I Think I Know Why People Don't Cycle

moll

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NE England
I'm sitting here looking at a 200l tank and my little boy keeps asking where the fishes are and can we go fish shop.

My eye keeps getting drawn to it, I've never had this problem before as all other tanks have never been kept in the sitting room.

I know it shouldn't take long to cycle, we have used establishe media out of the other tank but I keep looking, it is so big and so empty with ony 3 little plants sitting in it, I'm off later to get bogwood and the other bits.
 
I am probably the most impatient person in the world. I want everything yesterday!!!!

It nearly killed me to go through a fishless cycle, I was VERY tempted on many an occasion, especially when I visited my lfs
 
honestly, most people don't cycle tanks before adding fish because of ignorance.

the vast majority of new fishkeepers who come on here asking for help because they didn't cycle is not through impatience, simply that they didn't know that they should cycle and the fish shop didn't tell them (not that i'm excusing them from doing their own research mind you).

but yeah, it's certainly frustrating staring at the empty tank :rolleyes:
 
To be fair leave the water 24hours for the chlorine to evaporate and you could probably add danios. But that goes against what i am sure most people here would say.
 
how long as the tank been cycling, you may be able to get some hardy fish Danios for example. this will help the cycling process
 
I'm being good its just trying to explain to a 3 year old for the 50th time since 8am is getting to me.
 
If you have used matured media from another tank, you can add fish now, just do regular water changes and good maintanance.
 
If you have used matured media from another tank, you can add fish now, just do regular water changes and good maintanance.

We have used the sponges out of one of our established filers I have added amonia just waiting for the levels to drop, but I don't think it will take long but I can't do anything else as my husband has claimed it as his.

I'm hoping i can work on this one as the declorinator we have used in the past has drove my skin mad so we have used a new brand in the new tank.

My son wants to stck foam fish on the tank to look nice :rolleyes:
 
If you have used matured media from another tank, you can add fish now, just do regular water changes and good maintanance.

We have used the sponges out of one of our established filers I have added amonia just waiting for the levels to drop, but I don't think it will take long but I can't do anything else as my husband has claimed it as his.

I'm hoping i can work on this one as the declorinator we have used in the past has drove my skin mad so we have used a new brand in the new tank.

My son wants to stck foam fish on the tank to look nice :rolleyes:

chlorine will be gone naturally in 24 hours exposed to air. i dont know why people add things to remove it.
 
I cycled my tank completely before adding any fish; I used the 'add household ammonia' method. I've got to admit it drove me crazy as I wanted to add fish, but the most frustrating part was every time i visite my LFS he just kept saying...ah, you'll be ok, add fish now!

I withheld and cycled properly and now have a beautiful well stocked community tank.

My logic is; be patient now and it will pay off in the long run (not the advice LFSs give mind you!).

He he - the foam fish should help your 3 year old!


P.s., thanks for all the advice I received from this site by reading some excellent threads.

Thanks a lot, honestly. :good:
 
If you have used matured media from another tank, you can add fish now, just do regular water changes and good maintanance.

We have used the sponges out of one of our established filers I have added amonia just waiting for the levels to drop, but I don't think it will take long but I can't do anything else as my husband has claimed it as his.

I'm hoping i can work on this one as the declorinator we have used in the past has drove my skin mad so we have used a new brand in the new tank.

My son wants to stck foam fish on the tank to look nice :rolleyes:

chlorine will be gone naturally in 24 hours exposed to air. i dont know why people add things to remove it.

because chloramine, which is being increasingly commonly added to water supplies, will not go no matter how long you leave it stand and can only be removed with de-chlorinator. De-chlorinator is also instant, so you can just fill up a bucket and add some and its done, instead of having buckets of water standing around, which with bigger tanks can become increasingly impractical
 
If you have used matured media from another tank, you can add fish now, just do regular water changes and good maintanance.

We have used the sponges out of one of our established filers I have added amonia just waiting for the levels to drop, but I don't think it will take long but I can't do anything else as my husband has claimed it as his.

I'm hoping i can work on this one as the declorinator we have used in the past has drove my skin mad so we have used a new brand in the new tank.

My son wants to stck foam fish on the tank to look nice :rolleyes:

chlorine will be gone naturally in 24 hours exposed to air. i dont know why people add things to remove it.

because chloramine, which is being increasingly commonly added to water supplies, will not go no matter how long you leave it stand and can only be removed with de-chlorinator. De-chlorinator is also instant, so you can just fill up a bucket and add some and its done, instead of having buckets of water standing around, which with bigger tanks can become increasingly impractical

Thanks for new info!!
 
Hi, just go to the toy store and buy some plastic fish. Cut them so they fill with water. That should keep the litluns happy till you cycle is done!
 
I'm doing a fishless cycle at the minute in my 5x2x2 that was my marine tank. I know what you mean about the frustration, and kids do put pressure on you. My niece and nephew are nagging me to put in fish, but my nephew has settled for his car ornament being in the tank.
What is the point of going to LFS and buying fish, knowing that they may or may not make it past a few weeks

Emma
 

Most reactions

Back
Top