How’s the weather?

got 3 inches of snow yesterday...another rain/snow storm coming tomorrow....this season has mostly been rain...very little snow this year compared to other years here in the northeast US

So I woke up around 3 AM and looked outside. It was snowing hard, and blowing. That happens here.
This morning at 6, my old dog needed to go out fast. I opened the door and there were 2 snowdrifts blocking the way, and sheets of ice cold rain falling. I grabbed a shovel and started to cut a path. The rain was coming sideways and the deck behind the house felt like I was out with my Newfoundland ancestors running for port in a gale. You know those old movies where they are throwing buckets of water at the sailors?
The dog, who loves a leisurely morning stroll, ran out and skedaddled back in as quick as her almost 15 year old legs could carry her.
At the moment, I feel like an ant who has built a nest between the rails with a very long train rolling overhead. The rain is driving into the windows, the wind is howling and the snow is dense and heavy. The trees have become a drenched orchestra,
It must be a nightmare for homeless people stuck out in this.
I'm trying to see positives. Since I have glasses, the moment I step outside I can't even see negatives. All I can come up with is maybe the Corys will breed, thinking it's a monsoon starting.

And the weather front that has brought warm, 7c air into a snowstorm will vanish, and all of this will flash freeze tonight. I think I'll be staying in.

Closer to home...the tornado that caused this damage passed right over my town before touching down in Orange County...thankfully, it was in the sky when it passed over me...scary stuff...wasn't enough room in the bathtub for me, Mrs. Slap, and the 3 dogs: https://www.12newsnow.com/article/n...mage/502-d80bdb0d-b39e-46d1-b8dd-32818183f3e5

Just shoveled the driveway for the fourth time in 24hrs, sigh, this must have been another 3 inches.

Warming up, but I’d past year trends stick this year, we will have another major cold snap and snow storm in February before it actually warms up. False spring.

Closer to home...the tornado that caused this damage passed right over my town before touching down in Orange County...thankfully, it was in the sky when it passed over me...scary stuff...wasn't enough room in the bathtub for me, Mrs. Slap, and the 3 dogs: https://www.12newsnow.com/article/n...mage/502-d80bdb0d-b39e-46d1-b8dd-32818183f3e5
NWS was here yesterday, confirmed that TWO tornadoes touched down in OC, an EF1 and an EF2 (the EF2 was the one that passed over me)...:oops:

@Slaphppy7 I saw that on the news and thought about you. Scary indeed !

Going to be cold cold cold. Temp dropping to -12F on Friday night. Wind chill will be -34F

Last edited:
@Alice B , how are things up there? Much of Texas dealing with dangerous, icy conditions

Rainy/cold/miserable here, but above freezing for the remainder of the week

I've been busy running hot water to the hens, bringing in firewood. I thought I was going to the post office yesterday, took a look at my driveway and street and those papers will be mailed when it thaws. Post office isn't delivering either. It was sleet when I took this pic, now it's glare ice but temp is not bad, around 28. so water inside the coops doesn't freeze, just the big water container in the run. Moving water doesn't freeze, well all the way. My daughter near Athens lost power at 3 yesterday due to ice storm breaking tree branches that pulled down lines and transformers. She got it back on about 11 this morning

Attachments

• 20230131_092136.jpg
    20230131_092136.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230131_135148.jpg
    20230131_135148.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230131_135134.jpg
    20230131_135134.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 12
I've been busy running hot water to the hens, bringing in firewood. I thought I was going to the post office yesterday, took a look at my driveway and street and those papers will be mailed when it thaws. Post office isn't delivering either. It was sleet when I took this pic, now it's glare ice but temp is not bad, around 28. so water inside the coops doesn't freeze, just the big water container in the run. Moving water doesn't freeze, well all the way. My daughter near Athens lost power at 3 yesterday due to ice storm breaking tree branches that pulled down lines and transformers. She got it back on about 11 this morning
Wow...I'll stop complaining about the cold rain now...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back