I'm A Copycat !

keep in mind kaivalagi that those articles are talking specifically about other fish found within, around or near discus groups. not the actual group sizes of those particular fish outside of discus groups.

ie. while 5-10 angelfish might be found within discus schools, 500m away in a different part of the river/tributary etc. there might be a group of 200-500 angelfish with 5-10 discus for all we know

lethargicness -> lethargy

@DK403, do you think those stress bars Eric is displaying are beyond what would be expected for a newly introduced discus group in the same time span or is it just too early to say?

The stress bars are normal for newly introduced Discus, by no means is it beyond what I would expect. IMO Stress bars are better called mood bars, as some Discus can almost always show stress bars and still be healthy/happy, while others can show them when eating or fighting. Hiding, lack of appetite, lethargicness, dull/dark color (body and eyes) and especially sickness are the best stress indicators.
I agree completely with this and photos don't always show a correct indicator of bars. Colors can also be effected by tank lighting, backgrounds and substrate. Discus have a great ability to darken or lighten up just to blend it. But as DK said eyes and body signs are a great way to tell. Just always keep your eye on eyes clear eyes are a sign of a healthy fish were as cloudy eyes can mean problems. Same goes for body color if a discus seems to be darker longer than usual it is a good idea to keep an eye on them. Poop is also a great indicator for problems brown colored solid poo is good or similar to the color items you are feeding the fish is normal also. But white string like poo is usually an indicator of hex. Hex is normal in low levels but can be become harmful if it increases through various reasons such as stress. It is also important to look at how skinny or "plump" a fish is if you can see the backbone very easily or if they are looking pinched (sticking out gills with large eyes otherwise skinny) its good to take action straight away. On the opposite end of the spectrum a fish with a nice "plump" chin is often classed as a very happy healthy discus

keep in mind kaivalagi that those articles are talking specifically about other fish found within, around or near discus groups. not the actual group sizes of those particular fish outside of discus groups.

ie. while 5-10 angelfish might be found within discus schools, 500m away in a different part of the river/tributary etc. there might be a group of 200-500 angelfish with 5-10 discus for all we know

The article has stated 400 Discus to 250 Angels, not small numbers like 5-10, which from what I have read and researched would be very unlikely.

Naturally, Discus would be pretty low on the food chain in the Amazon (compared to larger species of fish/animals) so schooling would be important to keep them safe, such small numbers wouldn't offer much protection.

lethargicness -> lethargy

Lol. Thanks! I was trying to figure that out.

The article has stated 400 Discus to 250 Angels, not small numbers like 5-10, which from what I have read and researched would be very unlikely.

Naturally, Discus would be pretty low on the food chain in the Amazon (compared to larger species of fish/animals) so schooling would be important to keep them safe, such small numbers wouldn't offer much protection.

Angelfish are frequently mates of Discus in nature. Normally they are in a minority within a large Discus group, but I was recently very surprised to get 400 Green discus and nearly 250 angelfish together in one netting.

Pterophyllum scalare are found normally in smaller groups of five to ten within a large Discus group

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2572

Most reactions

Back