I want to switch up my stocking, but not sure what's best.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon high aquarium, currently stocked with 4 harlequin rasboras, 3 cherry barbs, 1 honey gourami, and 1 clown pleco.
I would love to add a school of chili rasboras to the tank. Would a 20 gallon high be suitable?
I'm going to have the chilis instead of one of the schools that I have now, but I'm not sure which of the schools I should keep. The cherry barbs are a very similar color to the chilis, but they tend to stay more at the bottom of the tank sifting through the sand. The harlequins would add different color to the tank, but I think two mid-dwelling schools might be too much.
Or should I just get a completely different school in addition to the chilis, and not have the barbs or the harlequins at all?
Whichever school I decide to keep (if any), I'm going to up their numbers to 6 for now, and then add more later depending on how big the chili rasbora school will be.
Any advice for my stocking options are very much appreciated!

"The harlequins would add different color to the tank, but I think two mid-dwelling schools might be too much. "

I think the mid section would not be crowded up because it's a 20 gallon high but it is honestly up to you.

I would drop both the harlequins and the barbs and add a dozen chilis myself. If I could find new homes for the fish going..........

I wanted to do that originally, but my mom says that she wants me to keep a bigger schooling fish too. She doesn't like really small fish. :rolleyes:

Then the barbs for at least 6 harlequin, 4 isn't really enough for a shoaling fish. Though a good dozen chili's may change her mind......

I think a big school of chilis would look great too. I'll try to convince her.

@FishFinatic77 I think you should start working on your mum for a bigger tank..........

The 20 gallon is a bigger tank. I started out with a 10 gallon. It took me a year to get this 20 gallon set up. :rolleyes:

If I do keep one of my schools, how many should I add, and how many chilis can I add?
I also really love cories, but I don't think even pigmy cories would be happy in my tank, right?
@Byron @essjay

Last edited:
If I do keep one of my schools, how many should I add, and how many chilis can I add?
I also really love cories, but I don't think even pigmy cories would be happy in my tank, right?
@Byron @essjay

There is no room for any new fish, because the first thing is to up the numbers of the rasboras and barbs you already have, if you keep those species. Both should have more. A 20g high (standard) is not much space, but this can work if you are diligent in your maintenance. The two species will without question be better off with a few more, that is what they "expect" and providing for expectations means healthier fish.

There is no room for any new fish, because the first thing is to up the numbers of the rasboras and barbs you already have, if you keep those species. Both should have more. A 20g high (standard) is not much space, but this can work if you are diligent in your maintenance. The two species will without question be better off with a few more, that is what they "expect" and providing for expectations means healthier fish.

Yes, I know I don't have enough. When I decide which of the 2 schools I want to keep, I'll up their numbers. I won't be adding any knew fish (besides adding to the school) until the other school is rehomed.

To be honest, I wouldn't keep chilli rasboras with any of the fish you have now. They are tiny little fish which would probably be intimidated by harlequins, cherry barbs and honey gouramis. I would only keep chili rasbora with other nano fish.

You think so? If they won't be happy, then I won't add them. I just feel like the fish I have now are a bit too big, and take away from the centerpiece gourami. Would ember tetras be better? Or something else? Or should I just avoid smaller fish altogether?

Ember tetras are bigger than chili rasboras, they might be OK if you rehome the barbs and up the numbers of harlequins.

Ember tetras are bigger than chili rasboras, they might be OK if you rehome the barbs and up the numbers of harlequins.

Great!
Now, I kind of know the answer to this question already, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Could I possibly get some pigmy cories instead of keeping the harlequins? I have sand in the tank, but I'm going to cover part of it with a carpeting plant. Also, the tank is a 20 gallon high, so I don't know if that's enough space for them.

I was just thinking (and please don't kill me), that it's not really fair to give my fish a home and then kick them out when I don't feel like having them anymore. If I keep the schools that I have now, how much can I add onto them without overstocking?

Reactions: kwi

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back