The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jag51186 said:
I'm just curious about something, if the bag is being kept dark and quiet and such, would you be able to put a little bit of filter media in the bag with the fish to process any ammonia generated during travel?? Assuming the media isn't in a form that's small enough to be eaten by the fish.
Technically you could add some, but there is no real reason to do so and I don't think it would really help.  Not feeding the fish for 48 hours will help to empty their system so they do not create as much waste during transport.  Fish are shipped all the time with this method with no real adverse affects.

My understanding is the bacteria would need to have moving water in order to process ammonia, it's probably not going to help if you have some media in with your fish.

Sorry if this is a really insensitive question, but what are you going to do when he gets over a foot long, and his tank is 55g<?

LyraGuppi said:
Sorry if this is a really insensitive question, but what are you going to do when he gets over a foot long, and his tank is 55g<?
By then I'll be out of school, so it won't be an issue. I only have 1 year left of school, and I plan to get a tank that's nice and big to accommodate him.
smile.png
 This traveling thing sure is a bummer, but I'll only have to do it this year. After that, he'll never have to travel again.

Ah, ok! That's great, I was thinking trucking a 1 foot fish for 16hrs may not be a pleasant experience. :D

I have travled 8 hours with better fish. I have also shipped Betta fish around the Country and I have bought fish online. I know a little about shipping fish. 

Get an an insulated box of some kind. You don't want too much Temperature change. Don't feed your fish the day before the trip So they poop less during the drive. When you bag them make sure you use FRESH CLEAN WATER. Treated tap water thats the same temp or a little bit warmer then the tank the fish is moving from. Get a big big enough bag for the fish can be covered in water when swimming upright. Try and make it so that it is half air and half water. More air is better. Tie the bag up really tight so it is like a balloon. pack your fish in the insulated box keep it covered. Off you go. Fish should be fine. 

I would ask your local fish store for some bags. The ones they use to send fish home in. They are the perfect size. Try and double bag them just incase the fish manages to pop the bag the second bag will keep water in. When you double bag invert the bags. When the fish is in the bag and Tied out. Flip it upside down so the tie is sliding into the other bag. You want your bags Tight no air or water should get out. 

Wish me luck guys, I followed all of your directions. Houdini is in a large bag meant for fish, the water in it has been treated and it's the right SG as well. I have a bit over half filled with air. He's in the dark and I have the bag in a bowl with some padding so he doesn't get too jostled. So far he's doing okay. If I make any quick stops, I'll undo the bag and redo it so fresh air can get in.

Hi Fizz

How did the drive go? Hopefully you and your fish made it in one piece :)

He did well! He's back in his tank now and doing fine. :) when I traveled with him, every time we made a stop I untied the bag and refilled it with new air. Probably unnecessary, but it made me feel better lol.

MadameFizzgig said:
He did well! He's back in his tank now and doing fine.
smile.png
when I traveled with him, every time we made a stop I untied the bag and refilled it with new air. Probably unnecessary, but it made me feel better lol.

Sometimes doing things just for 'state of mind' are hardly unnecessary.  If it makes you less anxious while completing a long drive, then it is completely worthwhile.  

Congrats, you are now a fish traveling vet!  

Hey everyone, Planing for a travel with fish? Animal are friends and they are not making anything bad for us. That's us who makes bad desicions. I think that when we are going to other country is safety and our animals are in danger when we crossing the border. However I searched a lot of countries where safety is priority and discovered site travelsafe-abroad.com that's really helped me out with this. Hope that was useful.

Last edited:
Note: Thus post is 4 years old. Please start a new thread if you need help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back