I want to switch up my stocking, but not sure what's best.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I was just thinking (and please don't kill me), that it's not really fair to give my fish a home and then kick them out when I don't feel like having them anymore. If I keep the schools that I have now, how much can I add onto them without overstocking?

While this is a worthy approach and one I wish more aquarists believed, you do still have to consider that this is your aquarium and the fish you put in it now should live a decade, some much longer. Will you be satisfied with leaving it (with a few more of the two present species) for 10-15 years? Many of us go down the additional tank road at this point, it is one way to deal with the question--just add another tank for "x", then another tank for "y", etc.

As I said previously, you could add to the two species now, and with regular maintenance (weekly substantial water change, substrate and filter cleaning frequently, not overfeeding, and live plants especially floating species) there is no reason this would not work. You are in this for the long term though, and if this does not seem viable it is better to re-home the fish now than later.

Great!
Now, I kind of know the answer to this question already, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Could I possibly get some pigmy cories instead of keeping the harlequins? I have sand in the tank, but I'm going to cover part of it with a carpeting plant. Also, the tank is a 20 gallon high, so I don't know if that's enough space for them.

If I were to re-home one of the two species (harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs) it would be the barbs. The rasboras, being rasboras, are more peaceful and easier to match with other fish. Cherry barbs are not as bad as most barbs in this aspect, though, but the rasbora being more "unique" in colour might also be more interesting. Or re-home both species and look at the many nano species. You could easily have three, four, five even six species of nano-type shoaling fish in this tank.

While this is a worthy approach and one I wish more aquarists believed, you do still have to consider that this is your aquarium and the fish you put in it now should live a decade, some much longer. Will you be satisfied with leaving it (with a few more of the two present species) for 10-15 years? Many of us go down the additional tank road at this point, it is one way to deal with the question--just add another tank for "x", then another tank for "y", etc.

As I said previously, you could add to the two species now, and with regular maintenance (weekly substantial water change, substrate and filter cleaning frequently, not overfeeding, and live plants especially floating species) there is no reason this would not work. You are in this for the long term though, and if this does not seem viable it is better to re-home the fish now than later.
If I were to re-home one of the two species (harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs) it would be the barbs. The rasboras, being rasboras, are more peaceful and easier to match with other fish. Cherry barbs are not as bad as most barbs in this aspect, though, but the rasbora being more "unique" in colour might also be more interesting. Or re-home both species and look at the many nano species. You could easily have three, four, five even six species of nano-type shoaling fish in this tank.

These posts are both very helpful and informative. Thank you. What do you think would be the best for the fish?

These posts are both very helpful and informative. Thank you. What do you think would be the best for the fish?

Well, to be direct in answering...increase the two groups a tad and provide a good environment and they will be healthy.

Well, to be direct in answering...increase the two groups a tad and provide a good environment and they will be healthy.

That's what I was leaning towards. How many fish could I add to each school without overstocking?

That's what I was leaning towards. How many fish could I add to each school without overstocking?

This is a question that usually gets answered relative to the fish load/tank volume. But there are other equally important considerations. While technically I would house both the cherry barbs and the harlequin rasbora in slightly larger tanks, we are here dealing with a "done deal" of sorts [though you could return both species, we've gone through that]. So providing what the species expects as closely as possible will mean healthier fish which also impacts the tank's biological system less than having fish whose basic needs are not being closely met. So it is not just numbers but requirements of the fish themselves. And here, both species will do better with more, though we obviously do not want to exceed the reasonable balance as that can cause stress too, and stress means poor health generally. As both are relatively quiet (not active) fish, the tank space is not prohibitive as it would be with more active species.

I wold have seven of each species, minimum. Six of the harlequin might suffice. But seven cherries definitely; this species needs the group to provide for its interactive behaviours.

This is a question that usually gets answered relative to the fish load/tank volume. But there are other equally important considerations. While technically I would house both the cherry barbs and the harlequin rasbora in slightly larger tanks, we are here dealing with a "done deal" of sorts [though you could return both species, we've gone through that]. So providing what the species expects as closely as possible will mean healthier fish which also impacts the tank's biological system less than having fish whose basic needs are not being closely met. So it is not just numbers but requirements of the fish themselves. And here, both species will do better with more, though we obviously do not want to exceed the reasonable balance as that can cause stress too, and stress means poor health generally. As both are relatively quiet (not active) fish, the tank space is not prohibitive as it would be with more active species.

I wold have seven of each species, minimum. Six of the harlequin might suffice. But seven cherries definitely; this species needs the group to provide for its interactive behaviours.

And 7 of each (maybe 6 of the harlequins) wont create too much of a bioload? I also don't want the fish to be too cramped... I just went through taking care of a cramped tank, and I really don't want to have to go through that again. Are you sure there will be enough room? I don't doubt your advice, I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into a mess here. I guess I'm slightly scarred from past mistakes.

Last edited:
And 7 of each (maybe 6 of the harlequins) wont create too much of a bioload? I also don't want the fish to be too cramped... I just went through taking care of a cramped tank, and I really don't want to have to go through that again. Are you sure there will be enough room? I don't doubt your advice, I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into a mess here.

And this is precisely why I have been hedging your question. I could easily manage this, as I have live plants, I do a substantial water change once each week without fail (70-75%), and I feed sparingly. But havinng said that, I would have a larger tank, or separate the species. The harlequins without the cherries would be better in this tank (a 20g standard). The cherries alone would be OK. In a perfect world...

And this is precisely why I have been hedging your question. I could easily manage this, as I have live plants, I do a substantial water change once each week without fail (70-75%), and I feed sparingly. But havinng said that, I would have a larger tank, or separate the species. The harlequins without the cherries would be better in this tank (a 20g standard). The cherries alone would be OK. In a perfect world...

Thank you so much for all of your advice and opinions. They really have helped a lot.
I'm going to have to think about what I should do. In the end, my fish are what's most important, and I want to make sure that whatever I decide will benefit them above all else. I'll let you know what I end up doing, and if I have any more questions, I'll ask. Thanks again!

I've been meaning to update, but I kept forgetting. :X I decided to keep both of the schools and just add to them as much as I can. I think that's better than taking them out of the tank, driving them all the way to my LFS (over an hour away), and then they might get bought by someone who has no idea what they're doing. At least with me, I can keep their water nice and clean and they have a nice home. I might even be able to upgrade their tank eventually.

I've been meaning to update, but I kept forgetting. :X I decided to keep both of the schools and just add to them as much as I can. I think that's better than taking them out of the tank, driving them all the way to my LFS (over an hour away), and then they might get bought by someone who has no idea what they're doing. At least with me, I can keep their water nice and clean and they have a nice home. I might even be able to upgrade their tank eventually.
Ooohh, photos please! Always good to see photos! :)

Dusty in here isn’t it? I love a happy ending. Wear your cape proudly.

Most reactions

Back