The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This is going to be a catastrophic, devastating storm (I've personally seen more than my fair share, where I live)

I hope all of our members in the area to be affected heed the warnings of their local authorities, and evacuate if advised...stuff can be replaced, lives cannot

Below the following article is some good, live discussion in the comments section...but you have to register with Disqus if you want to comment

Here in the UK we don't have any dangerous weather systems, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like going through it all.

Though I am likeminded as you Slaphppy7. If there's a chance you might get caught, then get out of there, don't take the chance. Stay safe guys!

My uncle lives down there, luckily he is up where I live staying with my grandma. He came up even before the storm, and he brought his cat so she's safe too. He decided to extend his trip longer once Ida became a thing.

My uncle lives down there, luckily he is up where I live staying with my grandma. He came up even before the storm, and he brought his cat so she's safe too. He decided to extend his trip longer once Ida became a thing.
Good for him, and good for the kitty, as well...smart decision

This is going to be a catastrophic, devastating storm (I've personally seen more than my fair share, where I live)

I hope all of our members in the area to be affected heed the warnings of their local authorities, and evacuate if advised...stuff can be replaced, lives cannot

Below the following article is some good, live discussion in the comments section...but you have to register with Disqus if you want to comment

Are you in its path ?

Pheeewww !
On french riviera coast we experience mediterranean hurricane more or less every year between october an december for fifteen or so years. The worst we had caused 22 deaths in less than 90 min rainstorm. Scaring !

Hey there,
I do hope none of you has been affected by hurricane Ida.
Good vibes to those that suffered damages.

OK probably a really stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway

How is it that a country that has an annual hurricane season never seems to be very well prepared when one is heading in?

I remember Katrina and all the talk of being more prepared for "the next big one" and here we are with Ida and there are still hospitals losing their roof and failing gensets....massive power outtages....severe flooding from the surge and damaged levies etc

The one and only time I flew to the US was about 10 days after Ike hit Galveston in 2008, I went to a wedding in Houston. It struck me how ill prepared some areas were so poorly maintained and how buildings appeared to collapse so easily.

As someone who lives in a brick built flat, please explain why homes & hospitals are so flimsy in what is a normal, annual hurricane inflicted area?

I'm sorry but I just do not understand the building codes or how whole swathes of a city can be wiped off a map time and time again, especially the poorer areas as if they are somehow disposable.

OK probably a really stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway

How is it that a country that has an annual hurricane season never seems to be very well prepared when one is heading in?
Quite easily. Being prepared takes time and more importantly, money.
I remember Katrina and all the talk of being more prepared for "the next big one" and here we are with Ida and there are still hospitals losing their roof and failing gensets....massive power outtages....severe flooding from the surge and damaged levies etc
When substations are under water, or transmission poles are knocked down, there goes the power. When your city is built at or below sea level, any storm surge is going to cause catastrophic flooding. No levy is going to stop a 15-20' surge. Battle mother nature and you'll almost always lose.
As someone who lives in a brick built flat, please explain why homes & hospitals are so flimsy in what is a normal, annual hurricane inflicted area?

I'm sorry but I just do not understand the building codes or how whole swathes of a city can be wiped off a map time and time again, especially the poorer areas as if they are somehow disposable.
Has your brick flat ever been exposed to sustained 140mph winds? Your walls may stand, but your roof may not. Much of the city was built long ago, before they understood the power of hurricanes. And as years have gone by, climate change has increased the number and veracity of hurricanes. And when low income areas are wiped out, they don't have the money to rebuild homes, let alone "hurricane homes". And forget government. They have "better" things to spend dollars on :rolleyes:

Has your brick flat ever been exposed to sustained 140mph winds? Your walls may stand, but your roof may not. Much of the city was built long ago, before they understood the power of hurricanes. And as years have gone by, climate change has increased the number and veracity of hurricanes. And when low income areas are wiped out, they don't have the money to rebuild homes, let alone "hurricane homes". And forget government. They have "better" things to spend dollars on :rolleyes:
Strangely enough in the background I have an old 2008 edition of Animal Cops Houston on the TV. The episode when Ike hit Galveston and they, along with other animal welfare organisations, went to Galveston to rescue pets and other animals.

It was mentioned that the HSPCA building was built to code against a strength 3 hurricane which I understand since Houston is inland compared to other cities in that area. But even so, that does seem very low rating for any building in a known hurricane zone...to me at least.

When I flew into IAH, the approach was over Galveston and the views of wrecked homes and businesses below will always stay with me.....I do not think I will ever understand why even the big name hotels and resorts never seem to have buildings that can withstand at least a Cat 4, let alone domestic properties.

After all the promises from Katrina, seeing the footage of 9th Ward in NOLA and those people who were already down on their luck being completely wiped out...then seeing the aftermath of Ike first hand and now Ida.....it makes me sad and angry that so little seems to be being done to prevent so much damage and hardship.

We are lucky, we only get a hurricane or tornado once in a blue moon....but seeing the devastation year in, year out every hurricane season and all the empty promises to those people who lose everything....it shouldn't be happening in the 21st century.

Strangely enough in the background I have an old 2008 edition of Animal Cops Houston on the TV. The episode when Ike hit Galveston and they, along with other animal welfare organisations, went to Galveston to rescue pets and other animals.

It was mentioned that the HSPCA building was built to code against a strength 3 hurricane which I understand since Houston is inland compared to other cities in that area. But even so, that does seem very low rating for any building in a known hurricane zone...to me at least.

When I flew into IAH, the approach was over Galveston and the views of wrecked homes and businesses below will always stay with me.....I do not think I will ever understand why even the big name hotels and resorts never seem to have buildings that can withstand at least a Cat 4, let alone domestic properties.

After all the promises from Katrina, seeing the footage of 9th Ward in NOLA and those people who were already down on their luck being completely wiped out...then seeing the aftermath of Ike first hand and now Ida.....it makes me sad and angry that so little seems to be being done to prevent so much damage and hardship.

We are lucky, we only get a hurricane or tornado once in a blue moon....but seeing the devastation year in, year out every hurricane season and all the empty promises to those people who lose everything....it shouldn't be happening in the 21st century.
It is horrible, you're absolutely right. As for building codes, I don't know that you can truly build for the force of these storms. Like building in earthquake zones. They have ideas on how to engineer structures to withstand, but very few can afford to build that way. Even so, we're talking about forces of nature. You're not going to win. What if you build a home that withstands the wind forces, but then it ends up under water? The area is the problem. Some places are below sea level. It will never change though because there's too much history there. It's an amazing place with some of the best people you'll ever meet. I can see why so many risk everything to be there. Just sad what they go through.
I'd like to see them fund relocation for these families inland. But again back to the all mighty dollar. And our government would rather squander it elsewhere.

In the 21st century, nothing surprises me anymore.

Most reactions

trending

Back