very reasonable price (I thought). He was being kept in acidic, soft water (although had been raised in hard alkaline water) so I knew I had to do the acclimation very slowly and carefully.
It all went well for the first hour. I'd set up the large bag with the fish in, floating in the tank, being held in one place by two stones on the edges of the bag holding it onto the glass cover plates to hold it all in place. I'd even got an air line set up into the bag. NEVER have I gone to so much trouble to acclimate a fish so perfectly. I was adding small amounts of tank water every 10-15 mins. Anyway, it was going well, and I had planned a 2-3 hour acclimation process. However on the hour, I managed to drop both stones straight into the bag with the fish, which promptly shot down to the bottom of the tank, and the discus shot out of the bag like a rocket and into the tank ..... acclimation process officially over !!

Despite this cock up, Eric seems to have survived the process well and has slowly been investigating his world. Even nibbling on silk plants. The others have checked him out but with no aggression toward him as yet. I'll try and get a photo later, although I don't want to stress him out. I'll see how he goes.

It's frozen bloodworm tonight so I'm hoping he might even eat one or two of those. He was the alpha male in his tank at the shop so I'm hoping he will be confident and outgoing.
I'll get a pic up as soon as poss.

Blimey, sounds like quite a scary moment with the stones!
laugh.gif

Has Eric been welcomed by your Uarus and Choc cichlid?

Good story telling, I was gasping at the end :)

Still all good in the tank? I hope nothing bad comes of it

I have to admit 6 discus in my tank would look nice, but I WILL resist!

Any recent pics of the chocolate? What are it's colours like these days?

Has Eric been welcomed by your Uarus and Choc cichlid?

A little gentle barging by one of the uaru but apart from that all seems peaceful.

Any recent pics of the chocolate? What are it's colours like these days?

THe choc's colours vary from dark, dark brown all over, when stressed at all, to light beige all over with a dark spot on her side. No signs of any tasty additional colours as yet, but she is still very young.

need a pic of the turk asap ;)

Will get one this evening or tomorrow for sure. He is certainly a stunner !

Cute :)

What temp and pH is your water, out of curiosity? :)

You definitely did the right thing, using a slow process to acclimatise them when they come from really different water. Sounds like it was a bit hairy at the end though!
My Red Spot Sev was kept in RO water for some reason, and he's gone into my hard water. I took ages dripping the water in :lol: Worked though and he settled a treat.

Is this your final fish for your 130g? :fun:

I ended up getting an Oscar because of all the gorgous pics of them.

**will not get discus!*** :lol:

Watch out you might want to sell all your other fish and keep just discus. The problem I see with keeping discus with larger cichlids is that they are not aggressive feeders. The larger cichlids might keep the discus from getting as much food as he needs. So in the long run when the others are much bigger it might not work out. Myself as you might have read I am trying to re-home my Uaru to make room for more Discus. It's hard to find Uaru good homes. I might end up shipping them to someone.

Make sure you keep up on the WC as everyone will tell you and make sure your Discus get enough food. Good luck with him. Watch the uaru with the discus at feeding time. My Uaru are big time food hogs when feeding and nip at my parrot all the time when foods around.

Your little Discus is really pretty. Is he outgoing and swimming around? Do you think you will want more? Your tank is large enough for one good size Cichlids with 5 Discus. Maybe the Chocolate with a few Discus. Kind of like what I am trying to do for my dream tank keep my parrot with 5-6 discus. OR turn the 80 gal into a discus tank. Thats also my other idea.

i dont think uaru would be good with discus.IMO it will hog the food and discus are sometimes slow eaters and the uaru would eat quite abit before the discus eats.And you should consider gettting more discus. yours will get lonely and they like to be in groups in about 5-6.for your tank id really try to stick with the discus..But id still maybe try discus with a uaru for awhile.. see how it goes.

and snowflake hows your little pigeon doing?post more pics^.^

Watch out you might want to sell all your other fish and keep just discus. The problem I see with keeping discus with larger cichlids is that they are not aggressive feeders. The larger cichlids might keep the discus from getting as much food as he needs. So in the long run when the others are much bigger it might not work out. Myself as you might have read I am trying to re-home my Uaru to make room for more Discus. It's hard to find Uaru good homes. I might end up shipping them to someone.

Make sure you keep up on the WC as everyone will tell you and make sure your Discus get enough food. Good luck with him. Watch the uaru with the discus at feeding time. My Uaru are big time food hogs when feeding and nip at my parrot all the time when foods around.

Your little Discus is really pretty. Is he outgoing and swimming around? Do you think you will want more? Your tank is large enough for one good size Cichlids with 5 Discus. Maybe the Chocolate with a few Discus. Kind of like what I am trying to do for my dream tank keep my parrot with 5-6 discus. OR turn the 80 gal into a discus tank. Thats also my other idea.

It's just too early to tell how things are going to go.

Eric was not interested in eating at all yesterday ... not surprising considering his close escape from falling boulders in a fish bag !
My uaru and choc are certaonly good feeders but not manic at all. There certainly is no aggression whatsoever at food time. I deliberately chose the most outgoing, confident discus in the tank at the LFS, so I'm hoping that he will be able to hold his own at feeding time. Only time will tell though.
AT the moment Eric is not easily spooked, but is not actively swimming around the tank yet. He is just hanging around at the back. Just have to wait and see how he gets on today.
Thankfully, the others really seem to have accepted him completely now.

Water changes, I will keep up my standard 25% twice weekly. Should be fine from what I have read.

Most reactions

Back