Hurricane Ian

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cuba has been severely damaged and like Puerto Rico a few days ago has lost all power thanks to Ian & Fiona

Seems Ian is making a beeline for Tampa at strength 4

With so much of the Florida panhandle being on or below sea level and/or marshland, a direct hit as is forecast for Tampa is inevitably going to cause Katrina type collateral damage and human displacement. Hopefully evacuation orders are being not just issued but enforced but you will always have those who cannot leave or who are determined not to leave

095758.png

Cuba has been severely damaged and like Puerto Rico a few days ago has lost all power thanks to Ian & Fiona

Seems Ian is making a beeline for Tampa at strength 4

With so much of the Florida panhandle being on or below sea level and/or marshland, a direct hit as is forecast for Tampa is inevitably going to cause Katrina type collateral damage and human displacement. Hopefully evacuation orders are being not just issued but enforced but you will always have those who cannot leave or who are determined not to leave

View attachment 167652

If interested, read the discussion blog at the bottom of the article: https://yaleclimateconnections.org/...k-toward-florida-catastrophic-rains-expected/

And speaking of Katrina...this was issued by the NWS the day before landfall:

WWUS74 KLIX 281550 NPWLIX

URGENT — WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA 1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH... RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE!

I really hope my family there leaves...
I feel so helpless right now as a teen who can't do much

If interested, read the discussion blog at the bottom of the article: https://yaleclimateconnections.org/...k-toward-florida-catastrophic-rains-expected/
Interesting perspective

With my interest in cruising, that too has been severely impacted by Ian and Fiona....Ian for the Florida ports and Fiona for the Eastern Canadian ports

Currently the Ports of Canaveral, Tampa, Jacksonville are closed to all sea traffic and Charleston is on watch due to Ian.
In Canada there is severe damage reported in Cape Breton leading to the closure of Sydney til the weekend earliest, Louisbourg is damaged and without power. Port Charlottetown is closed due to damage and no power. Port Aux Basques severely damaged is closed indefinitely. All other ports in the area have reported varying levels of damage but are, so far, remaining open.

Due to running a cruising forum, dealing with the hurricanes, typhoons etc has always been part and parcel for me. Over the last couple of weeks there have been three super typhoons in the Pacific area that have caused substantial damage to the Philippines, Japan and Guam.

The UK is lucky in that it is very rare to have such weather here...although in 1987 we did have a hurricane that I happened to be driving the truck during its height. We do get the after effects from storms across the Atlantic...we are expecting a diminished Fiona over the next day or two.

And speaking of Katrina...this was issued by the NWS the day before landfall:

WWUS74 KLIX 281550 NPWLIX

URGENT — WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA 1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH... RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE!
Katrina was something else....she was more like a typhoon in her behaviour than the usual hurricane

The damage that she did was exacerbated by the below sea level status of NOLA and its suburbs along with the extensive waterways and Lake Ponchartrain

The issue that faces certain areas of Florida is that so much of the State is reclaimed swamp and is extremely sandy based soil under the surface...hence the building collapses of recent years especially in and around Miami.

So many people are wanting to live in Florida, The Keys and in other areas such as parts of Louisiana and Texas where ground to sea levels are relatively low, you are getting land reclaimed which really is not suited to being built on anyway that is then dealt a double whammy by being on a direct hit with hurricanes during the season.

There seems to be alot of complacency sometimes....build the big condo's etc and sort of ignore the impact of nature on those condo's whether it be via erosion or hurricane or both.

Katrina should have taught people and especially developers some serious lessons....it did for about a year, then it was back to business as usual.

Katrina was something else....she was more like a typhoon in her behaviour than the usual hurricane

The damage that she did was exacerbated by the below sea level status of NOLA and its suburbs along with the extensive waterways and Lake Ponchartrain

The issue that faces certain areas of Florida is that so much of the State is reclaimed swamp and is extremely sandy based soil under the surface...hence the building collapses of recent years especially in and around Miami.

So many people are wanting to live in Florida, The Keys and in other areas such as parts of Louisiana and Texas where ground to sea levels are relatively low, you are getting land reclaimed which really is not suited to being built on anyway that is then dealt a double whammy by being on a direct hit with hurricanes during the season.

There seems to be alot of complacency sometimes....build the big condo's etc and sort of ignore the impact of nature on those condo's whether it be via erosion or hurricane or both.

Katrina should have taught people and especially developers some serious lessons....it did for about a year, then it was back to business as usual.
I'm well versed in hurricanes, living here in SE Texas...it wasn't long after Katrina that Hurricane Rita hit us hard...nightmarish...no power for 6 weeks

I'm well versed in hurricanes, living here in SE Texas...it wasn't long after Katrina that Hurricane Rita hit us hard...nightmarish...no power for 6 weeks
And wasn't there that one hurricane in TX just a few years ago that was really bad to?

And wasn't there that one hurricane in TX just a few years ago that was really bad to?
Laura, and Delta....evacuated for Laura, power out 6 days...stayed for Delta, didn't lose power, but a huge tree (neighbor's) barely missed destroying my garage when it came down

The forums that I built were owned by a couple who live in a Houston suburb

They invited me to their wedding....actually not just invited me, they paid for my flights and a 4 night stay at the Hilton Westchase.

It was about 10 days after Hurricane Ike had visited in 2008 but still the damage to Galveston and areas tween Galveston and Houston were very visible, not least at IAH where I arrived/departed from/to Amsterdam. I have to admit that the sight of seeing so many buildings destroyed or damaged as I flew over both approaching IAH and again when I left, was eye opening and very shocking to see first hand.

The clearing up was still very much underway. Pretty scary stuff tbh.

Laura, and Delta....evacuated for Laura, power out 6 days...stayed for Delta, didn't lose power, but a huge tree (neighbor's) barely missed destroying my garage when it came down
I could have sworn there were other ones with different names but maybe my memory is bad. .

The forums that I built were owned by a couple who live in a Houston suburb

They invited me to their wedding....actually not just invited me, they paid for my flights and a 4 night stay at the Hilton Westchase.

It was about 10 days after Hurricane Ike had visited in 2008 but still the damage to Galveston and areas tween Galveston and Houston were very visible, not least at IAH where I arrived/departed from/to Amsterdam. I have to admit that the sight of seeing so many buildings destroyed or damaged as I flew over both approaching IAH and again when I left, was eye opening and very shocking to see first hand.

The clearing up was still very much underway. Pretty scary stuff tbh.
Yes, Ike is another one I'd like to forget...in my area, the damage wasn't so much wind related (like Rita), but flood related

It was remarkable to see far-inland death to marshes, trees, and grasses from the inundation of sea water

Luckily, my home remained pretty much unscathed from both Rita & Ike.....and then of course, there was Harvey...another flooding nightmare

Yes, Ike is another one I'd like to forget...in my area, the damage wasn't so much wind related (like Rita), but flood related

It was remarkable to see far-inland death to marshes, trees, and grasses from the inundation of sea water

Luckily, my home remained pretty much unscathed from both Rita & Ike.....and then of course, there was Harvey...another flooding nightmare
Harvey! That's the one I was thinking of... And I think Ike was the other

One thing I will always have trouble understanding is why are so many homes built of wood with those shingle things on the roof?

The old nursery rhyme about the three little pigs always comes to mind when I see houses over there.....the houses seem so fragile

Most reactions

trending

Back