Ich and fish-in-cycling

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

amanda64

Reaction score
Hi! I am very new to having a fish tank. My kids have been asking for one so my hubby took them to a local farm and pet store and got a tank and GloFish. Itā€™s a small tank, 5 gallons, and we got 5 fish. He was told we could set it up and put them in right away. After some reading I now know that was very bad advice! After a few days the fish started to get white spots and I identified it as ich. Weā€™ve lost 3 of them already, not sure if itā€™s to ich or improper cycling. But this brings me to my big question... the ick treatment I got requires the removal of the filter, however the filter seems to be where the beneficial bacteria grow to properly cycle the tank. What can I do? Iā€™m sure weā€™re going to lose the last two fish, theyā€™re doing ok at the moment but the last one that died seemed fine the night before. Should I focus on treating the ich or cycling the tank? I feel like my poor fish are doomed. And if they do die, should I start over completely? Thereā€™s weird fuzzy stuff growing on some of the decor and I donā€™t know if I should start over or try to salvage the tank. Any help is appreciated! Iā€™ll try to attach some pics

Attachments

• 513B4054-5378-4D39-BFD0-2021D4F893A9.jpeg
    513B4054-5378-4D39-BFD0-2021D4F893A9.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 57
  • A41DCBD4-3454-4AEA-B232-FECCA861BDB7.jpeg
    A41DCBD4-3454-4AEA-B232-FECCA861BDB7.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi! Unfortunately, that tank size is too small for the fish you have. 5 gallons is better for a betta, but it can work for now while you handle the ich. Does the medication ask that you take out the filter, or the activated carbon/charcoal? It is true that the filter media holds a large amount of the beneficial bacteria. How long has the tank been running? Does the tank have a heater? Ich is very common, it can be treated with heat by bringing the temp up to 86 and doing regular water changes. What medication do you have?

If the Glofish die, you do not need to start over! You can replace the filter media, do a few water changes so it's all fresh, new water, cycle the tank while you give the ich time to die off, then get a betta or some shrimp or snails! You do not need to scrap everything!

Hi! Unfortunately, that tank size is too small for the fish you have. 5 gallons is better for a betta, but it can work for now while you handle the ich. Does the medication ask that you take out the filter, or the activated carbon/charcoal? It is true that the filter media holds a large amount of the beneficial bacteria. How long has the tank been running? Does the tank have a heater? Ich is very common, it can be treated with heat by bringing the temp up to 86 and doing regular water changes. What medication do you have?

If the Glofish die, you do not need to start over! You can replace the filter media, do a few water changes so it's all fresh, new water, cycle the tank while you give the ich time to die off, then get a betta or some shrimp or snails! You do not need to scrap everything!
Thanks for the reply! The tank has been running for about a week and a half.
I have API Super Ick Cure and it recommends removing the activated carbon or filter cartridge but keep the filter itself running. It says to keep it out for 48 hours, redosing and leaving it out for another 48 hours, then replace the cartridge and do a 25% water change.
I do not have a heater as I was told GloFish are ok at room temperature, but if that will help I will certainly get one! How warm can the water be for them?

The best method for now, for fish in cycle would be what OliveFish05 recommended. Raise temp to 86Ā°F and daily water changes, matching temp as close as possible and adding your water conditioner.

The fuzz on decorations is a part of the tank cycling more than likely.

Whiteskirt Tetra, like these glofish, need to be kept between 72Ā°F and 80Ā°F normally, but heat kills ich and they will be okay with high heat for the 2 weeks necessary. If there are temp fluctuations or too chilly, this can make the fish sick more easily, leave them vulnerable.

Most reactions

trending

Back