How To Go About This

jess6905

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
562
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
upstate new york
I acquired a rather nice piece of drift wood recently, and would like to use it in my 55 gallon tank when I can regain control over it(hubby took it over and doesn't do anything about it grrr). I was told to let it soak in bleach water and let it sun dry a few days when I was thinking about using it for my air plants to grow on, but is there a better way to prepare it for use in a tank?
 
Just soak it. DO NOT use bleach, as it can soak into the wood and then sock into the tank causing issues... As above, if you can fit it in a pan, boiling is quicker than soaking, but if it's a big bit... For soaking, replace the water daily and keep soaking it until the water used to soak it is clear after 24 hours with the wood.

All the best
Rabbut
 
No bleach. Just soak it in hot water everyday you will need to change the water. I used a bucket in a tub that we never use. I would dump the water out everyday and fill with Steaming hot water. I did this for a month. Then I took one piece and put it out side to dry for a few days. It took lots of soaking but they are in and don't turn the water too dark. Just a hint of tea color is good.

You could soak it for a week or 2 and put it in. The tannins don't hurt the fish so you could just do water changes when you see it gets too brown. Also carbon in the filter will help with the Color.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top