How to ammonia levels down

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Halawrence

Reaction score
Hi guys! So I have a 5.5 gallon fish tank with a betta and a mystery snail. They get along great which is nice. However, I am doing almost 75% water changes weekly. Today, I tested the water and the ammonia was 2.0 ppm. I water change every Saturday. I am really having problems keeping his ammonia levels down. He typically eats all his food and the algae supplement I give my neirte snail I take out after a couple of hours. I tend to give this supplement every three days.
Any advice? I am fixing to do a water change right now.
20200218_183604.jpg

How long has your tank been running? Did it complete it's nitrogen cycle? Live plants will help, fast growing floating plants like hornwort, anacharis and water sprite are best at absorbing ammonia, I see you have moss balls, they will help with nitrates, they are not really moss but a form of algae. I have them also. The rest look like plastic, that looks nice but does nothing for the quality of your water. I would suggest doing more water changes a week until you get the ammonia levels down. Also do a really good vacuuming of your gravel each time. Try and do 3 or more water changes a week if you can and make sure you add water conditioner to deal with the chlorine.

How long has your tank been running? Did it complete it's nitrogen cycle? Live plants will help, fast growing floating plants like hornwort, anacharis and water sprite are best at absorbing ammonia, I see you have moss balls, they will help with nitrates, they are not really moss but a form of algae. I have them also. The rest look like plastic, that looks nice but does nothing for the quality of your water. I would suggest doing more water changes a week until you get the ammonia levels down. Also do a really good vacuuming of your gravel each time. Try and do 3 or more water changes a week if you can and make sure you add water conditioner to deal with the chlorine.
Sadly no it did not complete before I put my fish in. I didn't know to do this til after. However, the tank has been cycling for almost two months now and I add safe start after a huge water change to help. I have not added real plants yet bc I have never had real plants. I am planning on adding then this summer when I can keep an eye on them better and my school year ends. But first I need to add to the substrate because I don't have a large enough layer yet. I have thought about starting with some of the floating plants yet but I am still researching that.

Also should I start doing a 50% water change every three days instead of the 75% water change I have been doing weekly?

Have you got a filter on the tank?

If you have an ammonia problem after 2 months, there is either no filter or the filter is not working correctly.

Reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.

You should also do a 75% water change any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If you have an ammonia problem after 2 months, there is either no filter or the filter is not working correctly.

Reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.

You should also do a 75% water change any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
There is a filter, and it has been running right
Maybe I need to make sure it is correctly? I currently feed my betta two days, fast two days in a cycle.

Also his Nitrite reading are always great 0 ppm. The highest I ever seen it climb was 0.25 ppm but that has not happened in a while His Nitrates tend to fit between 5.0 ppm amd 10 ppm.

Here is a picture of what his filter looks like. Would this help?

Attachments

• 15846694281246796871754614843797.jpg
    15846694281246796871754614843797.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 102
Here is a picture of what his filter looks like. Would this help?
Honestly, with a plant like hornwort, it doesn't need much attention. It's a super fast grower, and super effective at getting rid of nitrates. I would suggest adding plants in asap to make it a bit easier for you

Do you change the filter pad regularly or just wash it out and re-use it?

If you replace the filter pad, you get rid of the good filter bacteria and that will cause ammonia problems.

You can buy sponges for different types of filter and cut them to fit. Then use sponge instead of the filter pads. Sponges last for years and get squeezed out in a bucket of tank water every 2-4 weeks and then re-used.

If you do add sponges, leave the filter pad and sponges in the filter together for at least a month before removing the cartridge. Then leave the sponge in the filter and don't bother replacing the cartridge.

If you replace the filter pad, you get rid of the good filter bacteria and that will cause ammonia problems.

You can buy sponges for different types of filter and cut them to fit. Then use sponge instead of the filter pads. Sponges last for years and get squeezed out in a bucket of tank water every 2-4 weeks and then re-used.

If you do add sponges, leave the filter pad and sponges in the filter together for at least a month before removing the cartridge. Then leave the sponge in the filter and don't bother replacing the cartridge.
I did not know that the filter could be rinsed and reused or that doing so would be beneficial! I really like this forum and am glad that I joined.

I did not know that the filter could be rinsed and reused or that doing so would be beneficial! I really like this forum and am glad that I joined.
Yeah you can reuse filter cartridges by rinsing them in aquarium water once a month. Saves a lot of money and bacteria

I haven't changed it at all. Someone told me I shouldn't. I cant remember who. I haven't rinsed it out either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back