Hurricane Ian

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My friends mom lives in Florida. She had to leave. Currently the bridge to her island is destroyed and there’s a large tree through the roof of her house
So sorry to hear... 😔

Listening to lots of wind and rain outside my room at the moment... Making me sleepy 😴

It will take alot of time, effort and investment to repair the damage done by Ian across Florida. Made worse by looters who have no sense of common decency who have seen fit to cause even more hardship and heartbreak to owners of homes and businesses damaged by the hurricane's wrath.

It actually would not surprise me if some parts of the damaged areas are left cleared but not repaired/replaced, just like so much of NOLA after Katrina. Not everyone has sufficient or any insurance for their homes, its expensive living in what is a hurricane zone and insurance companies no doubt take full advantage of that when pricing their policies.

Alot of lives lost and/or ruined....and another reminder of just how vicious Mother Nature can be when she wants to be.

Apparently...as is often the case...we over this side of the pond will be receiving a visit by mini Ian this weekend...95mph wind gusts, torrential rain etc

Whatever happens on the other side of the pond, almost always arrives on this side of the pond eventually

Why... Why would you do that. I guess it's OK for now but I probably wouldn't be doing that lol.

I'm really getting worried for my family down there now. Their home and all the animals as well as themselves obviously... I'm hoping they come up to us. We can see eachother after so many years and also if anything happens to their home they won't be in it...
But all the animals 😔
You haven't been in a hurricane if you haven't been outside to watch stuff fly, do some boogie boarding on flooded streets, gone to the beach to swim/surf the swells, or just stand there with a flag of your choosing and looking wild in the wind. Those are just Florida facts

You haven't been in a hurricane if you haven't been outside to watch stuff fly, do some boogie boarding on flooded streets, gone to the beach to swim/surf the swells, or just stand there with a flag of your choosing and looking wild in the wind. Those are just Florida facts
And you lived to tell the tale.

And you lived to tell the tale.
Yup. All that plus punt the occasional gator resting on the everglades or the ones that venture into town.
Joking aside, I lived there over 10 years, I consider myself Floridian and love the place. My family lives there, and we went thru a couple of tough ones, live inland far enough that most hurricanes season just meant more rain than usual and the occasional blackout, however there was one , Katrina if I remember correctly, where we suffered roof damage, the entire house felt like it was going to take off and we were without power for nearly a month. Matter of fact we were the last ones to get power restored because stupid power company would not ok to simply put up a mast the way it was before because of "code".

I've been to the beach during hurricanes, done boogie boarding and did punt a gator once on alligator alley.

Joking aside, it's part of life down there, at some point you'll get hit. All one can do is prepare as best one can and just enjoy what's otherwise a wonderful life in the eternal sunshine state. I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

Of course, prayers for those who lost property, or worst of all, lives.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back