Ich in tank!!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tphinney

Reaction score
Hello all, Iā€™m a new fish keeper and I believe I have an ich problem with my fish in my tank everything has ran smoothly to this point, but today I noticed some spots on my Severum and Oscar, and rainbow fish. Iā€™ve read just about everywhere and watched every video there is to try and treat this Iā€™m just wondering what you guys think is the best for the tank? I have 4 clown loaches, 1 Oscar, 1 severum, 1 rainbow fish, 1 Brichir, 1 blue parrot lastly a blue acara. Iā€™ve read that turning up the temperature to 30 degrees Celsius and adding Epson salts is affective and safe in treating fish especially clowns? Just wondering if all the fish would be able to handle the temperature adjustment for a couple weeks? Thanks so much guys!!

Can you attach a picture? Also what are your tank dimensions? Also what is your GH? Because at the moment, you have a tank that is mixed with soft and hard water fish. The hard water fish (rainbowfish) need a GH of over 250ppm. Whilst the other fish in the tank prefer softer water of around 100ppm. Also, clown loaches need a 6-8ft tank long and a group of 6 or so to be happy.

Hello all, Iā€™m a new fish keeper and I believe I have an ich problem with my fish in my tank everything has ran smoothly to this point, but today I noticed some spots on my Severum and Oscar, and rainbow fish. Iā€™ve read just about everywhere and watched every video there is to try and treat this Iā€™m just wondering what you guys think is the best for the tank? I have 4 clown loaches, 1 Oscar, 1 severum, 1 rainbow fish, 1 Brichir, 1 blue parrot lastly a blue acara. Iā€™ve read that turning up the temperature to 30 degrees Celsius and adding Epson salts is affective and safe in treating fish especially clowns? Just wondering if all the fish would be able to handle the temperature adjustment for a couple weeks? Thanks so much guys!!

Raising temp is in my opinion the best way to get rid of ich. Turn it up up slowly though over the course of a couple of days keepi there for around 2 weeks and dose with Epsom salts I think it's about a tablespoon per 5 gallons can't remember (Google should know). Dissolve this in a glass of warm water and add it to the tank slowly. This is the safest way to treat ich with clowns as pouring some bottled concoction can hurt there slime coat it can crash filters and just be a general pain in the bum.

As fish4dawin mentions your stock you have is quite a odd accumulation of fish. What are your water parameters? I would say I'm a little concerned it my be poor water quality that has caused the outbreak. Not to be cheeky or anything. Sorry if it seems that way. White spot is super serious for clowns as there prone to it sadly.

Given the stock list I would think you have a rather large tank? What type of rainbow fish is it Boeseman's rainbows? If so it would be happier in a group and totally different tank mates to be honest, they are more of a community tank fish eg tetras
,guppies.

Last edited:
Post pictures so we can confirm it is white spot.

Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) and rock/ aquarium salt (sodium chloride) does not treat white spot.

--------------------
White spot can be treated by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keeping it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have disappeared from the fish.

Before you raise the temperature, do the following.
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 80-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Your fish are all pretty hardy and should have no trouble at the higher temperature

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back