I Need Some Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blubble37

Ohai dere c:
Reaction score
Just to settle a little thing between me and my dad, he's reluctant to let me invest in an external filter because he said the pipes will come off and leak water everywhere... i'm pretty sure this wont appen, but has anyone ever had a pipe leakage? i suspect if you do the thing up tight enough it wont have the chance, and with the engineering today i suspect that they would've almost designed these failiures out of the equation

but still, any advice/stories welcome

many tanks :p

Blubble37

Just to settle a little thing between me and my dad, he's reluctant to let me invest in an external filter because he said the pipes will come off and leak water everywhere... i'm pretty sure this wont appen, but has anyone ever had a pipe leakage? i suspect if you do the thing up tight enough it wont have the chance, and with the engineering today i suspect that they would've almost designed these failiures out of the equation

but still, any advice/stories welcome

many tanks :p

Blubble37
My ex bred fish for over a decade. If the tank wasn't attached to his sump it HAD TO HAVE A CANISTER. In over a decade not once did ever, any leak on there own accord. EVER!!. the mistakes are Human and not the equipment except in extreme circumstantial situations. put a tub around the "potential problem" and call it "insurance" .

Now problems Can happen but with proper attention they wont ever amount to much. Best filters to use IMO.

No leaks out of me, my dad's or my grandpas 50+ years of fish keeping. If it leaks, it's coz you haven't attached it up properly :p

he came over, looked at this thread, huffed and walked off XD

WIN

Nope, ive never had a pipe cone off. Although to even the balance my Fluval 304 external filter leaked all over without me knowing ... Made a bit if a mess but hey, like the saying goes, cant make an ommlette .....
Id defo go external filter mund, better for your fish, you can change your media to suit your tank requirements, easier on the eye as dont gave a big thing stuck in tank & much easier to clean/maintain (until you have to clean the pipes out which on my set up us a but if a mare!!) in my experience.
Hope this helps!!

uncommon but is not 100% guarenteed that it wont - main reason would probably be human error. However, pipes can crack and seals can certainly age and deterioriate if not maintained properly.

I have personally flooded my floor on three occassions because my mind was elsewhere when I was doing filter maintenance.

Do not show this post to you Dad.

I'm not sure if it was this year or last, but one day I had a panick when I went down to the 5x2x2 in the garage, finding the fish flapping around in ~10cm depth of water!:blink: :blink: :blink: :S

I was lucky on several levels because...
  • The lowest intake strainer of the two filter (my FX5) was ~10cm above the tank floor, preventing the tank emptying out completely, all fish were completely covered by water
  • I was using two 300W Rena Smartheaters down there at the time, which have an automatic cutoff if they sense they are above the waterline
  • Despite churning away air, the impellers of my FX5; APS2000EF; Aqua Medic powerhead did not burn out overnight
  • ~500l only flooded a ground level garage which had nothing of value on the floor, plus the floor has a slight incline to the drain I always use for the removed water anyway

The cause? I often play with the FX5 output position and this one time I only used one clamp to hold it in place, which was on the 22mm elbow and not the long bendy pipe... The weight and pressure of water in the pipe loosened the the pipe/rubber adapter interface and the bendy pipe fell to the floor.

Thanks! So as long as I do everything properly and my filter was actually made properly is should run fine (as long as I kaap my mind on track of things?)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back