If You See A Problem At A Fish Store Do You Speak Up?

my local pets at home always has dead fish in several tanks, and have looked dead for days. it used to be ok as one of my oldest freinds was the manager so i could say something to him but he left and the new guy always knows best :angry:
 
If I see it at the store, I tell them. Most of the stores here know me, and all of them at least have somebody there who knows their stuff and will put a hold on the tank if they catch anything. Sometimes they already know, but not always, and I've managed to catch problems with hiding fish that the staff can't keep track of easily. One of the stores has even given me credit for catching problems with their tanks, which was pretty cool.

Anyway, this is why quarantine is so important - many diseases can be entirely invisible in the tank at the store and emerge only later, which is what happened to you. A small quarantine tank is cheaper to medicate and in the extreme case, you only lose your new fish. Also, while in this case you can be, you can't always be sure you brought a disease home - your existing healthy fish may not have been effected, but now you introduce a new stressed fish, and it falls victim.


Thanks good answers everyone. I will go back and check on them soon. If they still look bad I will say something. I know I should have a quarantine tank. I do have one but I'm using it for a betta with some funky problem right now that I am trying to treat. But that is another story. She acts fine and healthy but looks like ####. She has a tumour bump on one side. Bettas get tumours so I thought that's all it was. Now I notice her eyes are getting cloudy. I have one other betta in the tank with her and that fish dose not have any signs of problems. I keep her in that tank because I am scared she might and I just don't know it. They act fine eat swim are active and happy. I am thinking its some kind of gram negative bacteria. I have started treatment again we will see.

I go to this store a lot and never saw a tank with such a problem. The staff is very nice so I don't think they will mind me informing them. Next time I am there I will speak up.
 
I always say something - i use pets @ home for accessories - NEVER FISH , they very often have a dead fish or one with Ich in their tanks and i always ask for the assistant manager and he gets called down and tell him
I think it's best to get the fish treated so that it doesn't suffer and also so that some unsuspecting customer doesn't go and buy an ill fish and infect their whole tank (if they dont quarentine)

So my advice is ALWAYS speak up (if you feel confident if you dont just mention it to another shopper and they might speak up instead ;) ) as long as you point it out politely they aren't going to mind you doing it - Just think about the poor fishies , i know a lot of people say "they're only fish " but if you have that attitude you shouldn't keep them - IMO

Cheers Sarah xx

Yeay, Pipoodle, (and various others,) you go girl!
As pointed out by rabbut, a busy or uninformed staff may not have noticed or recognized the signs of illness, and in either event it needs to be pointed out in a helpful fashion.
As previously stated, if the fish aren't treated, they'll continue to suffer and possibly die, the disease will spread to more fish, and as well, more people will wind up spending maybe several hundred bucks over the course of a year for meds to treat new fish they may wind up losing.
Nearly every fish I've bought from my regular LFS over about the past year has been sick or had some problem, although previously I'd bought perfectly healthy ones there.
(But it's more stressful for the fish to be transported back and forth, and, assuming I have or can get meds, once I get them home they're mine! so buy stock in Mardel and Sea Chem...)
That LFS generally used to have more knowledgeable people, young girls or not, working there, although they seem now to have mainly young and not very knowledgeable girls, some of whom have had wicked, evil parents who won't let them have even a fish tank.
It was evidently one of these, and a new one, who looked at the betta I'd pointed out as having fin rot, a small (I thought baby but apparently probably stunted, as neither he nor another tiny betta with the same problem bought shortly afterward have appreciably grown) long-rayed (on several remaining ones, anyway and quite a few much longer ones now) crowntail with many varyingly but quite short stubby rays (some eaten off almost right up to his body) coated in actual lumpy black stuff (first I'd seen of that) and informed me that 'he's just like that'.
(I couldn't get him at the time, but he was there, same size, albeit with improved fin-condition, about a month later when I could.
Although he still had short rays with a bit of black stuff, and was still small and hadn't grown at all...
I'd never have guessed he had such extremely lovely colour, although I don't know if his fins'll ever grow out evenly, and both of those little ones are a worry.)
But any experienced person (and there weren't any there at the time) would have treated that betta off the hop - and would never have dismissed something so heartbreaking as 'normal', leaving it to progress until death or a mercy-buy occurred, although in this case, I should think the fish must have been treated at some point in order to have improved a month later.

And if you happen to notice a problem in one fish in a sale tank-full, it may be only because that fish was in a position to allow someone to see this clearly, something which may not often occur in early stages of an outbreak.
Signs of disease which may be quite obvious once they're floating in a bag in your home Q (or worse - other, possibly pre-inhabited) tank may not show at all in the varied schools of fish darting around in sale tanks.
(As an example of potential complications resulting from the purchase of unnoticed sick fish, I found this with some Harlequins I bought some time ago, which still have blackened [but not eaten away] fin-tips/edges and, despite a months Quick Cure treatment and the apparent long-term clearance of this, have just had a [mild] recurrance of what was probably ich but was so enormous I thought it must be another new parasite of some kind.
But the blackened - and at the time shredded - fins and the huge, lumpy white spot on one fish's caudal weren't visible in the store tank, although they hit me like a sack of hammers as soon as I pulled the bag out at home.
And at the time, they didn't even have the right and identifiable shape and looked especially like Halloween cut-outs due to the then-colourless dark-on-light pattern.
So, apart from a week's break from medications, which resulted in a small, lumpy white spot being [again] visible on one fish's tail, these little guys have spent months in isolation, under various mostly chemical treatments which must have cost at least $60-$80 to buy, apart from what I'd had on hand, and yet they continue to become more confident and normal in behaviour, livelier, more colourful, and prettier all the time...
Gotta love the poor little critters - but I'd never have bought them if I'd seen the problems in the store.
Especially as I'd evidently splashed with infected water an adjoining tank, where Graffitti, the most personable and interactive betta I have, suddenly developed horrible black fin rot, and the standard Maracyn and Maracyn 2 combo failed as thoroughly as did a number of other meds tried so far on all affected fish.
I'm hoping Jungle Fungus Eliminator, which I've heard recommended, might do the trick, if I can actually find/get some.
And although I was told by one of the LFS owners that Polyguard, which I'd had on hand, wouldn't help, I tried it on the Harley's, with salt, a week ago, out of desperation and the black on the fins is FINALLY actually [somewhat] diminishing, and so I have the affected bettas on it now as well, and all spare fingers crossed, which explains my typing.
Graffitti was one of my two betta boys which were sold as Half-Moons, and, as far as I can tell, would have been one if not for an outside ray bent the wrong way.
Somehow this makes the current wreckage of his tail even worse, and it's pretty much right up to his body now, having started in one, high spot, under where his beautiful, flowing dorsal fin draped over and hid it...)

If one, or one batch among sale fish, has a disease, the others have also been exposed, and it may well be the final shock of yet another transference into a customers home tank that weakens those other fish enough to allow the problem to flourish.
The lFS I've most often bought fish from has a policy of a 1 week refund on health issues, although one newish girl I spoke to, following an episode of having fish spinning head-down and obviously dying by the time I'd got them home following about a 15 min. drive straight there, attempted to tell me that there were no exchanges/refunds on sick/dead fish, until one of the owners overheard me saying in some disbelief, 'even if they're dying in the bag before you get them home?"
So one staff-person's statement may not reflect store policy.
And, going by my own experience, I'd say that it's better to check out actual policies and treatment of fish and customers, which is also best tested by speaking to someone in authority if possible, where a staff member - who may not be representative at all - fails to respond in an appropriate manner.
(Obviously, previous commenters know all this better than I do, but new people might read this, so I figured a little support for the 'speak up' contingent might be in order.
That and an alert for potential problems which might have been avoided if anyone noticing any sign of illness had mentioned this to the right person in the store.)
 
SO I went back to check on the fish. Some little plecos were still there some were gone but it has been a week.

I'm happy to say no signs of Ich in the tank. They must have taken care of it.

WOOHOO..
 
I've spoke up before to store assistant about the fact that there was atleast one dead fish (or the bones of fish) in every tank! i was disgusted, i asked if their going to remove them to which the lad answered 'he didnt have the time' nice attitude, so i went to the manager and he laughed and said he will do it.....nice attitude i wont go back
 
SO I went back to check on the fish. Some little plecos were still there some were gone but it has been a week.

I'm happy to say no signs of Ich in the tank. They must have taken care of it.

WOOHOO..


Glad to hear it!
And good for you, checking back like that.
I wonder if that was due to various customer's bringing it to their attention - and the awareness of lost sales as a result?
Although as far as I know, ich generally isn't really totally cleared in a week, although it may look like it, as the little white cyst-thingys (I'm so technical) may simply not show on fish at that point, while swarms of invisible critters may be present and in the process of reinfecting fish with a worse infestation, unless killed by meds in the one susceptible stage before beginning another cycle...
 
They dont believe you anyway, i was at a p & h once, and in one tank all the corys were up at the surface gasping, i walked passed thinking thats strange, other tanks with corys in were normal, ie fish on the bottom looking for food, i went back time and time again to see if i was correct, then i noticed no bubbles comeing out of the inlet pipe, all the other tanks had loads, i pointed it out to an assistant, who told me " nah they always do that", shug shoulders and walk off, why do i bother. Having said that, i think i was always HAVE to say something, di
 
They dont believe you anyway, i was at a p & h once, and in one tank all the corys were up at the surface gasping, i walked passed thinking thats strange, other tanks with corys in were normal, ie fish on the bottom looking for food, i went back time and time again to see if i was correct, then i noticed no bubbles comeing out of the inlet pipe, all the other tanks had loads, i pointed it out to an assistant, who told me " nah they always do that", shug shoulders and walk off, why do i bother. Having said that, i think i was always HAVE to say something, di

well prats at home as i like to call them dont have a clue about the fish they are keeping, they dont give a stuff about the welfare of the fish,

i asked them if they had any goodieds in and they said whats that? :o. i was like its a new type of clothing, i dunno why ive come here!
 
well prats at home as i like to call them dont have a clue about the fish they are keeping, they dont give a stuff about the welfare of the fish,

And just how many of the 200 or so stores have you personally visited to enable you to get that opinion? The one near me is very good with well kept fish including a decent marine section. I've chatted with the guy who runs it and he obviously knows his stuff. Some of the members of this forum are employees of P@H. Are you saying that those members don't care about the welfare of their fish either?

i asked them if they had any goodieds in and they said whats that? :o. i was like its a new type of clothing, i dunno why ive come here!

What? You mean an employee at a fish store doesn't know about every single type of fish there is? That is bad.

Although...

... it could just be that the Family Goodeidae is one that employee hasn't ever come across. I will admit I know nothing about them, or even really mollies, platties swordtails and any number of more commonly kept fish because I have never kept them and never wanted to read up on them.

I would like to think this doesn't make a fool who should never sell fish since I can also bore the pants off of most people about morays, frogfish, scorpionfish, porcupinefish, lionfish, SW sharks, SW rays, many catfish or how to set up larger multitank systems.

See, that's the wonder of dealing with people; different people know different amounts. When the employee answered quizically about your enquiry you could have provided a few common names to see if he has seen them in the store and educate him on that type of fish rather than just some sarcy response and leaving feeling all superior.



As an aside (perhaps a soliloquy even), it does seem that once members of this forum get to between 500 and 2000 posts they suddenly decide that if an lfs does not keep fish they want in a way they want and cannot answer some pretty specific care questions then the lfs must be rubbish. It happens time and time again; there must be a sociology or psychology paper in it somewhere.
 
i didnt actually say its a new type of clothing it was used for effect, i have been to 3 p@h in my area and none of them have repitable staff

and 1 employee serving for about 100 different species and doesnt know what stock they have got. i looked later on and they have actually got them
 
I am not familiar with P @ H but if they are not solely a fish store, it could be that the person working that day does not normally work in the fish room. Sometimes people call off or due to scheduling issues they must pull someone from another part of the store. I wouldn't condemn a fish store based on one bad experience or one perceived unknowledgeable employee.
 
i didnt actually say its a new type of clothing it was used for effect, i have been to 3 p@h in my area and none of them have repitable staff

and 1 employee serving for about 100 different species and doesnt know what stock they have got. i looked later on and they have actually got them
which goodeids are they and did you buy them?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top