If Anyone Wants My Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am major f****d off!!!! :grr:

My Pleco was being bullied last night by two of my angels (bought him on Thursday), they were pecking at its tail and head as it was on the side of the pump eating some algae. It seemed fine this morning, but now I've found it dead. So that is 5 cory (killed by the Serpaes) and a pleco that has been killed (I suspect) by the Angels. Since I've set it up as a tropical! All I want is a community tank and it would seem I am not going to be capable of housing any bottom dwelling fish, the tank is full of algae and it looks a mess.

So, I want shut of it! :no: I am sick of wasting money on new livestock and kit to end up scooping it out weeks later.

Why not keep your tank and remove the aggressors? Angels are in the cichlid family and can pick on other fish from time to time. In my experience with my angels, if they hand around in one spot too long like that of otocincluses, they become something of a toy and snack. I've never had issues with my corys yet.

Very rarely have I found any community tropical and peaceful fish that didn't at one point or another have one that asserted it's position more than others. It's called the animal kingdom friend. Just don't get semi-aggressive fish and expect them to live in total harmony with peaceful ones.

i can totally understand your frustration, but you cant expect all fish to get on with eachother, just like humans dont ;)
maybe before purchasing any other stock, you should post on here about what you're interested in keeping with your angels and go from there :)

To be fair to Ferg I know he researched his fish because I helped him with the plans of this tank a while back. Angels killing a plec is quite a rare thing so really unlucky there mate :(

Maybe go back over those stock lists we chucked out a while back and see if you can juggle up any plans based on that.

Also just a note to all above, Angelfish are not semi aggressive to the point that you should not put plecs with them. Plecs are armoured catfish quite litterally covered in bone plates, they can withstand attacks from much stronger nastier fish and for that reason this is a rare occurance.

If a plec had died in a tank I would suspect the thread to involve a jaguar cichlid or the likes rather than a few angels.

The term Semi Agressive really annoys me to be honest there are so many fish that are grouped under this and it is such an utterly crap term to use to describe any fish as a collective. Especially in a tank like Fergs semi aggressive would only start to be an issue when it was something that is actually known to be a predator.

I also hate it when people say oh dont keep them they are semi aggressive and as soon as people hear the word aggressive they just switch off when in reality I would probably say 7/10 times its actually inteligence mistaken for aggression. The more aggressive fish are actually termed as such because they either eat small fish or take up territory to raise their young.

Ferg seriously dont give up its an awesome tank you have and you were so excited when you started up! Everyone has rough patches in a tank believe me I know about it! And you always find something new to interest you with the hobby its just a case of balancing stuff out and the best way to do it is to talk about it and get a few opinions on it :)

Wills

Sorry to hear of your troubles but I wouldnt totally blame the angels. Any healthy plec will not tolarate any fish picking on it... I suspect the plec was ill when you bought it and might of died even if it was on its own. Remember you should quarinteen new fish if possible and plecs need places in the tank to hide.

Fishkeeeping is an expensive hobby and can be a pita, no doubt.

I'm sorry to hear you're having so many problems but really, don't give up on it.

Angels as a rule won't pick on plec to the point of killing them, although as with people you do always get 1 which goes against the norm as is a little so and so. I've known someone who had a molly which chased, stressed and eventually killed almost everything else in his tank, including angels!! However, like many fish, if they detect a fish has an illness of any sort they will try to push it out of their territory so that they don't catch it. I think that this is a more likely situation in this case I'm afraid, and I think that your' plec's death is more likey the end result of an illness I'm afraid.

It's really hard when things go wrong, especially when you can't see what the actual problem is.

Keep going with it cos it's such a rewarding hobby.

Matt

i have never heard of angelfish attacking plecos but i find anything is possible with those guys. I am sorry about you plec.

I agree with the comments above it is uncommon for angel fish to be so aggressive unless you have them in a too small tank. If you really think it was them then i suggest you get rid of them, sorry i know how attatched you can get to your fishies.

in the mean time, what are your water conditions like?
How big is the tank?

hope this helps x x x

Sorry to hear of your troubles but I wouldnt totally blame the angels. Any healthy plec will not tolarate any fish picking on it... I suspect the plec was ill when you bought it and might of died even if it was on its own. Remember you should quarinteen new fish if possible and plecs need places in the tank to hide.

Fishkeeeping is an expensive hobby and can be a pita, no doubt.

I agree with this. My experience is that there are alot of weak bn plecs out there and a few strong ones. Several times now I have purchased a plec that died within a week or two. I now have one that is six months old living with angels and one that is about 1.5 months old living with angels. But in six months I have had had 4 die after a week or two and I think were just unhealthy specimens.

Hang in there.

if all else fails dont give in just stick in and try again you will eventually get were you want be

from the biffster

I have a Royal Pleco and a Flash Pleco in with my Angel's. Never has my angel's attacked the Pleco's. Now that being said my Angel's are a mated pair and when they use to lay eggs there is some aggression but nothing more than a bit of chasing.
Actually I would think it may be a water quality issue first or just that the fish you are adding may have some health issues which happens from time to time when you purchase them. My Angels and Pleco's get along with all my fish.

9" BGK
7" Red Spotted Severum
4" Flying fox
(2) Geophagus Jurapari's
(10) Rummynose Tetra
(2) Clown Loaches
(8) Coradora's
Flash Pleco
Royal Pleco
(2) Adult Angelfish Paired

90 Gallon Aquarium Community Tank.

I really do not think the angels killed the plec, either you was just unlucky getting a new fish and it dying, this does happen alot, Or as stated what are your water stats? whats the heating temp?....I know it is fustrating but these things do happen, if you feel the angels to be the aggressors, then rehome them and set up a tank where all the fish are placid, i have kept plecs with everything,i even have a hoplo catfish now in my snakehead tank, they do not even look at him, Maybe the angels were picking at the plec,but thats quite normal with a new arrival with most fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back