I Think I Know Why People Don't Cycle

Using fish food fouls up the tank and makes it look terrible. not to mention that when i tried it, it started to smell. as for pee...do you eat and drink and breathe non-polluted anything. there is so much crap in everything we eat and drink that our urine probably has a similar chemical make-up of a strong pesticide. so i won't be doing that

doing enough water changes to keep amm and nitrite well below .25 is no more unhealthy for the fish than living in the wild.

I was being somewhat flippant about the pee, though in desperation I would do that over cycling with fish.

Mmmm think we will have to agree to disagree on cycling with fish being no more unhealthy than fish living in the wild - think wild fish have somewhat more water than any of us can offer them!

I cycled my first tank using fish food, now if I had to set up a tank from scratch and had no other tanks I would go and beg some filter media from an LFS nearby.

There is just NO need to cycle with fish - and as for a tank looking manky if you use fish food, so? Id rather it looked manky for a while than harm my fish, we keep fish because they look beautiful, the very LEAST we can do is make every effort not to harm them in the process.

Cycling with fish - lazy fishkeeping and ignorant to boot.
 
Bio-Spira is a blessing. :P

Store near me sells it at a discount because I'm always there. If I wanted to set up a new tank I could just run down to the store, get some hardy fish and two packets of the stuff and bam, instant cycled tank.

For one ive used bio spira and had mixed to no results. sometimes i use it and bam, insta-tank. Other times... jack...

as for the why people dont cycle, is because LFS <3 $ and dont you forget it. throw down a stack get a nice tank oh, its okay, the guy at the store told me just add 5ml of this 10ml of this 11 grams of pixi dust and toss some bagets in the water.

Personally, i like the cycling time, gives me ample time to research each fish, ask questions, design my tank, make changes to it. and i just like the peacefullness of a well sculpted tank in the room, also i enjoy the peace of mind knowing my fish wont have to suffer when i put them in.
 
Huh!? Cycling???


I seem to remember this term vaguely but it's a distant memory from my first tank.

Every tank since has been cloned.
 
lol.... it really is true sarcasm is harder to show in text.

I advice customers on it every day. I also advice customers on cloning a lot too.
 
haha, sorry, true that one cannot convey scarcasm well over the internet. but in my defense, its IS 420am my time...
 
I am like many others here in one way, I no longer need to start from scratch to cycle a tank. I clone a new tank with established media. I do have one difference though, when I think the tank is ready for fish, I put some ammonia in it and make sure before I put any fish in it. If I have somehow failed to get a good clone from my old tank, its time to try again or wait the week it will take with only a sample of the desired bacteria to grow from.
 
i can't remember the last time i ever cycled :shifty: well all thanks to using filter media from other tanks. i dont see how hard it is to just borrow media from mature tanks. from friends or lfs even
 
There is just NO need to cycle with fish - and as for a tank looking manky if you use fish food, so? Id rather it looked manky for a while than harm my fish, we keep fish because they look beautiful, the very LEAST we can do is make every effort not to harm them in the process.

Cycling with fish - lazy fishkeeping and ignorant to boot.
believe it or not sometimes there is. i don't care too much about a manky looking tank so much as the smell. i live in an appartment complex with 6 neighbors. they complained about the smell when i tried it and the landlord threatened eviction. that means that route is gone. i refuse to pee in a place that i plan on keeping live animals. call me ignorant or lazy if you want but that's just foul. doing however many waterchanges to keep the water params safe is anything but lazy. i don't know maybe you have a different deffinition of the word

i can't remember the last time i ever cycled :shifty: well all thanks to using filter media from other tanks. i dont see how hard it is to just borrow media from mature tanks. from friends or lfs even
it's not hard if it's possible. there are only 2 decent lfs's within 2 hours of where i live and neither of them will give/sell mature media. the rest are petsmarts or petcos and i wouldn't trust them.

i'm not saying that fish-in cycling is great but i do think it's the only way sometimes. if all other options have failed for example. And i can be done well enough that there is no risk to the fish. it's just hard work
 
There is just NO need to cycle with fish - and as for a tank looking manky if you use fish food, so? Id rather it looked manky for a while than harm my fish, we keep fish because they look beautiful, the very LEAST we can do is make every effort not to harm them in the process.

Cycling with fish - lazy fishkeeping and ignorant to boot.
believe it or not sometimes there is. i don't care too much about a manky looking tank so much as the smell. i live in an appartment complex with 6 neighbors. they complained about the smell when i tried it and the landlord threatened eviction. that means that route is gone. i refuse to pee in a place that i plan on keeping live animals. call me ignorant or lazy if you want but that's just foul. doing however many waterchanges to keep the water params safe is anything but lazy. i don't know maybe you have a different deffinition of the word

i can't remember the last time i ever cycled :shifty: well all thanks to using filter media from other tanks. i dont see how hard it is to just borrow media from mature tanks. from friends or lfs even
it's not hard if it's possible. there are only 2 decent lfs's within 2 hours of where i live and neither of them will give/sell mature media. the rest are petsmarts or petcos and i wouldn't trust them.

i'm not saying that fish-in cycling is great but i do think it's the only way sometimes. if all other options have failed for example. And i can be done well enough that there is no risk to the fish. it's just hard work

I don't think you can say there's no risk to the fish, but if all else fails and you do it sensibly you can minimise the risk.

if the smell fo ammonia is a problem you can always use fish food.
 
I don't think you can say there's no risk to the fish, but if all else fails and you do it sensibly you can minimise the risk.

if the smell fo ammonia is a problem you can always use fish food.
ok there is a risk but it's really not much of one. i don't let the ammonia or nitrite get above .1 if i can help it and never above .2. i've never lost a fish due to cycling. when i tried using food to cycle a tank it smelled like something had died. that's what the neighbors complained about. maybe it was the type of food i used or the local water or a combination of both i don't know but i can't do that again.

like i said i've tried every method i've heard of to cycle without risk to the fish but i'm stuck with fish-in cycling unless cloning works. which it hasn't so far. i tried with every tank after the first cycled. believe me when i say that i didn't/don't want to lug around 40-50 3gallon buckets a day keeping the fish as healthy as possible

btw i'm sorry to everyone if i'm being argumentative but i don't really like it when people call me lazy and ignorant when they know nothing about me or what goes on in my life.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top