April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ashwate20

Reaction score
I got a 5.5 gal tank today as an upgrade for my betta. I need to cycle it but I need to know where to start and what to do. Today I put rocks, water, the filter, and stress coat in the tank and a couple cups of water from my other tank. Is there a way to cycle without buying ammonia? Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 64
If the betta is already in a tank, all you need to do is move everything over to the new tank - substrate, decor and most importantly the filter. And move the betta at the same time. These contain almost all the bacteria in the current tank, you'll just lose the bacteria growing on the tank itself. Provided the tank has had regular water changes, the tank water will be pretty similar to your tap water so you don't need to move any water. But if water changes have been small and infrequent, then yes, move some water as well.
Monitor ammonia and nitrite for several days to make sure, and do a water change if either show above zero.

Another thing you could do is to get some live floating plants - salvinia, frogbit, whatever is available where you live. Floating plants do two things - they take up ammonia and don't turn it into nitrite; and they provide cover for the betta and roots for him to swim though.

Most reactions

trending

Back