FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarpyFishLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello!

I didn't post this in emergencies because I know what this is, and it's not lethal at this stage.

So yesterday I noticed some strange behavior in my new betta. He was dashing around, scraping against things, crashing into my heater... then I got out my flashlight and looked at him. He has 5 very out-of-place white specks on his body. Tilly's got ich.

My question is, how can I deal with ich in a betta? It doesn't seem like it would be much different from other fish, but then again, it does... the only thing I know about it is that you need to add salt and turn up the temperature. I'm not sure how much salt per gallon or how much to turn up the temperature, so I haven't yet.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

I have no clue why he got ich, for all you who will think it's all my fault. I acclimated him to the water, after vacuuming, and this is the 3rd day. I suspect he was fighting it off in the fish store, but the stress of moving made it show.

All water parameters are normal: Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0. I can't recall the pH, GH, and KH. I do know that chlorine is 0.
Temp is 78° F.
4 gallon Baby BiOrb.
I would send pics but my phone won't capture the specks.

I know the recommended temp is 86 F. I want to say salt is one tablespoon per 5 gallons. (One tablespoon equals three teaspoons I think.) But hopefully someone else will chime in on the salt amount as I'm not for sure.

Hi. Just wanted to ask a few things. Was the tank cycled? Is there areas for him to hide? What is filtration like? Please try to get the other parameters. The recommended minimum tank size is five gallons, so if you ever get the chance try to upgrade. About the ich, if you can afford it I think it would be worth getting some medication. Just check what your LFS has. I also believe you're supposed to raise the temperature to help treat it, but when you do make sure to do it slowly to avoid stress (I think it should reach a maximum of 85-86 degrees Fahrenheit.).

I forgot to mention, put him in a hospital tank. Don't treat him in the main one, otherwise he may contract it again after being ridden of it.

I forgot to mention, put him in a hospital tank. Don't treat him in the main one, otherwise he may contract it again after being ridden of it.
Ich should be treated in the main tank to get rid of it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

As you've got another thread about this on the go, I'll close this one to keep things in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back