Hurricane Ian

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

One thing I will always have trouble understanding is why are so many homes built of wood with those shingle things on the roof?

The old nursery rhyme about the three little pigs always comes to mind when I see houses over there.....the houses seem so fragile
That's pretty much the norm for most of the US....steel-framed houses do exist, but are rare, because of the cost

My small 1100 sq. ft pier-and-beam home was built in '44, and has survived many storms...Rita wrecked the shingles on the roof, but other than that, no major damage to the place in nearly 80 years

One remarkable thing is that homes here that have brick walls seemed to have sustained more damage from bad storms than the wood frame homes...I've been told that wood-frame homes can "bend" and "give" in extreme winds, whereas brick walls won't "give"...they break instead

Not sure how much truth is involved here, though

That's pretty much the norm for most of the US....steel-framed houses do exist, but are rare, because of the cost

My small 1100 sq. ft pier-and-beam home was built in '44, and has survived many storms...Rita wrecked the shingles on the roof, but other than that, no major damage to the place in nearly 80 years
Do not tempt fate...seriously don't do that

The couple who owned the forums initially had one of those cookie-cutter homes, but have since changed to an all brick built home in a different suburb of Houston

Ike pretty much forced their hand since both neighbours on either side of their house lost the roof and a chunk of house. Part of one neighbour's house landed on their roof and in their garden.

The house they moved to has alot of land around the home, so no low flying parts of other people's houses to worry them anymore.

One remarkable thing is that homes here that have brick walls seemed to have sustained more damage from bad storms than the wood frame homes...I've been told that wood-frame homes can "bend" and "give" in extreme winds, whereas brick walls won't "give"...they break instead

Not sure how much truth is involved here, though
90% of UK housing is brick with slate or concrete tiled roofing.....

On the odd occasion when we get severe storms and when we had our last full on hurricane in 1987, buildings were damaged...most were repairable and not too many were completely flattened

The occasional low flying roof tile or bit of fancy brickwork from a balcony...but on the whole, most buildings do manage to keep their tops and walls in place

Trees and scaffolding tend to go walkies more than anything else......apart from those garden trampolines, they tend to get everywhere (especially stuck up trees or on other homes rooftops)

Just got updated to a cat 5 😰

035748.png

Not a pretty sight.

Current public advisory..

One of the most incredible aspects of Hurricane Ian is seeing the ocean pull away from the shorelines prior to the storm surges. It is a phenomenon usually associated with tsunami and to see it with a hurricane is quite rare.

Hurricane Ian has shown up one important detail that is often forgotten about......elevation

Fort Myers at a little over 3 meters elevation was always going to be subjected to more storm surge damage than Tampa at 15 meters elevation.

Inundation from storm surges in both Fort Myers and Tampa have been very severe, which when you consider the difference in elevation is unusual....put that with the retraction of the ocean directly prior to the surges, which gives those surges that bit more strength...the pull out then push harder effect.

The thing that concerns me is if a hurricane of similar or identical behavioural traits as Ian...or Katrina....hit the city of Miami head on. Miami...especially the highrise waterfront...is just 2 meters elevation.

People might think that it would not take a direct hit....well in 2012 New York took a direct hit from Sandy and NYC was severely inundated by storm surges without the retraction as seen at Fort Myers and Tampa and NYC has a 10 meter elevation

Miami has been growing upwards for many decades, the ground is mostly reclaimed sand/swamp. Hurricanes have brushed Miami but so far not many have done a full on direct hit and none have been as strong as Ian or Katrina on landfall or experienced the retraction prior to surge as per Katrina and Ian.

I understand that Miami and Florida in general is classed as the snowbird playground and the jewel in the holidaymakers crown and that developers are forever expanding their real estate.

But personally I cannot dismiss the very real dangers that seem to be being ignored.

Hurricanes are getting stronger, the retraction prior to surge of Ian is virtually identical to Katrina......the bulk of Florida is built on unstable sand/swamp land. Florida has the greatest number of sinkholes in the world and that number grows daily. There are high and low rise building collapses right along both Gulf and Atlantic coastlines on a frighteningly regular basis, most never get into the media for fear of speading panic.

A city like Miami that is built on and over the sea if it took a direct hit....simply will not survive another Katrina or Ian or worse.

Miami's 2 meter elevation....that is just 6.5ft......think about it.

And still developers are allowed to keep building their glittering towers, themeparks.....

2 meters/6.5ft......

Counting the cost of Fort Myers and Tampa and all the other areas swamped out by Ian, let alone the collateral damage done by high winds and torrential rain from Ian....recreate that as Miami city center and waterfront and...well....doesn't bear thinking about really, does it?

When I was house shopping, even in eastern Canada where Fiona was a surprise, I accessed flood prediction maps from climate change studies, and looked at the contours of the land they showed. I consciously picked a house at a higher elevation, since my dream was to be able to see the ocean from a window.
I can pat myself on the back if I want, but I am more likely to shake my head at how developers got approval to put over a hundred new houses into the floodplain that loops a km behind me. It will flood if we ever get a large storm surge, and even "regular" nor'easters have brought seawater very close to that plain already. It's almost as if the supposed invisible hand of the market has become some sort of protective god to a lot of people.
Short term thinking and short term economics will have an impact.

This hurricane is a terrifying force. As someone with next to no hurricane experience, the two borderline level one storms I've been in have been eye openers. A category four or five? We're ants in front of a thing like that.

I hope all people affected are safe.

Today and for the next couple of days the Carolinas and Georgia are going to receive significant rainfall from Ian as it dissipates which will bring about severe flooding in lower elevation areas.

Just cos Ian has largely run out of puff now doesn't make things any safer for the areas that it hit at full tilt or the areas that will receive the after and side effects.

We have another potential hurricane to consider now too....Orlene. She is working her way up towards the Baja Peninsular and slowly gaining strength as she goes

083339.png

And just to add insult to injury there is a tropical depression, #11, forming out in the Atlantic that could potentially become something larger and head either into the Caribbean or Florida early next week depending on how well it forms and how its wind speeds increase, if, indeed, they do increase. Currently it is a "watch & wait".

084527.png

The hurricane and typhoon season is far from over, best be as prepared as possible, plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Today and for the next couple of days the Carolinas and Georgia are going to receive significant rainfall from Ian as it dissipates which will bring about severe flooding in lower elevation areas.

Just cos Ian has largely run out of puff now doesn't make things any safer for the areas that it hit at full tilt or the areas that will receive the after and side effects.

We have another potential hurricane to consider now too....Orlene. She is working her way up towards the Baja Peninsular and slowly gaining strength as she goes

View attachment 167739

And just to add insult to injury there is a tropical depression, #11, forming out in the Atlantic that could potentially become something larger and head either into the Caribbean or Florida early next week depending on how well it forms and how its wind speeds increase, if, indeed, they do increase. Currently it is a "watch & wait".

View attachment 167740

The hurricane and typhoon season is far from over, best be as prepared as possible, plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Thankfully, no worries about #11

WTNT41 KNHC 291439
TCDAT1

Tropical Depression Eleven Discussion Number 5
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112022
1100 AM AST Thu Sep 29 2022

The overnight deep convective burst with Tropical Depression Eleven
did not appear to help spin up its low-level circulation. In fact,
morning visible satellite imagery suggest that the circulation is
actually losing definition, and may already be in the process of
opening up into a surface trough. For now, we will continue writing
advisories on the system, pending scatterometer data expected later
today. The latest intensity was held at 30 kt based on the CI
numbers from TAFB and SAB. If the current trends on visible
satellite imagery continue, the system may be declared either
post-tropical or dissipated as soon as this afternoon. Vertical wind
shear only increases from here on out as the mid-level relative
humidity remains quite low, so it looks increasingly unlikely the
structure can recover. The NHC intensity forecast shows more
immediate weakening but is generally in line with the intensity
guidance consensus.

The initial motion appears to still be off to the northwest, just a
bit faster at 320/12 kt. This general motion is expected to
continue until the system dissipates, as the system is steered
generally by a low-level ridge that has nosed in to the northeast of
the depression. The updated track is quite similar, but just a
touch west, of the prior track, remaining close to the consensus
aids.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 29/1500Z 19.1N 37.4W 30 KT 35 MPH
12H 30/0000Z 20.6N 38.7W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
24H 30/1200Z 22.8N 40.4W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
36H 01/0000Z...DISSIPATED

$$
Forecaster Papin

Welp my family there isn't evacuating... They feel like they can't leave the animals behind... Which is a really good reason but imo I would rather have my family alive. And I understand, the guilt and sadness of leaving animals behind to die would be so heartbreaking, I can't imagine. But human lives are way more important at times like these. I just hope... I really hope nothing bad happens

Welp my family there isn't evacuating... They feel like they can't leave the animals behind... Which is a really good reason but imo I would rather have my family alive. And I understand, the guilt and sadness of leaving animals behind to die would be so heartbreaking, I can't imagine. But human lives are way more important at times like these. I just hope... I really hope nothing bad happens

The worst part of the hurricane has passed through most of the State, and is now a tropical storm....evacuating is a moot subject, now.

Have you heard from them?

The worst part of the hurricane has passed through most of the State, and is now a tropical storm....evacuating is a moot subject, now.

Have you heard from them?
I should of said "didn't evacuate"...

Last I heard from my niece was yesterday... I should text her and my sister this morning...

Most reactions

Back