Id This....

FeroX

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
166
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Any expert wood...people? Out there? hahaha, I just need this ID'd so I know if it's safe for aquarium use:


Overview:




Maybe you need to see the inside I'm not sure:




Bit of barked ripped off here's the actual wood part:




Anyone? :good:
 
I think Birch has a thinner more peeling type of bark.

We could tell easier if it had some leaves. You may need to wait until it warms up there :)

Hubby says it may be an Elm tree.
 
it looks like a pine fence :)
oh sorry you meant the branch. No idea ask your local nursery
 
Its definitely not a birch and i highly doubt it being Elm, as they have grooves when they are this size. I know someone who is good with wood, so I'll ask them when they get home and reply back.
 
it was a fallen down old log, so...no sorry I just picked it up from a jumble of sticks.

Well, the other posters are correct, it is indeed not a birch.

Pity you havent got any leaves...


Alnus serrulata
Carpinus caroliniana virginiana
Corylus avellana
Fagus grandifolia

After a quick look through me books, i came up with these. Do you have any fruit/nuts etc? I'm leaning toward a Beech species or Hazelnut....
 
I dont know if you have poplar tree there but that it looks like our poplar trees here if so its soft wood and not good as it will rot.Pat
 
Whatever wood it is (and I think it could be beech), it's not nearly old enough for an aquarium – nothing with bark still on it will be!
If you want to go down the 'found wood' route, go for a very old, heart-wood branch from under an oak tree, or a very old branch that has mostly rotted away under water for several years. Wire-brush it well to get rid of any soft material on the surface and when you are down to solid, hard wood, it should be safe to use...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top